Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My New Tesla - What a NEGATIVE Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't think it makes sense for Tesla to sell demo/inventory models that they are actively using.

Oh it’s better than that. They sell the loaners they’re using; then go out and rent ICE cars from rental companies like Enterprise to loan out. Kind of defeats the purpose of their mission statement and results in some cash burn there.

• Funny
Reactions: Tourman and cwerdna
Just escalate to the store manager and call him/her. Re-tell them your story and ask for what you feel is fair. My X took exactly 60 days from order to delivery in Q2. If you order before Nov 1st, I’m quite sure it will get delivered by 12/31. I would order a new one. As someone once said about a Model X , “every month counts”. I had an inventory 2016 MX (bad car and experience) and now a 2018 MX which is superior in every way, Doors, Road Noise, Motors, Suspension, CPU, AutoPilot....

Good luck!

I really don't think it makes sense for Tesla to sell demo/inventory models that they are actively using.

...But they do it anyway.

I guess it makes life easier (in the short term at least) for those on the ground with service customers demanding loaners while their car is sat in service waiting for parts etc. I suppose statistically not many of those loaners actually get sold when they are out on loan or if they do they can usually get them back quickly. It's a calculated risk at the end of the day. The alternative would be a fleet of long term loaners with little retail value at the end. In this model, service customers get an almost brand new loaner and Tesla still get to sell it close to full retail price. The losers are people like the OP who get caught ought when attempting to buy one! My car is going in for its first service on Monday, so will be interesting to see what I get as a loaner. If it's a very low mileage S or X, then I'll know it's almost certainly listed for sale as inventory stock.

My car was in for warranty service for about 2 weeks. They delivered a loaner to me ( about 180 minute drive round-trip), 2018 P100D with 2800 miles. 7 days later they call to arrange to swap it out for a different loaner as my loaner had been sold. They delivered a 2015 90D with 45K miles for another week. I was never inconvenienced and appreciated their efforts to do all the driving between Toledo and Cleveland. SC was great!

I bought an inventory car. In my case, the car was brand new with 8 miles on it. When I told my advisor what I was looking for, she sent me links to cars that were available in my area. I live in the Seattle area and I was told that there reason there are so many new inventory cars in the area is that there is a large storage facility nearby. The only thing my car did not have that I wanted was the larger black wheels. They ordered the wheels and will swap them out once they get here without any charge.
I didn't get a discount, but I got the car in a week.

IMHO I would only get an inventory car with a discount. There is no reason not to. My second MX has little over 4000 miles on it. It was a demo, not a loaner. I was send many detailed pictures of interior and exterior. Only thing it had was a small curb rash on one of the back wheels. I didn’t care because I was going to powdercoat them anyway (again IMHO much better than black wheels and no 20 percent milage penalty). I got $20k off and that was the only way I could justify a P car. My warranty starts with milage at delivery. Shop around!

Let me start by saying I bought an X, will be delivered soon.. I love the brand, love the X.. The "sales" model and such... Well get this...

So as someone that went from the CPO/Used search to then finalizing on a new, in-inventory model, I am ASTONISHED by the experience I have had with Tesla so far... Over 3 locations..

So I live in Orlando. Search started with Tesla of Orlando on my new, in-inventory search. Unfortunately my owner adviser, was unable to be reached the day I found an inventory Model X at Tesla Atlanta... So I reach out to Atlanta.. Get an owner adviser there, that initially, was very helpful. Not only locating the model they had, but as well, finding one in Indianapolis that also met my criteria. So great, Thursday of last week I commit my intent to drive up to Atlanta from Orlando and confirm my delivery first thing Monday morning.... Adviser sends me pics, confirms my arrival and encourages me to make the drive to take delivery on this X.

Drive up to Atlanta all excited, arrive Monday morning first thing, only to have them tell me the X I am now there to buy is a loaner car and is loaned out... Has been since Saturday and my owner adviser notified them I was coming up. "Honest mistake" is the only excuse I get from the adviser as I make the return trip back to Orlando and a 7 hour drive......

So.. Washing my hands of this guy, I reach out to Indianapolis.. Get a great owner adviser that confirms this model in inventory and can have it shipped down to me. Apparently, this model was a marketing vehicle, 700 miles on it, with a, roughly $1k incentive due to the miles. Checks all the boxes otherwise, so I commit to it, toss them my $2500 deposit and request updated pictures, imperfections, interior condition, etc...

What do I then find out? They have no idea where the car is.. NONE.. Turns out, their marketing vehicle that is NOT a loaner has been loaned.... The vehicle I have now completed purchase of, (even at the time of writing this, 24 hours later,) is sitting in some ladies driveway in Indianapolis! To get me the pictures I so need, they have the nerve to ask the person loaning my now purchased vehicle to take some pictures for them.. Which they then send me.. They DON'T ask the loaner be returned or swapped for another, they DON'T offer to deliver her a replacement loaner and take "my" X..

24 hours after closing the deal, deposit and finance, "my" Model X is in some ladies driveway still. No concessions.. Add to that, I am promised, PROMISED delivery by the end of this month... Get an email from the logistics guy in Vegas which tells me delivery in a MONTH... November, 20th.... (I COULD HAVE ORDERED A NEW ONE and had it delivered to Orlando in less time.......)

No concessions.. Not even, "here, have a free t-shirt for all your troubles.."

One MIGHT expect this at a Kia or Ford dealer.. (Who am I kidding. This is unfathomable from any brand, or industry.) But we are talking a six figure, "luxury, high line vehicle."

Apparently, only at Tesla can you buy a $100k+ car, that is currently being loaned to a service customer, of which no one truly has an idea of where the car actually is...

Surely all of this should warrant me a set of 22" wheel concession right? ;)
I'm in Orlando....cpo was in NY....drove 18hrs to pick it up....now 30 days later, it's got expired plates and registration because the paperwork submitted by the Tesla NY branch was rejected and returned by DMV and nobody knows why. Most expensive paperweight ever.