Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Powerwall grid outage tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I figured I'd create a new thread rather than risk derailing this thread with more of my postings there.

I repeated my test (from this post) this evening, got home a bit earlier (but sun still down, inverters in Night Mode) and the PW was initially reporting 100%, but I had to find/break out my old oscilloscope, it didn't just turn-on so I needed to futz with it a bit, then get it set up to measure the AC signal, etc. By the time I got all of this going the PW had dropped to 94.5%. :p

So it's an old Tektronix 2465B, what I believe was one of the last "true analog" scopes, though it's got some computerized features it can put on the screen. I put a 240FPS action cam in front of it and started recording. The normal (grid) AC waveform looked like this:

IMAGE1.png

And frame-by-framing it, I can see 4 frames from the beam reaching the peak of the sine to the next peak, which is what I'd expect for 60Hz and 240fps. And as the image shows, a bit over 3 cycles fits on the screen, and by the 4th cycle the beam is back on the screen again (so after 16 frames [or 66.6ms] the beam is back where it started). As luck would have it, I managed to flip the switch during the ~20% of the time the beam was off-screen, but there was no signal for a full 16 frames until the beam re-appeared. So 2 more shots, one where the beam had just left the screen, and the next one 15 frames later when it finally returned.

IMAGE2a.pngIMAGE2b.png

So it looks like even when the PW is already powering the house, a grid outage still causes up to ~60ms of power loss. Admittedly it's possible that once the scope missed a trigger it took a full screen update time for it to re-acquire the signal, so it might be shorter and an issue with my setup. But again my CCFL kitchen lights (and/or the Insteon switch that controls them) blinked noticeably and my TV turned off, the rest of my electronics seems to have ridden-through the outage once again. So it was definitely not a seamless transition.

The Powerwall's waveform doesn't seem quite as 'pretty', probably not a big surprise. I'll have to try the same sort of capture on a CyberPower UPS I have to see what the approximated sine-wave looks like on this scope. Since there had been a whole screen refresh without data the old signal was mostly faded, but you can barely make out the old-vs-new waveform in the first shot, and generally see the not-as-clean signal in the second one.

IMAGE3a.pngIMAGE3b.png

The transition back to grid was seamless as expected, though once again it appears to have occurred off-screen. Finishing this post with 2 more shots, one was the last screen with the not-as-clean signal (though the voltage had increased compared to the previous shot), and then 16 frames later after the screen had been re-drawn with the grid signal again (so no loss of signal, but the signal didn't improve mid-screen as I'd hoped to see). I'll also try zooming out to have fewer missing cycles, though the persistence of the screen starts to become an issue, might need to figure out how to do a pixel-OR of multiple frames or something (i.e. simulate a longer exposure on the camera, I'm sure somebody's done something like that before).

IMAGE4a.pngIMAGE4b.png

Ultimately, I'll try the same thing with the PW in a charging state, curious to see if the drop-out is any longer or if the result is basically the same whether the PW is charging or discharging, as well as trying to catch the frequency shift. So more updates to come as I get the chance.

I figure its worth correcting bad statements I made in my post on the other thread, debated doing that there vs. here but it's far-enough back in the thread that it seemed better here. I had said:

Other things I ran into was that both of my inverters remained powered, even though one of them sits between the main breaker and gateway, so it seems like there was enough voltage leaking through to keep the inverter powered (I threw its breaker and it turned off, threw it back and it turned on again), and my CTs clearly freaked-out, as the app suddenly started reporting ~0.3kW of solar production (even though the sky was black and the inverters were in Night Mode), and the gateway also reported energy coming from (or maybe to, I'd have to double-check) the grid even though it reported itself as islanded and the main breaker was off. When I turned the main breaker on again it seemed like only a few seconds before I heard the 'clunk' from the gateway and it was back to fully on-line (synchronization didn't take long at all), and of course the transition back to grid was seamless (I'd turned the TV back on to make sure it didn't glitch again).

