Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My EV, it's no Tesla but, if you want something done...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
Starting my first EV conversion that should outperform the Tesla in 4 areas:
1. Turning radius
2. Hill climbing
3. Water fording
4. Cost
:biggrin:

Attex1.jpg

More details here if anyone is interested:
Building the AMPhibian

Looking at all those chaindrives - wouldn't be posible to get rid of some of them or at least shorten them? Maybe it would reduce the noise they are making?

What is the overall weight of the thing?
Is it strong enough to houl trees?
What is the motor power?
Will you put together a little web report of the conversion?

Man, I wanna know everything!:biggrin:

Check the link in my signature for my blog. Also see John's 1972 Attex 295 for more details.

It is strong enough to drag logs, not sure how big yet but that will probably be limited by traction before power.
The motor is a 7.5 inch DC Yale forklift motor modified by Jim Husted of Hitorqueelectric.com, brushes advanced to run higher voltages, up to 120. I'm running 48.
I have it geared at 16.5 to 1.
Probably weighs around 700lbs.
It's 6 wheel drive so the only way to eliminate chains would be with 6 individual motors, hub motors would allow 6 wheel independent suspension with no CV shafts needed. Obviously that would be much more complex and expensive, but someday.....
Most of the noise you hear when running it is the whine of the motor anyway, which I think sounds cool :cool:

Last edited:
It should, I took it in water today but only one side at a time to test water tightness. No leaks. May try a real float test tomorrow :eek::biggrin:

Thinking about the drive chains, I can't eliminate any but the noisiest one is the one from the motor to the trans since that spins the fastest. If I replaced the chain and sprockets with a toothed drive belt and pulleys it would probably be even quieter and the slight stretch in the belt might make the ride a little smoother, plus since it spins so fast that chain throws the most lube around. Not a big deal but something I might play with in the future.