Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My daughter's first experience with a Model 3 door handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phaduman

Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2016
San Jose
Just thought it would be funny to take a video. She got the demonstration once, and then tried it. She is 9yr old and a leftie. Using right hand for the passenger side door was a bit challenging. I think she would prefer using the driver side rear door when we get our M3.

Reactions: PSNeo
Just thought it would be funny to take a video. She got the demonstration once, and then tried it. She is 9yr old and a leftie. Using right hand for the passenger side door was a bit challenging. I think she would prefer using the driver side rear door when we get our M3.

Tell her to try going underhand with her left hand. I saw a lefty doing that at the Tesla Store when I went there.

Good! Keep your filthy, food-grubby little hands out of Daddy's Car!!!

:cool:;)

Tell her to try going underhand with her left hand. I saw a lefty doing that at the Tesla Store when I went there.

IMO you're on the right track and it has nothing to do with the dominant hand. To me with my brief 2-minute experience with the door handles, underhand is a more natural way to open the doors (my knuckles/fingers tend to get in the way if I try overhand). (As an experiment try standing in front of a wall and poke the wall with just your thumb directly in front of your body (door-handle height) both overhand and underhand. For me, my wrist is in a significantly more strained position when I poke overhand).

The only problem is that Tesla mounted the door handles for overhand operation - you have to reach across your body to open the doors underhand. They would need to be reversed to work well for underhand operations.

I'm enthusiastic about the car in general, but the door handles are an ergonomics fail for me.

Personally, I believe most doors are more comfortably opened by using the right hand for the passenger side doors and the left hand for the driver side.

We got used to the Model 3 handles pretty quickly. But it still confuses "guest riders". :)

Reactions: phaduman