The first part was a total brain-fart on my part, it makes sense once you think about how my service panel works. My original breaker panel is a single box with both the meter and breakers integrated, which both complicates the CTs (more on that later) and changes how the "main breaker" works. There is a "main breaker", but what I threw was the 100A breaker that feeds the Gateway, so the hot bus bars were still in fact hot, and the inverter was still being powered by the grid, just not the Powerwall. I should have thrown the real main breaker instead of the Gateway's breaker. It also means for testing that I can island the house, Powerwall and one inverter while still putting some energy on the grid from the grid-side inverter during my daylight outage testing. Though this might confuse the Gateway if it think there's too much solar production, so I'll have to see whether this works or not.

The way my service panel works also means the "grid" CTs aren't truly measuring the grid input (there's no place to get CTs clipped around), so they're measuring the sum of what goes to the Gateway and what comes from the grid-side inverter. Since the inverter still had power there would still be some current through these CTs, which the gateway could mis-interpret as current flowing from the grid. Now as to why the solar CTs reported ~0.3kW on them I still don't understand, but I'll note that they report a constant ~18W all night long, which amounts to ~0.5kW/day of over-reported production (so if the inverter PV disconnects are off the gateway still reports 0.5kW from solar each day). The reported value properly goes to 0 when I throw both inverter AC breakers, and it was a constant ~22W before I tidied-up the wiring around the CTs a bit, but I can't seem to get it any better than this. Next time I throw the Gateway's breaker I'll have to also throw the inverter breakers and see if both grid and solar properly go to 0. And I need to make my scripts that process the Gateway's API outputs smarter to these conditions to correct the errors (I'm already doing this for the 18W "offset" during non-production hours).

Anyway, last night (after midnight to limit the time where my PVOutput logs might need manual "correction" due to bad CT readings) I threw the main breaker and confirmed that the grid-side solar went down. The grid CTs went to ~1W, the solar CTs reported around 15W. I did get another capture from the scope (below), looks like it is a bit under 60ms, around 3 cycles of no voltage in the case where the Powerwall was already supplying the house load. Left the main off until this morning, then as the sun came up removed the grid-side solar from my CTs and re-activated the main breaker with the Gateway's breaker off, so the house remains islanded but half of my solar is still going to the grid while the PW charges from the other half (started around 43%, up to 75% right now). Will let the PW fully-charge and watch the frequency behavior. After I hopefully go through a cycle of PW charging/discharging/charging I'll put the grid-side inverter back into the CT loop and see how messed-up things get, not that it's representative of a real grid outage, just wondering what happens if the Gateway thinks more is going into the PW (or house) than really is. And will hopefully have time to do a simulated grid outage while the PW is charging to see if the turnaround time is any worse than the discharging cases I've captured so far.

Unfortunately, while I received an Eaton 5S700 UPS 2 day ago it appears to be DOA. So I won't be able to prove that it handles whatever frequency the PW is going to output with 1.35.2, looks like I'm going to have to RMA it. :p

NighttimeGridOutage.png

Interesting. Well, I've seen two completely different behaviors w.r.t. frequency from my Powerwall off-grid testing today. One was the old-school going up to 66Hz behavior, but it only did that once, and now seems to be doing a more gentile 'nudging' of the frequency to kick the solar off. So I heard my CyberPower UPS click once (and it did this around 88% SoC so it totally caught me by surprise, I hadn't started the scope camera yet as I was waiting for it to get above 90%), but I have not heard it click again as the solar continues to cycle on and off with the PW SoC hovering around 93%.

So it's going to take me a bit to gather all of the data I should have collected, but it looks like perhaps 1.35.2 is handling this better, possibly after a learning cycle(?) where it starts out with the more conservative behavior. If all that's true, however, I wonder how long it "remembers" what it learned about the inverter behavior, i.e. when it might go back to the more conservative behavior.

Sadly, I guess the Delta Solivia 5.2NAG4TL Tesla gave me doesn't support the more gentle throttling, seems once the frequency goes above 60.5Hz it simply shuts off, and has to go through the Synchronization phase (which takes like 5 minutes) before it switches on again.

