Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My comments on 2022 Tesla Model X PLAID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of an April build of a 2022 Model X PLAID 5 days ago, and I have a few observations I thought this community might like to see. I had a 2020 Model X LR before this.

Things I like:
  • The UI is noticeably faster and feels like a totally different piece of software than v11 was for the 2020 Intel Atom.
    • The animations in the "heads up" display for vehicles, signs etc. are butter smooth.
  • Seat coolers! I've always wanted a car that had seat coolers.
  • The center console area is way better. It's way more practical than my 2020 X was.
  • The cabin is noticeably quieter than the 2020 was. I am guessing this largely due to the thicker glass for the windows.
  • You can use your phone as a key or a key card or a key fob. So many options!
  • It's FAST. Really fast. It puts a smile on your face every time you floor it.

Things I don't like:
  • Noise canceling is a total joke. I'm happy that the cabin is quieter overall, but there is almost no discernable difference between having noise canceling enabled / disabled. I can only hope that this will be improved in future software updates. Again, this "feature" is more than lacking. I'm doubling down on this only because the marketing of "Active Noise Reduction" made it sound like this would be a neat feature.
  • Headlights. Where are the MATRIX headlights?? The Sales rep at Tesla told me this VIN has "MATRIX CC" headlights. Pretty sure these are the same headlights from 2020.
  • The inside styling of the front doors feels "cheaper" to me. I get that they are going with a cleaner look, but the 2020 Model X was more to my liking. There is cloth on the door now. Why?
  • The auto present feature is terrible. I don't know what is going on. This worked really well in 2020 Model X, but it is a 50/50 chance with the 2020 PLAID. The door sometimes opens a little, then never swings open. More annoyingly, the door CANNOT be trusted to auto close. With 2020 Model X you could walk away and know that the door would 100% close on it's own. Not with this door. Also, there is way more resistance with these doors when you manually open. You can hear the gears moving when you manually open the door.
  • The capacitive buttons on the steering yoke are terrible. The horn being a capacitive button is terrible. The fact that I have to engage autopilot by pressing a button that doubles as a scroll wheel and triples as a left / right joystick is probably the worst offender of it all. It feels like I am using an Android phone from 2012. I constantly feel like I accidently scrolled the wheel up while trying to engage autopilot.
  • My vehicle came with a couple of issues:
    • There are audible clicking sounds when turning the wheel. It sounds like something is really tight. Almost as if the clicking is coming from the lower control arms or bearings or something similar.
    • There are audible rubbing sounds when turning the steering yoke in certain conditions. Sounds / feels like it's rubbing on another part of the dash or steering column.
    • There is an audible sound coming from the right speakers that is hard to describe. For short bursts of time it sounds like a loose ground hum and sometimes like a high/mid-range static sound. It appears to go away, not sure the pattern yet.
    • Different from the above description, I have noticed sudden quick pops or pauses when listening to music. It feels like it's somehow related to accelerating or braking, but not sure the pattern yet.
Things I'm not sure about yet:
  • The sound system. I consider myself an audiophile. My initial impression is that I don't like the sound signature of this system. The sound is clear, very loud and has zero distortion - and yet the sound is overly harsh and difficult to "warm" up. The bass and subwoofer settings are also configured interestingly. Even though you can independently control the subwoofer level in the UI, it is also unexpectedly tied to the bass slider. For example, if you slide the subwoofer levels all the way up, but bring down the non-subwoofer bass slider down, it will directly impact the sound level of the subwoofer. The subwoofer is not one that you really "feel" but instead one that you "hear" too much, which results in really unpleasant listening experience if you are trying to get the system to have bass that can "punch" the low notes. I'm not sure what kind of DAC / EQ chip they are using, but I hope Tesla eventually allows for more refined EQ control of the sound as I think that most of the negative points I described could be fixed with better control of the sound.
  • The rear display. Initial impression is that it's cool that there is a screen, but the main display is way larger to look at, even from the rear seats. On the other hand, it is nice for rear passengers to control media, select their own media and control things like climate control and seat warmers.
  • The yoke. I am pretty sure I don't like it, but I am trying to give it a shot. Yes, it looks cool. Makes it look futuristic and all. However, it does not add any practical value to driving. In fact, it makes turning objectively worse. Still, willing to give a shot over the coming weeks.
5FCF17E3-A987-4096-A6C1-5A103AAADEAE.jpeg

("TESLA MODEL X.jpg" by Tokumeigakarinoaoshima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 2 legs to Nashville on Friday, I ran 1 in Plaid mode and 1 in Sport.

Plaid - 320 wh/m.
Sport - 312 wh/m.

I’ll test more on the way home today to see if I get similar results and post some graphs/stats.

One thing to note is that leg 1 (Plaid) was pre-conditioning the battery for the upcoming charging stop. I’m not sure if that usage is included in stats above.

On the way back I am going to reverse order the modes (Sport and then Plaid)

Return trip….

Sport - 333 wh/m
Plaid - 332 wh/m

No preconditioning on either leg.

Avg speed during Plaid trip was lower due to ATL traffic.

I would be interested to see results from others.

Return trip….

Sport - 333 wh/m
Plaid - 332 wh/m

I don't have exact numbers but can confirm that Plaid mode uses slightly more electricity. Usually it feels like about 5% difference.

I also noticed that cruising at a higher speed puts a bigger dent in efficiency than I realized before owning a Tesla.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
My biggest issue with the S/X is they look like they are from 2015. Love the way they drive but looks so dated for a $100K+ vehicle. I went with a 3 this go around while I await a proper exterior refresh to bring these vehicles into the 2020’s.

I strongly disagree... When I look at my Model X it looks futuristic compared to most cars on the road.... Even though it's a design from 2015 essentially, it was way ahead of it's time and still sticks out, and turns heads wherever I go. But its all personal preference so its all good.

Last edited:
Yes. I only drive about 1,500 miles per year so with the dated design (my opinion I realize this is different for everyone) and the long wait times I went with the better car for me.

Damn! are you sure you're not better off renting a car when you need it (something like zipcar) or ubering? with that little driving is it worth making monthly payments and insurance payments on a vehicle?

Reactions: MarkThisDay
Is there any point you having a car
Damn! are you sure you're not better off renting a car when you need it (something like zipcar) or ubering? with that little driving is it worth making monthly payments and insurance payments on a vehicle?
You’re both probably right but life’s to short to not have a car when I want one and not have to deal with Uber/renting.

Reactions: jboy210
Return trip….

Sport - 333 wh/m
Plaid - 332 wh/m

I now have about 5500 miles on my Plaid X that I picked up on 4/20. I drive the same 90+ mile commute every day in L.A. I've tested with Plaid, Sport, Chill and I've tested my previous MSP over 20,000 miles in the various modes.

My findings are that there is either no difference, or not enough of a difference between the efficiency in the modes to reliably record the data. Even though being in SoCal and we do not have huge variations in weather, the weather does make a difference in the efficiency of the vehicles. So then I thought, well, I'll just accumulate more miles and see the results. The results are, again, the weather influences too much on a day to day basis, but increase the amount of time and the modes basically even out. However, the results are always flawed because although there are not huge variations in weather here, we can easily go a couple weeks where it's in the low 70's and then all of a sudden it's 90+.

I can attest to wheel/tire combo sizes directly impacting efficiency. On both the Plaid X and S. It's pretty easy to realize around a 10% real world difference from going to 19's from 21's on the S Plaid. The X going from 20's to 22's was not as dramatic, more like a 7-8% drop.