Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon out of the garage and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few questions.

1. I have been using summons to get out of the garage. It’s a garages attached to my home and has really no blocking. But since the last update it goes a little then shuts down.
Any thoughts?
2. Can summon use Homelink to open my garage?
3. Also since the last update summon Thinks part of parking lots are “public roads”

Anyone else have these issues or advice?

Let me say that normally I do not use Summon, as I think it is currently a toy. It is my understanding that Smart Summon will not hit your garage door, and that it is supposed to open it if closed. I have read Elon's comments that Summon is being worked on now, and that they hope to fix it for coming to pick you up, and make advances to dropping you off and finding a legal parking space to park in (good luck with that effort!). I thought I would try it a couple of weeks ago to come pick me up. It slowly backed out of the spot and started down the parking lane. Instead of going to the end of the lane and turning to come down the lane I was in, it tried to take a short cut going between two parked cars thru the other marked parking spaces and got stuck, nearly hitting both before stopping. I don't think the current iteration is any better than my last failed attempts at use. I think they are only testing summon on SoCal parking lots.

Yea. It does seem like it’s finicky. I’m too afraid to have it park in the garage for me. But taking it out I’m ok with.
It works. I wonder if it has to do with how far away or close I am to the car as well as my garage has a small lip it needs to go over to fully get out. But who knows.

I have never been able to summon my car completely out of my garage either, since I bought the car last year.

My garage has a small lip with slightly sloped driveway, which I believe is throwing summon offf. Because the car pull up all the way to the edge of my garage and then completely stops.

It looks like summon will only work on a flat continuous road, any change in terrain and it gets thrown off.

Last edited:
I have never been able to summon my car completely out of my garage either, since I bought the car last year.

My garage has a small lip with slightly sloped driveway, which I believe is throwing summon offf. Because the car pull up all the way to the edge of my driveway and then completely stops.

It looks like summon will only work on a flat continuous road, any change in terrain and it gets thrown off.
Sounds like exactly what I’m experiencing. Small lip. Sloped driveway.

My garage has a small lip with slightly sloped driveway, which I believe is throwing summon offf. Because the car pull up all the way to the edge of my garage and then completely stops.

I'm disagree a little bit here with my old 15' 85D with AP1.
I've got a decent incline up gravel to an inclined concrete section at the edge of the garage and then to the flat concrete in the garage.
The first time I told Summon to back out of the garage it stopped half way out and said the incline was too great. But since then I've used it a number of times and it's worked going in and out without hitting anything.

But it definitely won't work on a steep driveway. I can't recall what the manual said for sure but maybe something like a 5% incline?

My driveway is flat enough that it will back out without issue, but will no longer pull all the way in since adding a racedeck garage floor. The lip is apparently too much for it to handle.

The car will also not fully back out of my girlfriend's parents' garage as they have a steeper driveway.

All I am saying is that since the latest update (which I think was last week) I can not get my car to pull out of my garage.
Now I’m not sure if there’s a setting I need to adjust or not. But it used to do it and now it does not.

Here is the lip.
Here is the slope.
It basically pulls until
It senses the lip.

Attachments

• IMG_3050.jpeg
    IMG_3050.jpeg
    959 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3051.jpeg
    IMG_3051.jpeg
    933.8 KB · Views: 51
I'm not sure if any of these will help, but here are some observations about my history with Summon on a 2015 P85D.

When I had MCU1 in the car, using Summon from the app was a nonstarter. It would move a few feet and then cut out saying that I had covered up something on my phone. After upgrading to MCU2, Summon via the app worked without fail.

While I had problems with the app and MCU1, using the key fob worked every time- in the event you have not used this function before, it's a long hold on the middle of the fob, then a press on either end to indicate the direction. The same can be said for auto-park while in the car, which is just putting the car in Park, waiting a beat and double-tapping Park again before indicating the direction and exiting the car. I would then use the fob to get the car out of the garage.

Within a month of ownership I set the proximity tolerances to the maximum available, and it can now navigate to within a half-inch of obstructions in my garage.

If I use Summon to park, the car will return to that same spot when using Summon to pull out. If I manually pull in, pulling out via Summon will cause it to meander to the end of the driveway and block the sidewalk. I'm sure I can adjust the distance in the car but I don't find myself in that situation too often so I haven't bothered.

Never in the probably 800+ times that I have used Summon has it caused the car to impact anything. If you think you can get it to park itself in your garage, it would be interesting to see if it continued to refuse to move more than a foot the next time you used it.

I set Homelink to close the door after each Summon at home, but I think it only triggers about half the time, and only when I'm parking, not departing.

I'm not sure if any of these will help, but here are some observations about my history with Summon on a 2015 P85D.

When I had MCU1 in the car, using Summon from the app was a nonstarter. It would move a few feet and then cut out saying that I had covered up something on my phone. After upgrading to MCU2, Summon via the app worked without fail.

While I had problems with the app and MCU1, using the key fob worked every time- in the event you have not used this function before, it's a long hold on the middle of the fob, then a press on either end to indicate the direction. The same can be said for auto-park while in the car, which is just putting the car in Park, waiting a beat and double-tapping Park again before indicating the direction and exiting the car. I would then use the fob to get the car out of the garage.

Within a month of ownership I set the proximity tolerances to the maximum available, and it can now navigate to within a half-inch of obstructions in my garage.

If I use Summon to park, the car will return to that same spot when using Summon to pull out. If I manually pull in, pulling out via Summon will cause it to meander to the end of the driveway and block the sidewalk. I'm sure I can adjust the distance in the car but I don't find myself in that situation too often so I haven't bothered.

Never in the probably 800+ times that I have used Summon has it caused the car to impact anything. If you think you can get it to park itself in your garage, it would be interesting to see if it continued to refuse to move more than a foot the next time you used it.

I set Homelink to close the door after each Summon at home, but I think it only triggers about half the time, and only when I'm parking, not departing.
Love what you’re saying but only partially understand it. Especially when you talk about the settings. Anyway you can send some screen shots. Also I have mcu2 are you saying you are using summons with the fob and that is better than the app.

I have HW3 in our MY with FSD Beta (was 11.4.4, and now it's 11.4.7.3). It has no problem backing out of our garage, over a small lip, and down our driveway. It's not the fastest, and it hesitates once in a while, but it gets either all the way out or almost all the way out (good enough to get in and drive off).

I've found connectivity seems to be the biggest issue for it not working. Also, even though it's FSD Beta, I'm pretty sure Summons still uses the 4 your old software stack and not the latest Occupancy Network stuff. I should point out that I only use the "down arrow" to move the car, not the pick your spot and have it go there. Might try that tonight and see how it does...

I wonder if when my phone is on wifi is part of the problem.

Also when you say proximity…would you be willing to screen shot the proximity setting you have. I think I need to change mine but not sure how they work or what they exactly mean.

I never tried using the fob and didn’t know that was an option.

I do have mcu2