Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My install price increased because Tesla changed from 8.16 to 8.5kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an unexpected email this morning that just said "View Your Design" when I was already scheduled for an install next Thursday.

After logging in to my account, I found out that they increased the price of my install by around $700 because they changed my solar size from 8.16 kW to 8.5 kW.

The reason is because they changed my panels from 340W to the newer 425W panels.

I already signed a contract and financing for the original amount. Can they just unilaterally increase the price without my approval? Has this happened to anyone else before?

Is the price for the new panels worth it?

According to Tesla, "they are better panels and Tesla branded. We assembled these panels and they are no longer third party panels. Since these panels have a higher power rating, your pricing changed slightly."

They charge around $2.01 per watt (before credit/rebates) so the price increase is inline with the rest of your system. 340w x $2.01 = 683

Yes you are paying more, but not more more. You are getting slightly more output at the same price per watt as the rest of your system.

The panels are still made by hanwha. Probably contract manufactured for Tesla with the Tesla logo. They are about the same "efficiency" as the old 340w panel just physically larger. It's just that Tesla is transitioning from 340 to 425w panel

If you are that concern about the price increase just ask them to take out 1 panel to get a 8.075kw system and you get a slight price decrease

Last edited:
Reactions: JimBob 909
I got an unexpected email this morning that just said "View Your Design" when I was already scheduled for an install next Thursday.

After logging in to my account, I found out that they increased the price of my install by around $700 because they changed my solar size from 8.16 kW to 8.5 kW.

The reason is because they changed my panels from 340W to the newer 425W panels.

I already signed a contract and financing for the original amount. Can they just unilaterally increase the price without my approval? Has this happened to anyone else before?

According to Tesla, "they are better panels and Tesla branded. We assembled these panels and they are no longer third party panels. Since these panels have a higher power rating, your pricing changed slightly."
Just do it!!

Reactions: JimBob 909

I didn't go through Tesla but I thought there was language in the contract that essentially states that they can "upgrade" your system but there would be no charge?

I would probably do it, like everyone else is saying, but I wouldnt necessarily be happy with a price increase. However, I think the value is there in getting the larger system. Electricity usage is going up, not down, so there is value in getting as much PV as you can, imo.

So, I would think the above, then begrudgingly sign on for the increase, because I am paying the same effective price per watt and getting a larger system.

Reactions: jboy210
Since Tesla charges so little for the installs they think they can just change the prices later at will when they finalize things and get on site.

Most people still end up paying less, but have more delays and personal effort in the coordination of the project.

The company I work for will usually upgrade customers panels for free if the older panels are no longer available. Also, we stock replacements for the Sunpower (enphase) micorinverters on the back of an AC-PV system so a down inverter doesn't stay that way for long.

Granted you pay more for this level of service, but also you can get our president on the phone and if you have a complaint that wasn't otherwise resolved, he will resolve it.

Since Tesla charges so little for the installs they think they can just change the prices later at will when they finalize things and get on site.

Most people still end up paying less, but have more delays and personal effort in the coordination of the project.

The company I work for will usually upgrade customers panels for free if the older panels are no longer available. Also, we stock replacements for the Sunpower (enphase) micorinverters on the back of an AC-PV system so a down inverter doesn't stay that way for long.

Granted you pay more for this level of service, but also you can get our president on the phone and if you have a complaint that wasn't otherwise resolved, he will resolve it.

Thats what it should look like when one spends more money, imo. If I lived up where you guys are, and had the money, I would hire you in a heartbeat to get that type of service (it has value to me).

The issue with a lot of home construction stuff however, you can pay a premium, and still not get that level of service. Its why it takes me so long to try to get stuff done to my home, in general. Just paying more doesnt guarantee anything.

Now, the above is just a general comment. Like I also said, I would hire you guys in a second, just based on what I have seen from your interactions here (and likely say something like "and I want vines designing my project.... oh you dont know who vines is? Ok, let me go online and get a name and get back to you" ) 🤣

I really wish "spending a little more money" always worked to provide the service its apparent your company provides.

• Love
Reactions: Vines
IIRC some people got a free upgrade when they switched from 315w to 340w and I think the contract says they could give you up to 10% more if they substitue equipment, have you tried calling to complain about price increase to see if they might give you the new panels at the old price?

Reactions: Notadog
Thank you all for the advice. I had a couple conversations with a couple customer reps. As reported earlier, the first rep told me that I should expect the price increase because they increased the size of my solar install. However, I was later able to get a hold of another customer rep (1-888-518-3752), and he said that since my solar install size was increased because they did not have inventory of the older panels, the upgrade was supposed to be free. I called him last Friday, and by today (Tuesday), he was able to send me new design that matched my original price.