Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My comments on 2022 Tesla Model X PLAID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of an April build of a 2022 Model X PLAID 5 days ago, and I have a few observations I thought this community might like to see. I had a 2020 Model X LR before this.

Things I like:
  • The UI is noticeably faster and feels like a totally different piece of software than v11 was for the 2020 Intel Atom.
    • The animations in the "heads up" display for vehicles, signs etc. are butter smooth.
  • Seat coolers! I've always wanted a car that had seat coolers.
  • The center console area is way better. It's way more practical than my 2020 X was.
  • The cabin is noticeably quieter than the 2020 was. I am guessing this largely due to the thicker glass for the windows.
  • You can use your phone as a key or a key card or a key fob. So many options!
  • It's FAST. Really fast. It puts a smile on your face every time you floor it.

Things I don't like:
  • Noise canceling is a total joke. I'm happy that the cabin is quieter overall, but there is almost no discernable difference between having noise canceling enabled / disabled. I can only hope that this will be improved in future software updates. Again, this "feature" is more than lacking. I'm doubling down on this only because the marketing of "Active Noise Reduction" made it sound like this would be a neat feature.
  • Headlights. Where are the MATRIX headlights?? The Sales rep at Tesla told me this VIN has "MATRIX CC" headlights. Pretty sure these are the same headlights from 2020.
  • The inside styling of the front doors feels "cheaper" to me. I get that they are going with a cleaner look, but the 2020 Model X was more to my liking. There is cloth on the door now. Why?
  • The auto present feature is terrible. I don't know what is going on. This worked really well in 2020 Model X, but it is a 50/50 chance with the 2020 PLAID. The door sometimes opens a little, then never swings open. More annoyingly, the door CANNOT be trusted to auto close. With 2020 Model X you could walk away and know that the door would 100% close on it's own. Not with this door. Also, there is way more resistance with these doors when you manually open. You can hear the gears moving when you manually open the door.
  • The capacitive buttons on the steering yoke are terrible. The horn being a capacitive button is terrible. The fact that I have to engage autopilot by pressing a button that doubles as a scroll wheel and triples as a left / right joystick is probably the worst offender of it all. It feels like I am using an Android phone from 2012. I constantly feel like I accidently scrolled the wheel up while trying to engage autopilot.
  • My vehicle came with a couple of issues:
    • There are audible clicking sounds when turning the wheel. It sounds like something is really tight. Almost as if the clicking is coming from the lower control arms or bearings or something similar.
    • There are audible rubbing sounds when turning the steering yoke in certain conditions. Sounds / feels like it's rubbing on another part of the dash or steering column.
    • There is an audible sound coming from the right speakers that is hard to describe. For short bursts of time it sounds like a loose ground hum and sometimes like a high/mid-range static sound. It appears to go away, not sure the pattern yet.
    • Different from the above description, I have noticed sudden quick pops or pauses when listening to music. It feels like it's somehow related to accelerating or braking, but not sure the pattern yet.
Things I'm not sure about yet:
  • The sound system. I consider myself an audiophile. My initial impression is that I don't like the sound signature of this system. The sound is clear, very loud and has zero distortion - and yet the sound is overly harsh and difficult to "warm" up. The bass and subwoofer settings are also configured interestingly. Even though you can independently control the subwoofer level in the UI, it is also unexpectedly tied to the bass slider. For example, if you slide the subwoofer levels all the way up, but bring down the non-subwoofer bass slider down, it will directly impact the sound level of the subwoofer. The subwoofer is not one that you really "feel" but instead one that you "hear" too much, which results in really unpleasant listening experience if you are trying to get the system to have bass that can "punch" the low notes. I'm not sure what kind of DAC / EQ chip they are using, but I hope Tesla eventually allows for more refined EQ control of the sound as I think that most of the negative points I described could be fixed with better control of the sound.
  • The rear display. Initial impression is that it's cool that there is a screen, but the main display is way larger to look at, even from the rear seats. On the other hand, it is nice for rear passengers to control media, select their own media and control things like climate control and seat warmers.
  • The yoke. I am pretty sure I don't like it, but I am trying to give it a shot. Yes, it looks cool. Makes it look futuristic and all. However, it does not add any practical value to driving. In fact, it makes turning objectively worse. Still, willing to give a shot over the coming weeks.
5FCF17E3-A987-4096-A6C1-5A103AAADEAE.jpeg

("TESLA MODEL X.jpg" by Tokumeigakarinoaoshima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
For you to notice any difference with ANC you have to have your head pressed back against the headrest... and even then its a really really tiny difference.

