Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My (new) Model Y almost always sounds like it is charging, what is it actually doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a new Model Y last week, upgrading from a Bolt EV.

The almost anytime I go in the garage I can hear what sounds like pump or maybe fan noises that I associate with the Bolt charging. Many times when I have done this it has been a good six to twelve hours since the Model Y has completed charging. I don't have a scheduled start time. I do have cabin temperature protection on (and I set it to 90ºF), however it has been inside a cool garage (around 56ºF) and out of direct sun many times when I have hear this sound so I wouldn't think it is the A/C running.

Any guesses on how to figure out what it is doing? It isn't loud, I don't need to actually prevent it if this is normal.

I just got a new Model Y last week, upgrading from a Bolt EV.

The almost anytime I go in the garage I can hear what sounds like pump or maybe fan noises that I associate with the Bolt charging. Many times when I have done this it has been a good six to twelve hours since the Model Y has completed charging. I don't have a scheduled start time. I do have cabin temperature protection on (and I set it to 90ºF), however it has been inside a cool garage (around 56ºF) and out of direct sun many times when I have hear this sound so I wouldn't think it is the A/C running.

Any guesses on how to figure out what it is doing? It isn't loud, I don't need to actually prevent it if this is normal.
Your Tesla Model Y is likely remaining in Standby mode when you park because Sentry mode is active and prevents your Model Y from entering Sleep mode. Set Sentry mode to be off when parked at your Home location. (You can set the Home and Work locations in the Tesla Navigation settings.)

Your Tesla Model Y will routinely communicate with Tesla's servers when downloading Tesla software updates and uploading vehicle driving history data that you can choose to share with Tesla. Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi signal where you park your Mode Y. You may need to install a Wi-Fi repeater if the home Wi-Fi signal is weak. Other options include using your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot (when downloading Tesla software updates.)

Last edited:
Your Tesla Model Y is likely remaining in Standby mode when you park
So the fan/pump noises are a Tesla in "Standby"? As in no HVAC for the passenger cabin, but if the edutainment computer "gets warm" it'll cool it, and, um...does this mean the main Tesla battery is in use, or just the little 12/14V battery?

So I should be able to test this by excluding home, and once confirmed I could just un-exclude home? (I mean what if I leave the garage open by mistake? I need the Tesla to capture video of any dogs that come by, or anyone dropping off packages!)

The WiFi in my garage is pretty decent, it is almost just below my office where the house's WiFi originates. I haven't' checked to see what the Tesla specifically thinks of it, but it is "all the bars" on my phone so it ought to be at least close to full reception for the car. It definitely had no problem getting a software update via the house WiFi.

So the fan/pump noises are a Tesla in "Standby"? As in no HVAC for the passenger cabin, but if the edutainment computer "gets warm" it'll cool it, and, um...does this mean the main Tesla battery is in use, or just the little 12/14V battery?

So I should be able to test this by excluding home, and once confirmed I could just un-exclude home? (I mean what if I leave the garage open by mistake? I need the Tesla to capture video of any dogs that come by, or anyone dropping off packages!)

The WiFi in my garage is pretty decent, it is almost just below my office where the house's WiFi originates. I haven't' checked to see what the Tesla specifically thinks of it, but it is "all the bars" on my phone so it ought to be at least close to full reception for the car. It definitely had no problem getting a software update via the house WiFi.
No, the low voltage battery does not have the capacity to run the Tesla low voltage systems. The low voltage battery only has the capacity to power the LTE modem, BT modem and the door locks when the Tesla Model Y is in Sleep mode. The low voltage battery is used to power up the Tesla vehicle's computers Once powered on, the Tesla vehicle powers all of the low voltage systems using the power conversion system (PCS) The PCS is a high voltage DC to low voltage DC converter.

When the Tesla Model Y enters Sleep mode, periodically, the Tesla Model Y will wake from Sleep mode and charge the low voltage battery using power from the high voltage battery using the PCS.

Also, the Tesla Model Y must be able to enter Sleep mode, occasionally, while parked so that the battery management system (BMS) can measure the open cell voltage of the cells in the high voltage battery. The OCV data enables the BMS to better estimate the state of the battery over a range of state of charge.

Just get a Ring security spotlight camera or similar to monitor the front of the garage. Leaving the Tesla Model Y in Standby mode (this includes whenever Sentry mode is active) wastes power, is inefficient as the Tesla Model Y consumes ~230W in Standby mode (only 25W when in Sleep mode.)

The sounds you hear coming from your Tesla Model Y could be the BMS cooling the battery by circulating coolant or the thermal management system capturing heat energy from the passenger cabin or infotainment computer. While uploading data to Tesla's servers or downloading an update the infotainment computer may need to be cooled.
Cell balancing can take place at the end of a charging session, automatically. This could cause the fan to run to cool the battery. Your Tesla Model Y is an active part of the Tesla fleet and can run Tesla directed routines while parked, at any time.

Last edited:
Cabin Overheat Protection should not run when the temperature inside your garage is 56F. COP with AC can be set to run at these approximate temperatures: 90/95/100F. COP without AC (Fan Only Mode) uses much less power (2/3rds less) than COP with AC, would run when the cabin temperature is above 100F. COP only remains active for 12 hours after you park your Tesla vehicle.

As I recall, when I first got my MYLR (February 2022 in Ohio, so no cabin overheat protection involved), it seemed like it was frequently making noise when it was plugged into the wall connector (charge level set to 90%), even though it would be fully charged. It would be at times when the car hadn't been touched for hours, like 11pm or 8am. I didn't have any scheduled departure or charging times active. Maybe there's some sort of battery or other routine that runs when the car is new or is on delivery firmware? Then again, it could have just been my perception with this being my first EV, but I stopped noticing it after a week or so and it hasn't seemed to do it since.

Reactions: fholbert