Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Model X rear ended only 2 hours after picking it up in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have mine set on 7 all the time. It still sees slow moving traffic very late for my liking and then brakes hard. It's fine when following fast moving traffic which then slows down. The problem is when you are approaching a line of slow traffic at high speed, it simply can't see far enough ahead to react sensibly and bleed off some speed on initial approach. So I just switch out of AP in that situation and brake manually.

The other thing I don't like is when a car pulls out in front of you at high speed, AP tends to over-react and brake much harder than I would manually. It doesn't make the same flexible use of the gap to the car in front when braking as you would when driving manually. So that's another potential for getting rear ended I guess.

But overall I don't feel more or less vulnerable to being rear ended in the X than any other car. I think where you are driving is a much bigger factor and luckily in the UK it's not a major problem.

Agreed.

What I do when seeing traffic slow and/or stopped in front of me (whether from a stop light or traffic related) is to quickly ratchet down speed (sometimes as low as 18mph setting) so that X will approach the stopped cars much more slowly and it will ease to a stop.

Having setting at 7 gives me the time to do that and provides room to go forward a bit if some other driver behind me is not paying attention.

Agreed.

What I do when seeing traffic slow and/or stopped in front of me (whether from a stop light or traffic related) is to quickly ratchet down speed (sometimes as low as 18mph setting) so that X will approach the stopped cars much more slowly and it will ease to a stop.

Having setting at 7 gives me the time to do that and provides room to go forward a bit if some other driver behind me is not paying attention.

Are you on AP1? I ask because on AP2 even when you set the following gap to 7 it still pulls up very close to the car in front in stop/start traffic and does it very smoothly. It only leaves a generous gap when moving at a reasonable speed, which is quite a nice feature and allows me to keep it set to 7 all the time. The only time I have a major issue with it is when the closing speed is too high e.g. I'm at 75 mph approaching crawling traffic.

I think the issue is how far ahead the car can actually "see" or at least gauge speed of other vehicles at a distance.

I checked my statement again last on the drive home and I got brake lights a little above 50MPH. Wondering if it is related to state of charge. I generally keep the battery between 60 and 80%, last night I was around 40%.

No, I had a fairly low charge when I tested mine (probably around 30%). Have you checked your regen setting isn't in "low" as that would explain the major difference? I'll try that setting today and see how it responds in my car. But I've been checking my brake lights on a fairly regular basis due to threads like this and don't have any issue with their activation. Basically if the car is braking on regen the lights come on regardless of speed if I lift off completely.