I could never get the door to self close when walking away to work.... Do I have to have self presenting doors turned on for this feature to work? (this is my first Tesla so I am not sure)

Give the Yoke a little more time, I grew to really like it, especially when you are out on the highway. Even my wife likes it now which totally shocked me, she doesn't really like change and this was a drastic one... But after a few days she said she didn't mind it, and then after a couple of weeks she actually said she liked it.

I have the LR version and the acceleration is stomach churning, rollercoaster feel fast.... I can't even imagine what the Plaid feels like lol, you guys with Plaid must feel like you are taking off in a fighter Jet each time you mash the accelerator.
I found that the self close works when the "Auto Door" or something with a similar name option is checked on, so the opening and closing of doors automatically is tied together and you can't choose only one side of the function. I had to turn it off eventually because the door was randomly opening in the garage that is right under our bedrooms. I think it's because the car detects the phones through the floor when we're using the phone in our beds.

I gave my wife a couple of launches in the Plaid while driving her to work one day and she told me to seriously stop because it was making her sick and she told me later in the evening that she's felt crappy all day probably because of the launches. I kinda wish I had gotten the LR model because the novelty of the Plaid wears off pretty quick and there's just not that many uses for having a faster, more expensive, and less efficient car in the form of an SUV. And the LR's acceleration is still on par with some of the best ICE sports coupes, which is only slightly less crazy considering that it's an SUV. I feel the only real value of the extra 30k cost of the Plaid comes in when you have a buddy that's never been in a Plaid, sitting in the passenger seat, as it's almost guaranteed to produce crazy good times for a few minutes.

I gave my wife a couple of launches in the Plaid while driving her to work one day and she told me to seriously stop because it was making her sick and she told me later in the evening that she's felt crappy all day probably because of the launches. I kinda wish I had gotten the LR model because the novelty of the Plaid wears off pretty quick and there's just not that many uses for having a faster, more expensive, and less efficient car in the form of an SUV. And the LR's acceleration is still on par with some of the best ICE sports coupes, which is only slightly less crazy considering that it's an SUV. I feel the only real value of the extra 30k cost of the Plaid comes in when you have a buddy that's never been in a Plaid, sitting in the passenger seat, as it's almost guaranteed to produce crazy good times for a few minutes.
Sorry to hear about your wife but stuff like this makes me smile and confirms i want to waste the extra money for the Plaid i have ordered, haha! Completely valid point that the LR is more than enough, but I cant help myself thinking that the Plaid is the way to go. I just need someone in my life to tell me it is a bad decision. Or maybe i dont...... ;-)

Reactions: oreobbq
Have tried a few things to get yoke comfortable. No techniques seem to get me to the wheel level. However when I am making small adjustments or driving straight ahead I do like it better than a wheel! Having to locate a turn signal button doesn't help matters.
I would put up with a glovebox noise if I did not have to find a screen button to open it. Have no idea why they thought to do that.
The self close doors feature when walking away was flawless on my 2019. The 2022 is iffy. Scheduled a service appointment today to deal with it.
Service had the car for a week fixing some panels that were delivered out of alignment. Asked them to check out the door issue while they had it, but they were a stickler for wanting time stamps. Cannot be cost effective for them to have to deal with my car twice.

" I just need someone in my life to tell me it is a bad decision."
Just stop reading now!
The effortless way such a large safe car can get up and go never gets old.
Read somewhere that only the Plaid has torque vectoring which impacts the handling.
It definitely handles better than my previous X without torque vectoring.....and that one had new Pirellis on it.

Have tried a few things to get yoke comfortable. No techniques seem to get me to the wheel level. However when I am making small adjustments or driving straight ahead I do like it better than a wheel! Having to locate a turn signal button doesn't help matters.
I would put up with a glovebox noise if I did not have to find a screen button to open it. Have no idea why they thought to do that.
The self close doors feature when walking away was flawless on my 2019. The 2022 is iffy. Scheduled a service appointment today to deal with it.
Service had the car for a week fixing some panels that were delivered out of alignment. Asked them to check out the door issue while they had it, but they were a stickler for wanting time stamps. Cannot be cost effective for them to have to deal with my car twice.
I've never used the glovebox button on my MYP. I always just hit the voice command button and say "open glovebox" and its done. Much easier than searching for a stupid button buried in the screen somewhere, haha!