Rising SOC has never been a problem (for me) although the frequency shift doesn't begin until 97% and is done by 98%. My inverters shutdown at 60.5Hz so just a bit over 97% is all it takes. As the battery supplies power and the SOC drops, so does the frequency, and by 97% is it back to 60Hz.

The test you want to do is get to 100% SOC and then simulate a grid failure by opening your main breaker and see what the frequency goes to.

I know this is an old thread but I'm considering getting the Powerwalls instead of a new gas powered whole house generator. I'm under the impression that the battery power provided by the powerwalls is instantaneous and clean compared to a gas generator.

Do you have any information, or was your scope capable of providing the total harmonic distortion percentage while running on batteries?

The scope I have claims normal grid power is about 2 to 3% THD. My old generator, that is getting replaced, runs at about 14 or 15% THD. The new generators claimed to be less than 5% THD. I'm really looking to find out what the THD is when running the Powerwall 2 with the internal inverter.

@woferry Have you ever run a test for the following scenario:
  • PW2 100% charged and hence in standby
  • Solar panels are producing electricity and being exported to the grid and powering the house
  • Gateway 2 is in Time-based control (Sost Saving) mode and Reserve for Power Outages is set to 70%
When I throw the service disconnect on my main panel, the solar inverter shuts down as expected. However, the PW2s beep (like they are resetting) and power is cutoff from the home. It takes about 15-30 seconds before the PW2s startup again and the home is powered. This is not a seamless transition as the lights, my NAS server and appliances al shutdown during that 15-30 second window.

Interestingly, if the PW2 are not 100% charged, say 95%, then the transition is seamless. I suspect it is because since the PW2s are 100% and when the service disconnect is thrown, the power from the solar inverter has nowhere to go so the PW2s shutdown to prevent overcharging. Does this make sense?

It's not a deal breaker, but it is very annoying because this is probably the most common scenario I will be in and so a typical power outage will not result in a seamless transition for me.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
@woferry Have you ever run a test for the following scenario:
  • PW2 100% charged and hence in standby
  • Solar panels are producing electricity and being exported to the grid and powering the house
  • Gateway 2 is in Time-based control (Sost Saving) mode and Reserve for Power Outages is set to 70%
When I throw the service disconnect on my main panel, the solar inverter shuts down as expected. However, the PW2s beep (like they are resetting) and power is cutoff from the home. It takes about 15-30 seconds before the PW2s startup again and the home is powered. This is not a seamless transition as the lights, my NAS server and appliances al shutdown during that 15-30 second window.

Interestingly, if the PW2 are not 100% charged, say 95%, then the transition is seamless. I suspect it is because since the PW2s are 100% and when the service disconnect is thrown, the power from the solar inverter has nowhere to go so the PW2s shutdown to prevent overcharging. Does this make sense?

It's not a deal breaker, but it is very annoying because this is probably the most common scenario I will be in and so a typical power outage will not result in a seamless transition for me.
I threw my main breaker the other day like at 1pm. PW's 100% charged. Solar going nuts. There was no delay in the change over. Nothing went off in the house. Inverter was turned off, my frequency went to 62.5 as I have tesla lower it for me.

So interesting it seems ours both worked differently. I was in balanced mode with reserve set at 10%

I threw my main breaker the other day like at 1pm. PW's 100% charged. Solar going nuts. There was no delay in the change over. Nothing went off in the house. Inverter was turned off, my frequency went to 62.5 as I have tesla lower it for me.

So interesting it seems ours both worked differently. I was in balanced mode with reserve set at 10%
@h2ofun Ok so at least it's confirmed that I wasn't going crazy. I envy your seamless switchover. My wife gave me this look like "who cares" when I complained to her about this. 😂 She said be thankful you have power during an outage despite the resets. BTW how did you get Tesla to change the frequency for the inverter to 62.5. Is that a ticket you file with Tesla?

