Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y smells, does it happen to yours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just occurred to me… since I have a HEPA filter in the frunk, is there any reason why I shouldn’t just remove the interior cabin filters altogether? What are they protecting against? Are they needed?
when I pulled out the cabin filters after a year, the "filtering side" was dirty with small debris, so I guess the evaporator coil and inside the air box will get dirty or contaminated.
I think if the recirculate is on, the system will get the air from the cabin air intakes, which are located near the front foot well area, so those air intake will get some dirt and small debris from your floor since you cannot keep the floor area 100% clean all the time.

when I pulled out the cabin filters after a year, the "filtering side" was dirty with small debris, so I guess the evaporator coil and inside the air box will get dirty or contaminated.
I think if the recirculate is on, the system will get the air from the cabin air intakes, which are located near the front foot well area, so those air intake will get some dirt and small debris from your floor since you cannot keep the floor area 100% clean all the time.
That’s a good point about recirculation. Although I pulled out the filters shortly after my last post, and they looked perfectly clean after one year. So they probably aren’t filtering much, at least under the conditions that I drive.

While the filters themselves had no discernible smell and still looked brand new, after removing them the smell in the car completely disappeared. So, a lesson learned is that smelling the filters is NOT a reliable test.

I plan to drive without cabin filters (while still protected by the external HEPA filter) until I receive the replacement cabin filters I ordered from Tesla.

Reactions: BeeGood
If the car smells most of the time it's because of the a/c, which means it's time for us to change the air filters. The installation process is quick and easy, saving you time and money.

This cabin HEPA air filter captures 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.25 microns and effectively filters out smoke, pollen, dust mites, and smells. It is constructed with a honeycomb activated carbon filter, a HEPA filter, and anti-bacterial composite layers. It is intended to strengthen the filter screen and expand filtering space, resulting in cleaner air.
And the HEPA 13 grade Model Y hepa air intake filters may filter out fine particulate matter (pm2.5), pollen, dust mites, and unpleasant odors from the air and intake fresh air into your cabin. Tesla suggests replacing these filters once a year.

If the car smells most of the time it's because of the a/c, which means it's time for us to change the air filters. The installation process is quick and easy, saving you time and money.

This cabin HEPA air filter captures 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.25 microns and effectively filters out smoke, pollen, dust mites, and smells. It is constructed with a honeycomb activated carbon filter, a HEPA filter, and anti-bacterial composite layers. It is intended to strengthen the filter screen and expand filtering space, resulting in cleaner air.
And the HEPA 13 grade Model Y hepa air intake filters may filter out fine particulate matter (pm2.5), pollen, dust mites, and unpleasant odors from the air and intake fresh air into your cabin. Tesla suggests replacing these filters once a year.
I’ve become wary of companies overhyping their “HEPA” filters. A two pack for $32 is a pretty good deal.
Are your filters true HEPA, or HEPA type?

HEPA filters would filter out 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns. Yours supposedly go down to 0.25 microns. That would be phenomenal if true.
Would you be able to provide the testing data backing up the claims?

Reactions: nate704
Solved! … I think.

As I stated in my previous posts, I removed the interior cabin filters. I then cleaned the evaporator coils, and together this seemed to remove the smell for the last week or two. But then it rained a lot today and the vinegar/wet feet smell was strong without recirculate mode (so external air being drawn in). At this point, I suspected the HEPA filter in my frunk (I have a 2022 Y with HEPA from the factory). This filter is supposed to last several years, but oh well.

For those that have a frunk HEPA, there are actually two sets of filters – an outer soft/floppy filter pair (left/right) with activated charcoal that looks like a longer version of the interior cabin filters. And an inner traditional paper filter pair. See photos. The outer soft filters were a little smelly. I removed those and left the paper filters in, and the smell is now gone, hopefully permanently.

So, if anyone has the same set up and is having trouble with HvAC stink, they might try this.

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpeg
    IMG_0591.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 83
What I have done for years on many of my vehicles after using the AC while driving is to run the fan on high with the AC off for about 5 minutes before getting to my destination or getting out of my vehicle. This helps remove any condensation moisture from the AC coils, which prevents mildew growth that causes the smell.

Reactions: BWJ. and nate704
Why would this be an user error? If it was designed properly, nothing would need to be done besides changing the cabin filters. And the car would not stink. Are you really expecting an ordinary joe who doesn’t go on forums to do all those?

This is obviously a design flaw. Tesla probably didn’t even know this would become a problem until cars were in customers’ hand, and when customers were reporting the problem.

At first, they replaced the filters and clean the coil as goodwill but now they cannot goodwill them all because most Ys and 3s have this problem. Also they started to make up all these BS excuses oh it’s the filter. Oh we only cover this for some tech said 6 months. Some tech said 1 year. Most tech said it’s not covered at all because Tesla doesn’t cover regular maintenance. A 2-month-old car stinks like this is not a maintenance problem.

Instead of fixing the root cause by changing the designs, they just keep bandaging it by rolling out software updates, replacing the type of screw, and moving the screw to a position where it could be accessed more easily. That’s basically telling us owners that we gotta do it ourselves.

I’ve owned no less than 10 cars before. Some of them were old used beater cars, and none of them have ever had this problem. I still love our Y and 3 but I just couldn’t overlook the fact that those who designed the cars didn’t think it through (like the frozen door handles), and that now Tesla is too big to give a damn.
Totally agree sir. We should not need to run the vents with AC off and on high at our destination or before arriving. This is obviously a design flaw that the SC skirts around whenever I ask about it. In the 2 years I've had mine since 2021, Tesla replaced the filters 3 times and cleaned out the coils once (about a year ago). On this past Labor day, they replaced both filters again, and already the stink is back. It's a little embarrassing when I take people in the car and it stinks like that. It's a buzz kill. I don't know what to do at this point. We're talking about a $55K car people.

Reactions: mcsenerd
This YouTube video (released yesterday - and not my video) has a pretty good analysis of why that smell occurs and some suggestions around fixing it. May be worth a look:

I saw this. If you see, he did a nice job also showing that the Model Y has a better architecture under the hood where the air intake is "hidden" from possible rain water thanks to the large HEPA filter assembly for bio mode. So the moisture is coming from somewhere else. I'm guessing the moisture from the evaporator touches the air filters and that creates the smell? It's a bad thing, and my family and friends notice it too. It's embarrassing.

I saw this. If you see, he did a nice job also showing that the Model Y has a better architecture under the hood where the air intake is "hidden" from possible rain water thanks to the large HEPA filter assembly for bio mode. So the moisture is coming from somewhere else. I'm guessing the moisture from the evaporator touches the air filters and that creates the smell? It's a bad thing, and my family and friends notice it too. It's embarrassing.
Agreed I don’t think this video helps 2022 and later Y owners.

Reactions: sentinoboca
Is this is still an ongoing issue then what the heck is wrong with Tesla that they can't come up with an actual solution?! Elon wants to go to Mars and can't fix this? Maybe instead of spending all that money to buy Twitter he could have been putting it into Tesla.