I found that the self close works when the "Auto Door" or something with a similar name option is checked on, so the opening and closing of doors automatically is tied together and you can't choose only one side of the function. I had to turn it off eventually because the door was randomly opening in the garage that is right under our bedrooms. I think it's because the car detects the phones through the floor when we're using the phone in our beds.

Ok that’s what I figured regarding the door. We are in the same boat as you, turned it off because sometimes we keep the car in the driveway and the door would pop open every time we stepped out for anything.

Thanks for these comments. I have ordered an X Plaid to replace my X PDL from 2016, which was one of the first delivered in Sweden and which I have loved despite some issues, especially with internet connection / Spotify / muted sound. I am not expecting delivery until late this year and I am very curious about how FSD will play out. My current stone age autopilot is already so much more useful than I ever thought it would be. The performance has been fun (although 0-100 kmph at least 1 second slower than Plaid) but in all honesty that is a ridiculously expensive feature since I only use it fully a couple of times per year to have fun with friends. Hopefully it has some second hand value and it was also a way of speeding up delivery here.

Exactly. It’s good for a few joy rides with friends. Not to mention launches will probably speed up vibration issues with the shafts and tire wear. You don’t want to keep it in Plaid mode either (it will chew up watts and possibly limit AC to the cabin) The LR is close to as fast as the previous gen performance. That $40K will get me a brand new S LR (with trade) in a few years.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr

Regarding the yoke, you do get used to it. I also initially felt awkward with the yoke but as you get used to it the awkwardness goes away and it feels just as natural as a wheel.

Two pointers I can give you about using the yoke is:

1. When you make tight turns, it's easier if you start pushing up the bottom of the other side of the yoke so that you get a 360 degree turn control with just one hand.

2. Another easy way to make turns with the yoke is to push forward into the yoke with the base of your palm and turning instead of gripping it from the side like usual.

Also, the turn signals becomes familiar with use and eventually after a few weeks, you don't have to look or think to find them. In the beginning it helps to remember that right is top and left is bottom, just like the direction a regular signal stalk is engaged on other cars.

Regarding the yoke, you do get used to it. I also initially felt awkward with the yoke but as you get used to it the awkwardness goes away and it feels just as natural as a wheel.

Two pointers I can give you about using the yoke is:

1. When you make tight turns, it's easier if you start pushing up the bottom of the other side of the yoke so that you get a 360 degree turn control with just one hand.

2. Another easy way to make turns with the yoke is to push forward into the yoke with the base of your palm and turning instead of gripping it from the side like usual.

Also, the turn signals becomes familiar with use and eventually after a few weeks, you don't have to look or think to find them. In the beginning it helps to remember that right is top and left is bottom, just like the direction a regular signal stalk is engaged on other cars.
I think I’ve done what you suggest.

But one key I think to using the Yoke are the nubs at the top.

Say hard right. Grab the top right corner. Thumb under (inside the Yoke), index on top right next to the nub. Other fingers are on the side of the wheel, just relaxed.

Just crank it with your index finger. Thumb kind of helps keep hand in place most of the way. But as your hand comes down you just kind of let the thumb fall out and index keeps going. This works up to a certain point. If you run out of comfort/ control then the left hand can take over as you describe and lift on the left.

Most of the time the index with the nub is enough for normal turns. Parking you need the opposite hand to lift to continue the turn. It’s not that terribly different from a round wheel with two spokes and you don’t use the top that often.

Most awkward is undoing the turn. Where with a wheel you could Len it slide under the right hand on right turn. But with yoke you have to reverse what you did. But lately I’ve done a slight no hands to let it return.

I have done it all with the left (lifting) for a right turn. But I find pushing down with index and nub to be more natural and comfortable.

Sounds more complex than it is. Try it.

Can you please dig into this more with your SC (and report back here)? There are multiple reports of this exact issue. My SA tells me that my car has Matrix headlights as well, and I assume he's looking at this same code. But we've yet to see even a SINGLE X with matrix headlights delivered yet.
I have a 2021 M3P and they are matrix. However matrix headlights are not officially approved in the states yet. Once approved then I would assume Tesla will release software to implement the functionality. To test it us a wall as a back drop at night and turn on high beams you should see beam patterns in multiple line formations stacked on top of each other. If so, they are matrix.

I don’t buy this either.

Taking trip to Nashville today. I’ll test out the various mode during highway travel.

