Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Paint Issues @Devon, PA Service for 2 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of MY on 6/5(traded my 2019 M3), overall looks okay except for the rear passenger door misalignment.

Got home, under direct sunlight found quite a
  • Lot of dust under paint issues on both B and C pillars
  • Rear seat folding misalingment
  • dings on door levers
  • paint touch up issues on trunk door
  • awfully misaligned both tail lights
  • paint overspray on passenger glass
  • passenger window making weird crack noise when closing
  • and misaligned driver side headlight fixture
Immediately reached out to my DA, sent some pictures since I couldn't attach all of them. Got response that i should book an appointment with service. Did that and the earliest they could see my car was a week later on 6/15. I personally reached out to Devon service team for getting my appointment moved up but no luck.

I live in Allentown so its an hour drive to Devon. Got there around 8:30am for a 9am appointment. SA showed up on time and when I started showing him all the issues, his first question to me was "are you serious about getting these paint issues fixed because this could be a really lengthy process?". I asked him if he will accept these issues on a car that costs 55k? he got pissed and rest of my appointment went pretty shitty. He insisted that I re-forward the email I sent to my DA and later forward to service center email so he has a paper trail to prove these paint issues existed before I took delivery. He mentioned about getting all of this on "due bill" and they will have to get approval from operations before they can work on it. I hated the whole process but I finally had him write them up and was told it will be few days before I get my car back. Got an old S as loaner which wasn't cleaned or washed, still had pet hair all over the car. SA said he doesnt have any other loaners, all they have are 2015 or older. Reluctantly took the loaner and drove home. Later that day, app showed it will be ready by 6/17 which then got changed to 6/22 and now it shows 6/30. So by now, MY spent more time in service center than in my garage.

at this point, i regret trading my perfectly fine M3.
Can you say how you handled the state inspection? (I'll be getting my car at Devon.)

Honestly not sure, I thought I remember seeing Tesla isn't allowed to do state inspections so it will be delivered uninspected. Hopefully someone who picked up in Devon can tell us.

Yes, I think in PA they give us a temp tag and you will need to get it inspected within a certain period of time. When I got my M3 they had just come out, I went to nearby AAA for Inspection and I remember being really scared about them putting on the lift wrong. They ended up using a pit, whew! I forget how long the temp tag is for 1-2 weeks? Not sure how they work Inspection with Covid rules. It really is a pain. The only one downside of Tesla not being a typical "dealer".

How fun! What do they even do to pass a tesla? Plug into the OBD II, look at the tires and that's it? Do we still get two stickers like our old ICE vehicles even though we don't have emissions? Maybe we don't have to pay as much? <doubt it> Thank you for bringing this up, I had no idea! Ordering lift pucks now

I don't think they even plug into OBD II (could be wrong). The OBD port in the Tesla's is "hidden" in the back passenger area behind the center console plastic trim. I doubt they pull apart the trim to do a regular state inspection. The probably just do a visual check. There is no emissions test necessary (nothing to test). You wont have to pay for it either. Just the 1 sticker for regular inspection.

Reactions: oxtox
Can you say how you handled the state inspection? (I'll be getting my car at Devon.)
I haven’t had the car long enough to take it to inspection. For my Model 3, I went to the local Toyota dealer and they did the inspection.

With MY, i am already overdue for inspection but the car is at Devon SC for two weeks now. I can see it is sitting at a near by body paint shop so hopefully they are repainting.

Honestly not sure, I thought I remember seeing Tesla isn't allowed to do state inspections so it will be delivered uninspected. Hopefully someone who picked up in Devon can tell us.
Correct, Tesla can’t do their own inspections because the dealerships are technically owned by Tesla.
They give you a piece of paper that says tou need to get it inspected within 10 days and its on you if you don’t.

If you are in York County, I have used Forest Hills Auto in Red Lion for inspections and tire rotations on my Tesla's, They know their stuff and how to lift the cars properly. Lots of our club members (TOC Susq Valley) use them.

http://www.foresthillautomotive.com/

I’m live just south of Red Lion and can vouch that Brian from forest hill does frequently work on Tesla’s. He’s a BMW certified tech now working out of his own shop and runs a small but well equipped operation.

• Informative
Reactions: Fred42 and Jashev