Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first 5,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
battery life seems to decline exponentially as cruising speed goes over 60 MPH.

I don't think the wording there is very fortunate - it might cause some People who are uninformed about the Model S to think that driving faster than 60mph damages the battery. I would have used "range" instead of battery life.

Thank you. I'd like to hear from the people who went through the 12,500 mile check-up. What was done, what was found.

We had the 12,000 mile checkup this past Friday. Quoting the relevant content from the service invoice:

Replaced the wiper blades, cabin filter and key fob batteries.
Inspected the brake and cooling system (including fluid levels and condition). Inspected the tires (did not rotate on this visit).
Check the operation of the mechanical and electrical systems on the vehicle. Check operation and lubricated all the closures on the vehical.
Set the adjustable aligment angles to spec (printout in the car).

BLADE ASY-WIPER RH (6005947) 1.00
BLADE ASY-WIPER LH (6005948) 1.00
BATTERY LITHIUM COIN 3V 20MM 2.00
(2006794)
FILTER - PARTICULATE (1007479-00-C) 1.00

Perform vehicle wash

Check and Adjust Tire Pressure - CA MANDATE Set all tire pressures to 42psi.

Concern: Steering Notchy Feel or Clicking Sound
Cause: Noted a creaking from the front end when turring.
Correction: Add Shim to Steering Mount Bolt and Retorque Subframe Bolts
Installed the shim on the right side of the steering rack and torqued the subrame boltes per SB 13-32-001.
Part Qty
Washer, Shim 28x16x0.5 (1024933-00-A) 1.00

Concern: B-Pillar Seat Belt Noise
Cause: Inspected the B-pillar D rings and no slick tape was present. Correction: Apply Tape to B-Pillar Bezel
Installed the slick tape to the B-pillar D rings per SB 13-20-003.

Concern: Steering Notchy Feel or Clicking Sound
Cause: Noted a creaking from the front end when turring.
Correction: Add Shim to Steering Mount Bolt and Retorque Subframe Bolts

I wonder if I need this done too. When turning at low speeds (parking lot) there's a creaking/tapping noise that sounds like it's coming from the left front wheel. Is that what you had?

Thanks, I'll go have that done then.

Well, Tesla saw my post and my SC called me to schedule the fix. Hi Tesla! :D

Service manager told me of a simple test anyone can do to check if they need the steering rack fix:

With the car stationary on a high friction surface (Like concrete or asphalt), slowly turn steering wheel lock to lock. If there is creaking/tapping when doing this, then SB 13-32-001 should be done.

They're also installing "tank mode" while they have the car.