Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY Rear end paint scrape. What to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3286.jpg

I just noticed this while parking back at home. Of course, I didn't have sentry mode on so I don't know what the cause was. I'm guessing somebody swipped me while getting out of a parking spot behind me. I dont know. Living in NYC, I shouldn't expect anything less... TMC, any idea what this would cost me to repair?

Buying a Blackvue camera so that sentry mode doesn't constantly eat at the battery.

Have you tried heavy duty rubbing compound ? Or is the damage through the paint? Can't tell if there was structural damage from that pic.
Did not think of the rubbing compound as a solution. I will definitely look into it.

Doesn't look like any structural damage happened. Just some deep paint scraping action happening.

Have you tried heavy duty rubbing compound ? Or is the damage through the paint? Can't tell if there was structural damage from that pic.
This.

Start with rubbing compound or scratch remover first. This will show how bad it really is. Do not use orbital polisher if you don’t have experience with it.

A lot of people are mistaken clay bar for what it is. It does not remove scratches because it contains no abrasives. It restores the paint to the smoothness it once had. It might help with paint transfer, but a rubbing compound or scratch remover might work better.

Last edited:
This.

Start with rubbing compound or scratch remover first. This will show how bad it really is. Do not use orbital polisher if you don’t have experience with it.

A lot of people are mistaken clay bar for what it is. It does not remove scratches because it contains no abrasives. It restores the paint to the smoothness it once had. It might help with paint transfer, but a rubbing compound or scratch remover might work better.
Most 'scratches' that I've seen from something like this before turned out to be paint transfer. The issue with rubbing compound is that it's *very* easy to ruin the paints finish and shouldn't be done by someone unfamiliar with detailing / polishing. Scratch remover is definitely a good option though as it's more related to a polish.

Ehhhh rubbing compound should be a last resort. Start with a clay bar, if no results polish it (starting with the least aggressive pad and getting more aggressive if no results).
Clay bars are good for removing surface contaminants such as bugs, bird crap, sap and fresh paint overspray. Clay bars won't remove scratches or paint transfer. What are you suggesting he polishing, the scratch?
An orbital buffer with a scratch removing compound is the way to go. Pretty hard to burn your paint with an orbital buffer. Or rubbing compound as suggested, not understanding why it would be a last resort.