Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S with frunk crease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks, first post here.

I have an early 2017 build Model S90 that I purchased new. Upon delivery I was told showed briefly how to close the frunk.

The other day after washing the car, I noticed a crease above the logo maybe less than an inch from the front of the hood. I did some research and found this was very common in earlier builds. It's possible that I pushed down in the center before (I rarely ever use it and no one ever mentioned the possibility of damage to me upon delivery. It was more like "this is the best way to close it").

Any advice on what to do? It's not terribly noticeable but it's annoying considering the circumstance. I've read that Tesla never does anything about it and I've heard mixed things about paintless dent repair.

Thanks.

I think the last 4 times I have opened the frunk was to show non-Tesla knowledgeable people that the car has a frunk.

Something else to keep in mind is don't allow too much snow to pile on the hood; you can't treat it like a steel ice hood. Not sure where OC is but perhaps that is how it got a crease?

I think the last 4 times I have opened the frunk was to show non-Tesla knowledgeable people that the car has a frunk.

Something else to keep in mind is don't allow too much snow to pile on the hood; you can't treat it like a steel ice hood. Not sure where OC is but perhaps that is how it got a crease?

Orange County CA.

I really don't remember pushing the thing in the middle but it is definitely a challenge to latch. That's the mail reason I don't use it.

My late 2016 AP2 also has a crease. Despite me opening/closing it per the instructions every time. There is a good chance mine got it when it was in for service, but Tesla so far has offered to do nothing (actually, they offered to share the cost of a paintless dent repair guy they use... which I declined).

Regardless of who damaged it, IMO it is absolutely a design flaw... The frunk (at least mine...) requires way too much force to close and was clearly not engineered to be sturdy enough to actually handle the normal amount of force needed to close it regularly.

Not all hoods are created equal and adjust equal either. I use a 10 fingertip approach(like playing the piano) to closing in the Green areas per the Manual. It takes two tries or a wind up on the first one and closed.

My car was a showroom queen. Used and Abused inside, No use of the drive-train though. For this fact you would expect the crease. I'm really finicky about the finish. In reality it took me months to realize it was there in the right light only. The crease on my car is from side to side, the front 1" along the curved front of the hood.

Can you imagine how may times this frunk, was opened and closed properly and improperly if there truly is a difference in the result of closing either way?

For this fact, its held up real well. I suggest you use your Frunk, like I do and move along to some bigger worries.

There are huge benefits to the process of use by showroom. Under warranty, I have lived the replacement highway of stuff. There truly is an engineered amount if times a part is designed to be used. As time goes by, my car gets newer and newer under the initial warranty. I think Extended Warranty and service agreement should/will be necessary.