Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Performance tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon.

Finally my Y performance is due for collection next week.

Seen a few posts on groups and forums about the car coming with summer tyres, something I have never thought about before. Any new car has had all year tyres on from new.

Are most P owners changing the tyres from what the car is delivered with and if so any recommendations?

Hopefully the weather improves next week as don't fancy the hour home on skis, if the standard fit are not suitable.

Thanks in advance

Seen a few posts on groups and forums about the car coming with summer tyres, something I have never thought about before. Any new car has had all year tyres on from new.

In the UK we don't generally refer to our "standard tyres" as "summer tyres" ... but they are nevertheless summer biased. I am not familiar with new cars being supplied with "all year tyres" routinely from new (in fact I have never seen that as a description for any tyres). Proper "All Season" tyres are a distinct category (e.g. CossClimate 2). Speaking for myself if they were offered from new I would jump at the chance ... but for people who are intending to push the limits in the better weather they probably wouldn't choose to make that compromise on ultimate summer grip. The other category is the dedicated "winter" tyre of course, which is intended to be swapped over with standard/summer tyres depending on season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT3
I switched to Michelin Pilot Alpins, a proper winter tyre. Granted this is a M3P not a Y, but the difference is day and night. Big fan so far
Yes, I doubted the relevance of winter tyres for years ... but once tried there's no going back! There's no denying it's a faff arranging to swap on the rims, or a significant expense to go the whole hog and get them on an alternative set of wheels, but they just work so well ... as you say, night and day. I think I'll probably try the CrossClimate 2 when my full winters wear out and save the switching hassle.

Agree fully, I had alloys so could swap my wheels myself on the last car, but not quite there with the M3. When we had some heavy snow dubbed “beast from the east” by the media, I was pretty much the only thing moving. The police had blocked one hill and I asked them if they could move, they said I couldn’t make it! A deal was done that they could have my Audi if I came back down - I didn’t. (This was a jokey deal before anyone gets upset)

I even drove into snow drifts - just because I could. But even in the cold and frost the difference is amazing and I’m not even near speeding/performance driving, I’m talking control at or below legal speeds.

Dunno whose music was on…..😬