Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S 85D and Tesla life at 100K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in July 2018, I wrote this post:

It concluded with, "Looking forward to the next 50,000 miles." My car (2015 S85D) passed that milestone (100,000 miles) a little over a week ago! Updated stats (and comparison to prior post):

Miles on odometer: 100,026 (was 50,069 in prior post)
Lifetime average wH/mi: I gave up trying to track this, but the prior guesstimate of 312-317 wH/mi is probably still accurate
Door handle replacements: 5 (was 3)
Half-shaft replacements: 1 (no change)
Unique Superchargers visited: 186 (was 36)
HV Battery degradation: 270 Rated Miles -> 240 RM (was 264 RM)
12V Battery replacements: 2 (was 0)
Software updates: 83 (from 6.2(2.4.160) to 2021.24.28) (was 43)

Notable service issues so far (all covered under original warranty or extended warranty):
* MCU replacement (probably caused by eMMC failure)
* Battery coolant heater replacement [in an earlier version of this post I mistakenly called this a coolant pump]
* Liftgate cinching actuator replacement (2)
* Door handle replacements (5)
An important point is that I've never gotten stranded by any of these problems.

I indulged myself with a few general thoughts on my experience so far in my 50K post. I still think all of those are true, so I won't repeat them. Instead, here are a few things I've learned over the years.

* You need to take it on yourself to be informed about your car. For various reasons, Tesla doesn't do as much in this area as they used to. Nowadays, it's up to you find a trusted source of information (a friend, owners club, TMC). Conversely, try to help others when you can.

* You might know more about your car than the Tesla employee you're speaking to. They can still help you and are still worthy of respect.

* There are no absolute "must haves" when it comes to accessories.

* Make sure you have a plan for charging your car before taking delivery. If possible, try to have home charging or workplace charging. You might need to get creative if you live in an apartment or condo complex, or only have street parking.

* Road-tripping a Tesla can be fun! It's a little different from doing a road-trip with an ICE, so be prepared and develop the right intuition. Don't "fill up" at your charging stops unless you really need to. Work rest breaks or meal stops into charging stops. Have backup plans for charging because charging stations aren't as ubiquitous as gas stations.

* Try to do your own trip-planning if you can. The in-car software, as well as various third-party tools, get the job done, but they probably don't know about the Supercharger with your favorite restaurant, or the one with the cleanest restrooms.

* Remember that all of the Autopilot-type systems from Tesla (including AP, EAP, FSD, and FSD Beta) are driver assist systems. You still need to pay attention but you're supervising the car driving, rather than doing the driving yourself.

* OTA upgrades let Tesla install new functionality or bug fixes. They also allow Tesla to make a change you don't like or add bugs.

* People come to the Tesla brand for many different reasons ("green"-ness, cost savings, performance, tech, etc.). Other owners you meet (on-line or in real-life) might've had different paths to Tesla-hood, and have different needs and wants from you.

* Owning a Tesla can still make you do unexpected things, like competing with other owners to see how many Superchargers you can visit.

Oh yeah, still love the car, things are great.

Bruce.

IMG_8235.JPG

Last edited:
Great summary! Last year I sold my 2015 70D with 110K on it. Looking at your summary, it held up well - only 1 door handle replaced, HV battery (failed while in service for eMMC recall), left scroll wheel, and front control arms. Everything was covered under pre-owned warranty (purchased with coverage for 2yr/50K, before they gutted CPO coverage).

I'm now in a 2017 100D with EAP/HW3, and just picked it up from the SC yesterday after the MCU2 upgrade. I can't stress enough had happy I am that I finally bit the bullet and ponied up for the Infotainment Upgrade. Finally, voice prompts work as intended, the UI is relatively lag-free, and I haven't had any random reboots. Coincidentally, it pushed me to v11 and added navigation waypoints, BT cover art, Tidal, and all the latest software additions. It feels like a new car! The extra games available on MCU2 and Tesla theater weren't motivating factors, but they're nice to have.

Great feedback, Bruce. But, 5 door handle replacements! None so far for my car ... it might be due to my low mileage of 47k miles?

Thanks!

Glad to know that others have had fewer door handle issues. I know of someone who had 6 replacements so I'm not quite the worst case. I'm told the newer v3 door handle mechanisms (which I have on the two front doors now) are much improved.

I'm not sure what mileage has to do with door handle wear, maybe I just cycle the doors a lot?

