Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 is a death trap!

Have you had a phantom brake where it could have caused an accident?

• Yes

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love TMC.
The OP states he was using TACC not AP and as he was doing 50mph, so we can assume not on city streets - but it only takes three posts before AP is mentioned and it degenerates into a rehash of the over discussed where and when to use AP.
Obviously the chill pill has not been taken this morning.

Thankfully no one has brought up the manual which both states you shouldn't use TACC on city streets, but then talks about using Traffic Light Recognition and Response which is used on city streets.

In any case I've had the same issue as the OP with Semi's in the right lane as I was passing them.

Phantom braking is so bad with AP2+ that it changes the entire behavior for the driver.

With TACC on AP1 they would have their foot ready to hit the break in case it didn't stop for something.

With TACC on AP2+ you have to have your foot near the accelerator to force it to go every time it tries to stop for things not there.

Elon isn't ignoring Phantom braking. He's probably absolutely aware of the fact that he's punishing drivers who pay attention to try to prevent media attention grabbing accidents due to drivers not paying attention. So it's better for Tesla to error on the side of caution which is to brake.

I've had a number of close calls due to autopilot slamming on the brakes. In fact, I'd say all of the "scary" moments I've had driving my Tesla have been due to autopilot freak-outs or general auto-steer mistakes of one sort or another. We're remarkably tolerant. I'm genuinely surprised there haven't been more accidents due to autopilot; but I suppose they have the catch-all get out of jail free card:

"Hey, you know this Full Self Driving feature you just paid 8k for? Well, it means you fully drive it yourself at all times -- c'mon what else could that mean!!!?"

Anyway, I noticed OP is in the UK - whichever way you slice it, the FSD package isn't much use to us here and won't be for the foreseeable future. The fact they consider auto-park a "FSD" feature is laughable really. The only consolation there is that I've had auto-park for the past 3 years, and I've used it... once? And that was only to see if it would work. I can park it myself better - and faster - every time... and I'm terrible at parking.

Sheesh, all my posts come off as quite negative these days. I do love the car, it's an incredible drive and the core technology is amazing. Tesla's software and general sales shenanigans are starting to irk me, however.

We do it for the opportunity to wax nostalgic in the future. We will be 93, in our rockers, and to take a break from discussing our prostates we will say "Remember when Auto Park left you on the front lawn?" and "Remember when you used to have to sit in the front seat in case you needed to take over the steering? Kids these days don't even KNOW what a steering wheel is!"

• Funny
Reactions: Twiglett and tander
We do it for the opportunity to wax nostalgic in the future. We will be 93, in our rockers, and to take a break from discussing our prostates we will say "Remember when Auto Park left you on the front lawn?" and "Remember when you used to have to sit in the front seat in case you needed to take over the steering? Kids these days don't even KNOW what a steering wheel is!"
Hopefully you'll be saying "remember how our Grandpa's had to worry about their prostates" too:)

Reactions: Puddles