@h2ofun Ok so at least it's confirmed that I wasn't going crazy. I envy your seamless switchover. My wife gave me this look like "who cares" when I complained to her about this. 😂 She said be thankful you have power during an outage despite the resets. BTW how did you get Tesla to change the frequency for the inverter to 62.5. Is that a ticket you file with Tesla?
I wonder if you tried in balanced?

I just called tesla PW support. They have been great. They did need my inverter info to make sure I guess it would work. I bought a kill a watt and plugged into wall when I did the test so I can see if go from 60 hz to 62.5, and then see my SE inverter turned off. So call tesla PW support and ask to lower. Still do not understand why they have it so high to start with

• Informative
Reactions: warriorsfan
I wonder if you tried in balanced?

I just called tesla PW support. They have been great. They did need my inverter info to make sure I guess it would work. I bought a kill a watt and plugged into wall when I did the test so I can see if go from 60 hz to 62.5, and then see my SE inverter turned off. So call tesla PW support and ask to lower. Still do not understand why they have it so high to start with
Can you explain from what frequency did you lower it from? Was it too high and causing a similar issue that I am seeing where power to the home is disrupted?
I can try the balanced one although I'm not sure why that would make a difference as this all works so as long as the PW2s are not 100% charged.

Can you explain from what frequency did you lower it from? Was it too high and causing a similar issue that I am seeing where power to the home is disrupted?
I can try the balanced one although I'm not sure why that would make a difference as this all works so as long as the PW2s are not 100% charged.
Not sure what the default is but from reading this site I guess like 64.5? I changed since others have had issues, so why not. I do not have the products these folks had issues with but just wanted to be pro active.

The reason I did my test with PW's at 100%, and full solar, is I wanted to make sure the inverters turned off, and I wanted to see what frequency was set in my GW.

• Informative
I had them lower my frequency to 62.5 as well it would hit 65 hz and anything LED would start flashing and my UPS would freak out because it was over 63.
I've done the same test as h2ofun and the transition was seamless.
@fragchild Before you lowered the frequency, when the PW2s are 100% charged, did the power go out for 15-30 seconds or was it instantaneous switchover, but just at a high frequency?

Unless something has changed, the shutoff frequency they start with is 65 Hz, which is too high for many things in your home. They know what the issue is now due to getting lots of feedback on it, so will lower it to something more reasonable as long as that turns off your inverter.

You can call them and ask them to lower it because "My Lights flicker, my microwave runs strange, and my UPS dont work right while at 65 hz. They may or may not ask what brand UPS you have. I have CyberPower ones which did not like anything above 63, so you could tell them cyberpower model number if they ask.

• Informative
Unless something has changed, the shutoff frequency they start with is 65 Hz, which is too high for many things in your home. They know what the issue is now due to getting lots of feedback on it, so will lower it to something more reasonable as long as that turns off your inverter.

You can call them and ask them to lower it because "My Lights flicker, my microwave runs strange, and my UPS dont work right while at 65 hz. They may or may not ask what brand UPS you have. I have CyberPower ones which did not like anything above 63, so you could tell them cyberpower model number if they ask.
They asked me none of those questions. I just said I have read, here, folks that had issues. The only thing they wanted was info on my inverters to make sure they would cut off at 62.5hz I assume

They asked me none of those questions. I just said I have read, here, folks that had issues. The only thing they wanted was info on my inverters to make sure they would cut off at 62.5hz I assume

Thats good, in the beginning of 2020 they were asking all sorts of questions. Everyone has different experiences with them on this topic. Some people have even had them roll a truck to verify (from posts here). Always good to be prepared even if they dont ask.

@fragchild Before you lowered the frequency, when the PW2s are 100% charged, did the power go out for 15-30 seconds or was it instantaneous switchover, but just at a high frequency?
Always instant unless the outside temp (my PWs are outside) was below 50 degrees fahrenheit. They would turn completely off for a good 5 minutes or so. Never could figure that one out.

• Informative