I've read through the entire manual and the only thing regarding Plaid mode's possible usage of battery is the fact that the car will try to keep the optimum temperature for battery at all times in Plaid mode, which implies that if the battery temp is too cold or hot(I don't know the parameters) juice will be used to either warm or cool the battery in Plaid mode while Chill and Sport mode the car will not try to warm or cool the battery while driving.

So my guess is that the supposed extra electricity usage only comes in after you've done a bunch of launches or if the weather is cold while in Plaid mode. It could be significant or minimal depending on what the "optimal temperature" parameters for the battery is set to by Tesla.

I did notice a slight decrease in average kwh per mile since I've stopped using Plaid mode, but that could just be the fact that I've also stopped doing launches. When I drive in Plaid mode every once in a while now, I don't really notice a significantly higher kwh per mile, perhaps because the battery didn't need to be warmed or cooled.

• Informative
Reactions: strider
I've read through the entire manual and the only thing regarding Plaid mode's possible usage of battery is the fact that the car will try to keep the optimum temperature for battery at all times in Plaid mode, which implies that if the battery temp is too cold or hot(I don't know the parameters) juice will be used to either warm or cool the battery in Plaid mode while Chill and Sport mode the car will not try to warm or cool the battery while driving.

So my guess is that the supposed extra electricity usage only comes in after you've done a bunch of launches or if the weather is cold while in Plaid mode. It could be significant or minimal depending on what the "optimal temperature" parameters for the battery is set to by Tesla.

I did notice a slight decrease in average kwh per mile since I've stopped using Plaid mode, but that could just be the fact that I've also stopped doing launches. When I drive in Plaid mode every once in a while now, I don't really notice a significantly higher kwh per mile, perhaps because the battery didn't need to be warmed or cooled.
One member, in a hot climate, running Plaid mode was complaining his A/C wasn't cooling the cabin enough. Maybe his A/C is broken. I had a hunch he was driving in Plaid mode. BINGO I was right. Grant that could be one lucky guess and nothing to do with it.

This has historically been mentioned on older cars as well (without plaid mode) that cooling gets prioritized to the battery or motors. On the X, the A/C had two size A/C systems, 5 seater vs 6/7. Many complained 5 Seater in hot climate wasn't enough. Seen complaints during supercharging as well on old cars and hot climates.

Now we have a new place to route "Extra" cooling BTU capacity too, the battery and 3 motors, just so you can gun it and go x% faster at moments notice.

Tesla is not going to size the heat pump 2x for maximum Cabin needs and maximum Plaid cooling/heating needs in Max Climate needs. That would be stupid because it would be expensive and inefficient, on average. They would shoot for like 1.2x - 1.5x capacity. It's not about wh/mi, we know that will be *sugar*. It's about finite BTU capacity of the heat pump. It's clearly warning in the manual that you are asking the system to PRIORITIZE the drive train.

I also said it COULD effect cabin cooling. As the manual states it depends on how hard you are driving, how long and ambient temps. You might never see it's impact on cooling the cabin in Plaid mode. If you drive it hard enough you SHOULD.

It's simple common sense. It's not speculation. I'd say your car is broken if you DIDN'T see some impact. It means the car is doing what you asked it to do.

Why some folks freak out if the car is doing what you asked it to do and gives heavy hints in the manual that it will is laughable.

Last edited:
Geezzz... I will be taking delivery of my Plaid next week and after reading your review, I don't feel like taking it anymore. Already I hate the yoke with a passion!!! When I ordered last yr, they told me there will be a choice to pick a yoke or a normal wheel, I found out got scammed last Nov.
I would would buy you factory yoke for cash - model y p is scheduled for may - thanks

Geezzz... I will be taking delivery of my Plaid next week and after reading your review, I don't feel like taking it anymore. Already I hate the yoke with a passion!!! When I ordered last yr, they told me there will be a choice to pick a yoke or a normal wheel, I found out got scammed last Nov.

One member, in a hot climate, running Plaid mode was complaining his A/C wasn't cooling the cabin enough. Maybe his A/C is broken. I had a hunch he was driving in Plaid mode. BINGO I was right. Grant that could be one lucky guess and nothing to do with it.

This has historically been mentioned on older cars as well (without plaid mode) that cooling gets prioritized to the battery or motors. On the X, the A/C had two size A/C systems, 5 seater vs 6/7. Many complained 5 Seater in hot climate wasn't enough. Seen complaints during supercharging as well on old cars and hot climates.

Now we have a new place to route "Extra" cooling BTU capacity too, the battery and 3 motors, just so you can gun it and go x% faster at moments notice.

