Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My P85DL insurance rates have just gone down, again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

I do not know how common this is but my insurance rates have declines by ~10% for each six month period since I bought my car in March 2015. The latest renewal (every six months in Florida) arrived this AM and was 9.6% less than the last one. Considering the discussion of insurability of Tesla I have not encountered similar stories, but I am certain there is nothing unusual about my experience. FWIW, a year or so ago a driver ran into me, causing no damage to my car. Progressive decided it was the other drivers fault, and mine was not damaged, but there is a police report. Still my insurance goes down.

Do other people have similar happy tales?

Also, I just compared with Geico for renewal, who quoted my 160% higher than Progressive. So much for "saving 15%"

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just speculating, but could it be related to the drop in value of the car? What I paid $150k+ for in late 2014 (with tax and ludicrous upgrade) is only worth a little more than half that now, based on the latest CPO and forum prices.
I asked my Progressive rep to be sure. Mine was valued at $128,000 when I bought it and is valued at $89,000 now. I asked what it would be were I to switch for the P100D I've been debating about ($153,000) and the rate would go up 4%. This it seems "loss if incurred" for collision is less of a factor than is "probability of loss". I wish I had access to their actuarial tables so I could understand just what they're doing. I do know from former work with actuaries that the algorithms for high-value vehicles (for some carriers) are often highly geographic and factor in "severity of loss if incurred" data including local repair costs. Thus I would not be surprised were their rates to be highly sensitive to prevalence of local body shop experience with aluminium and/or exotic vehicles. The collision pricing sensitivity suggests a strong sensitivity for "probability of loss" plus highly refined "severity of loss if incurred". I have insured Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Morgan and others, with never a claim, so claims history is counting for a lot. I'd like to know what they do with a new customer vs established one with identical histories. That would be informative.

Sorry if I'm going into too much detail.

I suspect it being a PxxD plays a role. It likely got actuarially priced alongside other performance cars and that may be tapering down b/c a) it hasn't been drag raced like every Mustang they insure, b) the performance numbers from Tesla were reduced after delivery (692 hp I think was the original advertised power).

For me, my 2013 S85 with high coverages was priced as follows:
Travelers for 1 year @ $1,053 (so basically 6 mo @ $563)
Travelers for 1 year @ $1,406 (so basically 6 mo @ $703)
Progressive for 6 mo @ 343
Progressive for 6 mo @ 404

No going down for me, but worth shopping around.

That said, when my insurance was issued out of Florida instead of North Carolina, it was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive! So I wonder if Florida has had better than expected no-fault loss history?

Mine typically goes down with USAA according to the market value of the car. That's for comprehensive, of course, not liability.

I also do not have a replacement value policy. If I did, I wouldn't expect it to go down, but rather move according to the price of the assumed replacement.