Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model S seems out of commission

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car developed a sudden very loud screech with occasional bangs whenever the wheels are moving. This occurs in either forward or reverse and comes from both sides of the rear of the car. Here is a video with the sound:

I've made a service appt. but the soonest I could get is three weeks away. I don't feel like I can drive it and will have to have it towed. Will Tesla give me a sooner appointment since my car can not be driven or am I just stuck without a car for three weeks ? Also, any ideas what this is ?

Possibly a rock stuck between the brake pad against the rotor? Seeing the mud on the wheels makes me think you might have been off-roading a little and got a stone or something in the brakes.
Thanks, I looked into that and cant really say that its not a rock except I have not been on a dirt road for 3 weeks. I noticed the problem today when I returned from a 70 mile highway trip (no dirt roads) and the brakes worked fine. Using the brakes does not change the sound, in case that matters. Car is dirty because I haven't been to the wash since March and have only driven 5 times :)

I’ll vote for a rock between the rotor and the dust shield. That twang sound is really a dust shield kinda thing.

If you are a DIYer, take the wheel and brake rotor off. Bet something will fall out.

Local Indy mechanic could also check this. Tesla wheels and brakes are just like ice cars.

Reactions: Dan Baldwin
My car developed a sudden very loud screech with occasional bangs whenever the wheels are moving. This occurs in either forward or reverse and comes from both sides of the rear of the car. Here is a video with the sound:

I've made a service appt. but the soonest I could get is three weeks away. I don't feel like I can drive it and will have to have it towed. Will Tesla give me a sooner appointment since my car can not be driven or am I just stuck without a car for three weeks ? Also, any ideas what this is ?
Take the wheel off and get the rock out between the rotor and brake shield.

Reactions: Dan Baldwin