Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My attempt at being a good role model...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my S in for its annual service and was given a loaner P85+ for the weekend. I let my god son drive it...and as evidenced by the energy graph, he had a great time! Sorry that the picture is so blurry, but lets just say that we found out that the speed hadn't been limited to 80 mph... :wink:

No surprise, but he loved the car. Used this as a teaching opportunity to tell him to finish college so he could buy his own (I had to do something to redeem myself as a good role model!?!) Oh, in case you want to know...107 was the top speed. I mentioned it casually to service when I dropped it off this morning. I am sure that they have turned the speed limiter on, but we sure had a blast while it lasted!

Update: Just to clarify to everyone who posted...our route was on River Road in Puyallup. There is a stretch that is 50 mph and has no cross streets. If you timed the traffic lights right, you had the road to yourself.

Energy Chart.JPG

Last edited:
Let me be the first to say, and don't take this the wrong way but, why the **** would you allow a recent high school graduate to drive 107 mph?

Again don't take any offense, I'm merely cursing to express my anger with your behavior.

Agree with AMPd.

Also isn't it the case that when one gets a loaner at a Tesla service center, one has to fill out a one-page form with one's drivers license and signature and such, and part of it says you agree that you're the only driver while in possession of the loaner?

Who says they weren't in a desolate remote location with a long stretch of straight road. Can you be sure anyone was actually in tangible danger?

Let me be the first to say, and don't take this the wrong way but, why the **** would you allow a recent high school graduate to drive 107 mph?

Again don't take any offense, I'm merely cursing to express my anger with your behavior.

Geoff, I'm afraid I'll have to join in piling on here. I don't think being a good role model includes enabling an 18-year-old to drive 107 mph. Teenaged boys have a well-deserved reputation for risky behavior and poor judgement. At their age they cannot have logged enough hours behind the wheel to be able to regain control once something goes wrong.

Quite apart from the legal liability to you if he had crashed it, I wonder how you would have explained it all to his parents at the funeral of your godson and whomever he was showing off for.

Awesome car. Glad you guys had a great ride. I'll be driving through Seattle this summer on a vacation road trip.

I have to pile on too, Geoff. I would not have appreciated a car doing 107mph next to me on a public road. I got friends. I got family. I don't want to die because someone went for a joy ride tonight. I know you mean well, but my safety (and that of the public) comes before joyriding.

- K

To respond to those who have been piling on -
now, I most definitely am not condoning what happened BUT when I first looked at the thread title what I sensed was a self-deprecatory attempt at humor, as in "I was trying to be a good role model but this awesome car got the best of both me and junior...".

Maybe I'm being pollyannish about this but I try to look at the good side of people as I've learned that quite a few of us aren't perfect.

now, I most definitely am not condoning what happened BUT when I first looked at the thread title what I sensed was a self-deprecatory attempt at humor, as in "I was trying to be a good role model but this awesome car got the best of both me and junior...".

Maybe I'm being pollyannish about this but I try to look at the good side of people as I've learned that quite a few of us aren't perfect.

Pollyanna, your post led me to re-read the OP as well. It was then I realized that OP was with his godson while he was driving 107 in a 50 mph zone in a borrowed car.

I understand. I tried to stay out of this thread for that reason.

That said, I live very near where this happened. I've driven the road he mentions too many times to count. There's no time when I would ever consider a speed anywhere close to that even remotely safe on that stretch of road. While there may not be cross streets, there are many driveways and frequently pedestrians at all hours of the day along this stretch of road.

Add to that, the US Open is happening near here this week. One of two shuttle parking lots to the Tournament is not far from that path (and very close to the Fairview Drive on the GPS). I have seen more Washington State Patrol cars in the last three days in this area than I've seen in the last 10 years of living here, and I'm not exaggerating for effect.

I understand. I tried to stay out of this thread for that reason.

That said, I live very near where this happened. I've driven the road he mentions too many times to count. There's no time when I would ever consider a speed anywhere close to that even remotely safe on that stretch of road. While there may not be cross streets, there are many driveways and frequently pedestrians at all hours of the day along this stretch of road.

Add to that, the US Open is happening near here this week. One of two shuttle parking lots to the Tournament is not far from that path (and very close to the Fairview Drive on the GPS). I have seen more Washington State Patrol cars in the last three days in this area than I've seen in the last 10 years of living here, and I'm not exaggerating for effect.

If it's the stretch of River Road from Washington 161 to I-5, I counted not less than 45 side streets. True enough only one is a "cross street", but throw in the numerous business/industry along that road, we're talking about at least >100 entry points in six miles. What is our reaction time to a vehicle entering the roadway? Even given the awesome stopping power of the Model S, 107 MPH = 156.33 feet per second.

No need to draw any conclusions as everyone can read, or direct any pronouncements toward the OP; this thread has legs and TMC will pile on for days. But as the father of a male high school senior, I find this episode unfathomable.