Tesla is not going to size the heat pump 2x for maximum Cabin needs and maximum Plaid cooling/heating needs in Max Climate needs. That would be stupid because it would be expensive and inefficient, on average. They would shoot for like 1.2x - 1.5x capacity. It's not about wh/mi, we know that will be *sugar*. It's about finite BTU capacity of the heat pump. It's clearly warning in the manual that you are asking the system to PRIORITIZE the drive train.

I also said it COULD effect cabin cooling. As the manual states it depends on how hard you are driving, how long and ambient temps. You might never see it's impact on cooling the cabin in Plaid mode. If you drive it hard enough you SHOULD.

It's simple common sense. It's not speculation. I'd say your car is broken if you DIDN'T see some impact. It means the car is doing what you asked it to do.

Why some folks freak out if the car is doing what you asked it to do and gives heavy hints in the manual that it will is laughable.
I believe that you are confusing Plaid driving mode with Plaid car model.

All Plaid models have 3 motors and a battery, regardless of whether you are in Chill, Sport, or Plaid driving mode.

If you let a Plaid model sit out in the desert for the day and then try to drive it, it will divert cooling from the cabin to the battery regardless of whether you are in Chill, Sport, or Plaid driving mode.

Also, I believe that you are missing the point of the question. There is NO question that if you romp on the car all the time you are going to use more energy and create more heat which will need to be cooled somehow.

The question was, if you drive sedately, will the car use different amounts of energy and generate different amounts of heat depending on driving mode (Chill, Sport, or Plaid)? In theory, if you do a 6-second 0-60, you should use the same amount of energy and generate the same amount of heat, regardless of your driving mode. @Jackka noted in the manual that Plaid driving mode will cause the batteries to be heated/cooled to a different set point than the other modes. In the Roadster, if you chose Performance mode, it would run the batteries hotter - there was lower resistance at higher temps but higher temps will speed degredation slightly. Back to the Plaid, I thought it would only heat the batteries if you went into Drag Strip mode but reading the manual it does state different battery temperature setpoints when in Plaid driving mode.

I await @BamaATL's trip results!

Plaid does feel like jet takeoff. Tried it a few times with 5 passigners in the car. No one could believe the acceleration and feel. I can’t wait to get my FSD enabled so I can really push the car. Still struggling to figure out why I have not got the download with 99 Safety Score. Elon can provide some transparency around how Tesla determine FSD Download. Any suggestion on where to take MX (may be a track) in Washington DC area to try Launch Mode? It feels too dangerous to try anywhere outside of a track.

On Yoke, I definitely love it now. A lot more comfortable holding it than regular wheels. I just rest my hand on bottom of the Yoke. It feels a lot more natural than resting your hands on left or right side of the standard wheel’s bottom half. My arms no longer get tired.

I believe that you are confusing Plaid driving mode with Plaid car model.

All Plaid models have 3 motors and a battery, regardless of whether you are in Chill, Sport, or Plaid driving mode.

If you let a Plaid model sit out in the desert for the day and then try to drive it, it will divert cooling from the cabin to the battery regardless of whether you are in Chill, Sport, or Plaid driving mode.

Also, I believe that you are missing the point of the question. There is NO question that if you romp on the car all the time you are going to use more energy and create more heat which will need to be cooled somehow.

The question was, if you drive sedately, will the car use different amounts of energy and generate different amounts of heat depending on driving mode (Chill, Sport, or Plaid)? In theory, if you do a 6-second 0-60, you should use the same amount of energy and generate the same amount of heat, regardless of your driving mode. @Jackka noted in the manual that Plaid driving mode will cause the batteries to be heated/cooled to a different set point than the other modes. In the Roadster, if you chose Performance mode, it would run the batteries hotter - there was lower resistance at higher temps but higher temps will speed degredation slightly. Back to the Plaid, I thought it would only heat the batteries if you went into Drag Strip mode but reading the manual it does state different battery temperature setpoints when in Plaid driving mode.

I await @BamaATL's trip results!

On my 2 legs to Nashville on Friday, I ran 1 in Plaid mode and 1 in Sport.

Plaid - 320 wh/m.
Sport - 312 wh/m.

I’ll test more on the way home today to see if I get similar results and post some graphs/stats.

One thing to note is that leg 1 (Plaid) was pre-conditioning the battery for the upcoming charging stop. I’m not sure if that usage is included in stats above.

On the way back I am going to reverse order the modes (Sport and then Plaid)

• Informative
Reactions: strider and tbart75