Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MX is resetting its charge limit to 100% on its own.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 3 random occasions in the last few weeks my MX has reset the charge limit from where I had left it (70 or 80) to 100%. I don’t know if it’s related but it happened once after a long trip where it had been at 100 just prior to departure, once after an update and once after a reboot. The last time I made absolutely sure I had set it to 70% and noticed a few hours later it was reset to 100 and had already charged to 85. Has anyone had a similar issue? It’s been on 20.2.1 but as I write this it’s updating to 20.4. Hopefully that will fix it but the last update didn’t. Any ideas?

Charge level is geo based ..maybe reset your location
The charge amperage is geo-based. Unless something has changed, the charge SOC target is not. It makes no sense for it to be so.

@Dedmo, the only thing I can think of is the App resetting it. You don't happen to use Dashboard for Tesla, do you? It can have a charging program in it accidentally set to go off daily which could reset the target.

Anybody else have access to the Tesla app on your car?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have the Remote S app but not Dashboard. No others have access. After last nights update to 20.4.3 it reset itself from 75, where I had left it, back to 85%, which is where I had stopped it when I caught it trying to go to 100 earlier in the day. Seems to occasionally have a mind of its own.

Interesting. When I hit one of those, it went to 80% for that charge - and went back to where I had it set (95%) after I left that station.

Not for me. I had this happen yesterday when charging at the Dublin, CA supercharger which is permanently set to 80% even when there is no demand (14 chargers and only 2 in use when I was there). I usually have the car set to 85%, but after charging it was set to 80%.

It's happened to me twice in the past 3 days. The first time, we'd been on a family day trip and set the charge limit to 100%, when we got home, I plugged it in and changed the rate back to 80% ... then when I woke up, this was on my phone.
IMG_3006.jpeg

Not for me. I had this happen yesterday when charging at the Dublin, CA supercharger which is permanently set to 80% even when there is no demand (14 chargers and only 2 in use when I was there). I usually have the car set to 85%, but after charging it was set to 80%.

Did you look immediately after charging?

I didn't. I was probably half an hour down the road before it occurred to me and I discovered it was back where it belonged. Maybe it only resets after you leave a geofenced area?

My X is still at it, resetting to 100%, and it seems unrelated to any event or location. It’s been in the garage all weekend. It reset again Friday night. I drove it to get back below 90 and then set to 80 and left it unplugged. This am it’s back to 100%!
Mobile service is coming out in the am (amazing since I’m pretty remote). Hopefully they can figure it out.

My X is still at it, resetting to 100%, and it seems unrelated to any event or location. It’s been in the garage all weekend. It reset again Friday night. I drove it to get back below 90 and then set to 80 and left it unplugged. This am it’s back to 100%!
Mobile service is coming out in the am (amazing since I’m pretty remote). Hopefully they can figure it out.
And, did they find something?

I have had the following issue with my MX (late 2018, SW 2019.28.3 and app version 3.9.0): yesterday evening (15th Aug 2019) I have set the SoC limit from 90 to 100 %. When I checked at 3:00 AM 16th Aug I saw that the charging process was completed and in the app I saw the SoC limit at 50 %!! With the app, I reset it to 100 % and went sleeping again. At 6:00 AM 19th Aug, I saw two messages, one that charging was started and the other with a time stamp short after that it was stopped! SoC was at 50 again! So, with the app I again set the SoC to 100 % and kept looking. The charging process begun. While looking, I saw the SoC being put at 50 % (in front of my own eyes!). So the charging process ended as the car was full. What to do? I cannot trust this process anymore!? I went to the car and from the screen (it has yellow borders that seems to be an out of warranty issue for Tesla) I have called up the charging window and have set the limit from there from 50 % to 100 %. And only now it seems to be stable!
I do not understand why the SoC was set to 50% but with the app I have seen it happen!

Try changing your Tesla password and not updating any third party apps. That should isolate the cause.

There is one app, the JedLix app, and there is the same company, the JedLix company, that knows to start and stop the charging process on my MX. I gave them this opportunity on my MX so that they can level the load on the public grid by optimising the start and stop moments of the charging of the by them controlled fleet of Teslas and Zoes. This allows more electric vehicles on the public grid before any massive overload will occur. I will check with them whether they do something with the SoC limit at all. Once I have spoken with them directly, I learned from them that they only can start and stop the charging process. But whether they can or do use the SoC limit in order to deal with that I do not know. Sofar, I have used this service 3 months and I have never seen or experienced anything like this before.
I have no further 3rd party apps that know the Tesla credentials. Do you know of any issues like this with any apps?

I do not know of any apps with this problem. I was making a suggestion to eliminate possible interference from outside sources.
OK, so I contacted the JedLix team and they responded that it was due to a bug in a new software feature where they soon want to offer a settable change limit via their software. Thanks for the hint to look into 3rd party apps.! Now I know why.