Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Favorite Use of the Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would use the Frunk a whole lot more if it wasn’t so weird to close. It makes me nervous every time, not to mention the finger prints it leaves on my Solid Black paint. I have this fear I’m going to put too much pressure in one place and dent it when pushing it closed. I’ve learned to avoid it altogether, which is too bad, as it would be very useful and convenient, especially hauling groceries or food you don’t want smell lingering in the car.
It definitely takes getting used.

I only use mine on roadtrips when I need space. Otherwise the previously mentioned nervousness while closing and fingerprint issues keep me from using it regularly. When I do, I use a little trick of pulling out my shirt and putting my hand on my shirt then pushing down on the car to avoid prints. My wife thinks I look ridiculous, but hey, no fingerprints.

Food is not allowed in my cabin, barring a few exceptions. The frunk is amazing from this regard. I never thought about it, but putting food in the frunk means no leftover or takeout smell in the cabin!

Whenever I get takeout, it goes in the frunk. The logic is that food smell would eventually permanently replace new car smell if I were to keep food in the car.

As opposed to what - only new fart smells inside the cabin?

Used the frunk on Model S a fair bit, but it's incredibly inconvenient to use on the 3 because of the need to use the mobile app (and the fob is garbage because it doesn't do summon or proximity lock/unlock, so I'm not going to waste money to buy one or pocket space to carry it

This.
Sadly, frunk is inaccessible without the crappy app, which makes it all but useless to me for everyday needs.
I can proximity unlock the doors and the trunk, so that's where things go.
With no convenient way to unlock the frunk, it's all but forgotten.

a

P.S.: I did use frunks in my other EVs, just not the TM3.

Last edited:
Not worried about closing it. It’s opening it that I’m more hesitant about. I think I’ve opened the frunk twice so far. I’m hesitant on putting any food (especially food) or important stuff there just in case there’s an issue with the latch mechanism as others have reported. In fact, there was a maintenance bulletin for my VIN’s latch that a mobile tech looked at.

I used the frunk daily, until I read posts about frunk crease on Model S like this: 2017 Model S with frunk crease

Does anyone know if frunk crease is a problem on Model 3?

I fit two large bags of groceries in the thing!
IMG_20190302_165124498.jpg