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Great summary.
Have the same car 2015 S85D. Just also reached 100 000km, I realize many fewer miles. I just replaced my second 12v battery that only lasted 2.5yrs.
For me and my bad luck, my issues always happen on driving holidays. I had my MCU1 fail in Calgary on the way back to Vancouver. The rear cinch motor died on a weekend trip and had to deal with the constant trunk open message. Probably the worst was the driver door handle broke the day I left to drive across Canada for 2.5 weeks. I did not want to wait around for service to fix while travelling. There is no real service once you leave Calgary eastward until you reach Toronto.
I keep my fingers crossed, I do not have the extended warranty.
Still very much love the car and the ride, better than my wife's model Y. I still can't get used to a single screen mounted sideways!

I’m at 96K on my P85D so your post is timely. Three door handles, two liftgate struts, and a partridge in a… oops, I mean one rear DU for milling noise. 12V battery lasted 6yrs and was just replaced last year. Battery coolant heater four years ago. Only out-of-pocket repair so far has been the air compressor/SAS issues over the last couple months. DIY so only a few hundred so far. Ordered new valve block today actually.
Question for us both now is… HV battery warranty expiration is forthcoming this year so ponder time will ramp up. @wk057 and his new policies will be quite tempting to not trade the beast in. Would be a no brainer if I wasn’t in Oregon, literally the furthest away from him.
Great post as always @bmah .

Wow Bruce, your dash console screen is leaking heavily! Do you plan to get that fixed or not? haha Mine is starting on the dash screen, but also heavily leaking on the center console and I will be doing the MCU2 upgrade. Be-grudgingly paying the price for the upgrade even though I think Tesla should be fixing this for free for all those Model S/X they outfitted with the improper temperature grade screens. There shouldn't be too many of those left and Tesla, swimming in their cash, should at least do this for those early adopters. Should be a drop in the bucket for them.

Reactions: Droschke
Wow Bruce, your dash console screen is leaking heavily! Do you plan to get that fixed or not? haha Mine is starting on the dash screen, but also heavily leaking on the center console and I will be doing the MCU2 upgrade. Be-grudgingly paying the price for the upgrade even though I think Tesla should be fixing this for free for all those Model S/X they outfitted with the improper temperature grade screens. There shouldn't be too many of those left and Tesla, swimming in their cash, should at least do this for those early adopters. Should be a drop in the bucket for them.

Do you know for sure the upgraded MCU2 won't have the same issue? I thought they also might eventually leak.

What is your plan for the car in the next 5 years? I also have a 2015 85D owned since new, with almost 145k miles now. That 8 year warranty will be up next year as well.

On the one hand, it would be nice to get something new. On the other hand, everything still works well and my cost of maintenance has been minimal. And it is truly disappointing how many of the new vehicles out there still suffer from crippling software or electrical/12V issues (Polestar 2, Taycan...).

Fun to see how little maintenance was really done for 100k miles.

At 100k miles, have you had to replace brake pads? I'm just up to 27k on my M3P and short of tires, 12v battery replaced at 2 years, and the ungodly ac smell issue M3 have it's been pretty easy driving.

Yeah that IC screen looks pretty gross, huh? From my viewpoint, I've gotten used to seeing it so it doesn't bother me, and the screen is otherwise functional. But yeah that'd be one of the (many?) benefits of the MCU2 upgrade, which I haven't done yet.

Bruce.

Fun to see how little maintenance was really done for 100k miles.

At 100k miles, have you had to replace brake pads? I'm just up to 27k on my M3P and short of tires, 12v battery replaced at 2 years, and the ungodly ac smell issue M3 have it's been pretty easy driving.

No brake pad replacements needed so far.

BTW my last car before the Model S was a 2005 Prius. When I dropped it off for trade-in at the Tesla factory parking lot after 10 years and 206K miles, it still had its original brake pads!

Bruce.

What is your plan for the car in the next 5 years? I also have a 2015 85D owned since new, with almost 145k miles now. That 8 year warranty will be up next year as well.

On the one hand, it would be nice to get something new. On the other hand, everything still works well and my cost of maintenance has been minimal. And it is truly disappointing how many of the new vehicles out there still suffer from crippling software or electrical/12V issues (Polestar 2, Taycan...).

I currently have a (not Plaid) Model X on order. Mostly for more range and more interior room on road trips. My current Model S is still a great daily driver, but I was told I can't keep two cars.

My plan is to sell the S after taking delivery of the X and getting the kinks worked out of it. I'm going to miss the free connectivity, free Supercharging, and drama-free AP1.

My teenage son's plan is to take over the Model S. Tune in next year to see how that works out. :cool:

Bruce.

My teenage son's plan is to take over the Model S. Tune in next year to see how that works out. :cool:

Bruce.
First world probs for sure. My son learned to drive on my car vs the behemoth SUV. He didn’t get my car, though. We decided a Leaf was a great choice. Enough range for teenager use and with major discounts on top of the federal and state rebates, it was too hard to pass up vs a Civic or something.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah