Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY order and battery day.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to tesla community. I have decided to order a MY. My question is, is there any reason to wait until after battery day (sept 15th) to place my order? I don't want to order a MY now only to have it announced in Sept that new batteries will be going in that extend range or charge faster or some other benefit. Any thoughts on this?

I am new to tesla community. I have decided to order a MY. My question is, is there any reason to wait until after battery day (sept 15th) to place my order? I don't want to order a MY now only to have it announced in Sept that new batteries will be going in that extend range or charge faster or some other benefit. Any thoughts on this?
Obviously no one can answer this conclusively but do you suspect they are holding this event to announce old technology?

The minute you take delivery of your car it is obsolete in some way.

If you continuously hold off on placing an order, you will never have the car.

You need to decide where the balance is.

I am waiting to place my order until I can get the new battery And it is built in Texas.

• Funny
Reactions: raggedy
Do you think that Teslas made 1 day after battery day will have new batteries? Maybe, but problably not. So there will be onramp for them.
Do you think that there will not be any premium for getting a 'better' battery? Maybe, but would you be willing to "upgrade" for a nominal fee of lets say $10,000 to have a battery that lasts 1 million miles vs current one that is 500k miles? Will your tesla ever even see 500k miles? Thats decades! You arent going to upgrade your car for decades?

IMO 1 million mile battery is good for cars burning 100k miles a year. Ubers, taxis, commuters with 100+ mile commutes one way.

Do you think there will be no downsides to 1 million mile battery over current battery? They are changing chemistry, what if its 1 million mile but capacity is lower? What if capacity is the same, but its heavier, so effciency of the car is lower? What is its charge rate is limited by new chemistry?

I dont know answers to these questions, but just things to think about... there is a good possibility that this battery is just straight up better in all regards. But do you think the upgrade would be free? Maybe? Maybe not. For the entirety of Tesla's existence, they have always had price tiers for different ranges. I dont see why they would give a better battery for the same price. Someone has to pay for the R&D.

Tesla has recently updated its Chinese online design studio and it now shows 635 km (395 miles) of range for the Made-in-China Model 3 Performance version, announced in April and scheduled for Q1 2021...so if you can wait till next year