Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My project to get my solar roof installed has finally started!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool, but you will still be connected to the electrical grid when your project is complete. You may be generating more power than you are using, at least from march to october, and if you really oversized your system it could also generate more power than you use during the winter, but you will still be connected to the grid.

==============================

(Moderator note: changing the thread title because while there are definitely off grid setups, a solar roof and powerwall are still grid tied, thus "on grid". Thread title changed from "my project to get off the electrical grid has finally started" to "my project to get my solar roof installed has finally started")

Reactions: h2ofun
Very cool, but you will still be connected to the electrical grid when your project is complete. You may be generating more power than you are using, at least from march to october, and if you really oversized your system it could also generate more power than you use during the winter, but you will still be connected to the grid.

==============================

(Moderator note: changing the thread title because while there are definitely off grid setups, a solar roof and powerwall are still grid tied, thus "on grid")
Yeah, I phrased it wrong. I meant I won't be so reliant on the grid anymore and not have to worry about outages.

A 30% price increase and you didn’t tell them to go pound sand?
LOL, first thing I did. Then went to the BBB. That amounted to not much. Got a discount and a free powerwall.... but I think they gave a lot of people this deal since they screwed so many. Some people got a 50%+ price increase. They played me dirty though, claimed there was an issue with my permit for 4 months to stall for a price increase. However, after signing the new agreement, the obtained a permit within a few weeks.....

I have 2 ridges on my roof and you have at least 7 or 8 and multiple panes and you call that simple? If you are really that unhappy of the deal and feel that you were pressured into doing it, you can tell them within 7 days of completion to remove the solar roof, just pay for a new shingle roof, that simple!

Last edited:
Reactions: slave0418
Come on, everyone, the thread for that discussion is stickied up top. The OP started this thread to share their excitement about getting their roof project done. They made their decision, so let this thread be about this OPs solar roof installation. The other stuff can continue in the stickied thread.

the classified it as complex even though it looks simple to me.....
Not simple, but not complex either. Having just three levels of complexity is a bit disingenuous if you ask me. Tesla should evaluate complexity by the amount of material used, since the type and amount of flashing, and hip and ridge material should be a good starting point to account for complexity. Where the material is consumed, changes in level, pitch, reverse A's, dormers, sky lights, pent roofs, other architectural insanity, type, condition, and age of current roof, overall condition of property could then be factor in. Just be aware, some jobs you just want to walk away from by quoting a sky-high price.

LOL, first thing I did. Then went to the BBB. That amounted to not much. Got a discount and a free powerwall.... but I think they gave a lot of people this deal since they screwed so many. Some people got a 50%+ price increase. They played me dirty though, claimed there was an issue with my permit for 4 months to stall for a price increase. However, after signing the new agreement, the obtained a permit within a few weeks.....

I don't think they slow-rolled you on purpose. I assume they just cleared their queue of orders quickly with the price increase and you vaulted to the front of the line haha.

Regardless of Tesla's business practices; I think the tech behind the solar roof is pretty cool. Hope the system (and Powerwall!) deliver what you want in your quest to get a bit of energy independence!

BTW, while not a simple A-frame I don't view your roof as complex (especially the back hip section). Check out McMansion Hell, McMansions 101: Roofs for a better understanding of complex roofs.

Below is an example of a reasonably complex roof.

Attachments

• complex_3.jpg
    complex_3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: thohell