Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My project to get my solar roof installed has finally started!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they slow-rolled you on purpose. I assume they just cleared their queue of orders quickly with the price increase and you vaulted to the front of the line haha.

Regardless of Tesla's business practices; I think the tech behind the solar roof is pretty cool. Hope the system (and Powerwall!) deliver what you want in your quest to get a bit of energy independence!
Yeah, it is what it is. I accepted it and moving on with my life. I'm just super excited it's finally getting installed. Super geeking out.

Powerwalls up!

191194041_10158045194162918_1979854966852925274_n.jpg
190504475_10158045194337918_7334803109474442661_n.jpg
190650884_10158045194387918_2006020110306937179_n.jpg

Are the racks just to hold the (presumably crazy expensive) solar tiles while the install them?
Yes.

On our Solarroof, they used a crane to offload the tiles from a truck directly to the roof. The pallet of tiles never touched the roof since it was very heavy. The crew took each tile from the pallet as it was held by the crane inches above the roof, and placed the tile vertically in the racks. When they were mounting the tiles on the roof, they took them from the rack to the final position.

Here is what the hoisting looks like,

Last edited:
Yes.

On our Solarroof, they used a crane to offload the tiles from a truck directly to the roof. The pallet of tiles never touched the roof since it was very heavy. The crew took each tile from the pallet as it was held by the crane inches above the roof, and placed the tile vertically in the racks. When they were mounting the tiles on the roof, they took them from the rack to the final position.

I was thinking something like that but wasn't sure. That's crazy. I wonder if I should have my house vacated while they unload the tiles.

Yes.

Interesting - not what was done for us. Pallets were placed in the driveway, and they had a ladder hoist to bring the material up. Perhaps size of the job and/or potential difficulty reaching the roof is why they did not bother with that for us.

Of course, we were also on the just-in-time delivery model and the crew actually had about half a day where they didn't have much to do because the next shipment of PV tiles was delayed (apparently because the driver bringing them directly from Bufalo went to the wrong location.)

I was thinking something like that but wasn't sure. That's crazy. I wonder if I should have my house vacated while they unload the tiles.
I would not worry about it. For us, the worse was when they went around renailing or resetting nails in every piece of the decking. A whole day of hammering. I thought the ceiling was going to come down!

Reactions: thohell
Interesting - not what was done for us. Pallets were placed in the driveway, and they had a ladder hoist to bring the material up. Perhaps size of the job and/or potential difficulty reaching the roof is why they did not bother with that for us.

Of course, we were also on the just-in-time delivery model and the crew actually had about half a day where they didn't have much to do because the next shipment of PV tiles was delayed (apparently because the driver bringing them directly from Bufalo went to the wrong location.)
Wow. Direct the Buffallo factor to the job site!

Ours came from the Tesla warehouse about 10 miles away. Apparently, they were keeping the tiles, powerwalls, various electrical bits, wiring, etc in the warehouse. It is supposed to be a pretty big space. Worked well for us since the crew could call in the morning and have the tiles over by 10 AM.

Also, looks like your install is progressing well.

How many square ~ 23? It would probably take 7 to 9 days to install a similar concrete tile roof . Your roof is of moderate but typical complexity. The number of workers (*?) and the way they are working, while not excessive, is more then I would expect for a tile roof. But what gets me is the way they are working—one has to wonder if Tesla did any operations research.

Great overhead photos @thohell. So excited for you and just in time for Summer weather and the inevitable it seems PSPSs with fire danger winds. Would have loved a solar tile roof but last year went with panels (roof too new to consider) and enjoying the sun now. We're a 3PW install as well. I noticed a neighbor down the street who had PWs installed last year had the Tesla van outside and workers on his roof today. It's a smaller house and looks like he was maxing out his roof where he could. He had developer panels on his roof from time of purchase and was adding new Telsa panels to it. He said he had a 3-day power outage due to PSPS back in 2019 which prompted last year's PW order. Nice to see both of your jobs progressing. Keep the photos coming. Looks really sharp and kind of jealous.

Reactions: thohell