Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR upgrade to MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
If I order the MYP now what happens if the tax credit hits prior to my pickup? Will that reduce the amount that someone like Vroom or a local dealer gives me? I ask mainly because I always need a vehicle so I cannot sell it now.

I have been getting offers like 61,500/62,000 lately.

What tax credit? Lol…
sell your car when your ready. No one can predict the future. Do what’s bests for you.
Just generally speaking…
In theory, from the videos I’ve seen, the credit would be retroactive to January 1st of this year, but everyone’s just speculating at this point.
I’d like to do as much of an even trade as possible so my biggest fear is when the tax credit starts then the resale value of my vehicle goes down more than what I’d like.

No one could know for sure, in my eyes the value of your car will drop. It won’t make sense for anyone to go pay over 61k for a model Y long range when they could get a brand new one zero miles from the factory for 51k. If I were you, sell youre car and take a rental vehicle from somewhere if permitted.
Tax credit is retroactive to Jan 1st as of now and model y deliveries are around a month or two away.

If I order the MYP now what happens if the tax credit hits prior to my pickup? Will that reduce the amount that someone like Vroom or a local dealer gives me? I ask mainly because I always need a vehicle so I cannot sell it now.

I sold my 2021 LR (w/w 20"with 11k miles for 64500) I did put order for my performance 6 months ago. So I got the older pricing.
Essentially the newly gained equity put me right at the price of myp.

There is no tax credit.

There will not be. Also, the proposed cap for SUV’s is $59K which puts the MYP out of contention. So don’t get your hopes up.
Proposed tax recredit is for SUVs costing under $80k and for sedans under $55K. So if the bill does pass the tax credit would apply to MYLR and MYP, but not the M3P as it would exceed the $55K limit.

Note one version of the bill does not make the tax credit retroactive to 1/1/22. Rather it would only apply from the date the bill becomes law if that version is what get thru congress.

Let me know if I’m missing something.
Performance - $65,440 after all charges
My trade in -61,500/62,000

$3,440 difference if I can get $62k. But on top of that since the vehicle will be registered in WI I’ll be paying taxes on $40k as I’ll be using my $25k equity which adds roughly $1,500.

That’s close to $5k it will cost me to upgrade?

Main concern is the resale value of the MY at that point.
I understand. What I was implying is that you get credit on new and get less for old because it's depreciated or you don't get credit for new and sell old for more. Another option, if you strongly believe that the credit will happen, is to find a reasonable rental. When rental cars are not in demand you can find something for about $600/month.