Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My sailboat battery project!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've decided to upgrade the battery pack on my sailboat! I bought four "sheets" from a salvaged Model S 85 battery pack, and have set about fitting them into my boat, to run the "house" electrical needs (lights, refrigeration, inverters, etc.)

If you're at all interested in the project, take a look: Swan 57

IMG_20161207_204035.jpg

Reactions: tander and Canuck
I've decided to upgrade the battery pack on my sailboat! I bought four "sheets" from a salvaged Model S 85 battery pack, and have set about fitting them into my boat, to run the "house" electrical needs (lights, refrigeration, inverters, etc.)

If you're at all interested in the project, take a look: Swan 57

View attachment 204980
Very cool. I raced for nearly 10 years on a Swan 53 named Mistress. So many amazing memories on that boat.

Put up half dozen full size solar panels would be step #1 for almost any sailboat with a cabin. If the diesel engine needs replacing (expensive) you might well consider going electric motor with batteries of course being in the bilge. But getting the panels up and enjoying the KWHs is key.
--

Since I was young I dreamed of retiring to a Sailboat and cruising the world. But alas, I fell in love with my first wife who had pronounced motion sickness. Skip forward 33 years and I married again, only to find out that my new wife, who is retired from the Navy, also suffers from motion sickness. Oh well, I just need to count my blessings. My wife, who was not sure about EV's when we got our Nissan Leaf is now a strong supporter of EV, wanting the Tesla Model S that we got last year, and then demanded that I place a deposit on the Model 3. We are now waiting for the D version.

Anyway, back to the story: Shortly after driving the Leaf a short while I was thinking of how to re purpose the battery of a totaled Leaf for use in Fan-Boats in the swamps, and in Sailboats to replace Diesel ICE. Now with the Tesla batteries a LOT of storage capacity can be placed in the bottom to replace LEAD, and with various recharge methods these batteries could become VERY useful. No need to carry large tanks of Diesel fuel, and no need for LEAD.

I am happy to see this thread, and to see that I am not the only one to be thinking about these things. Knowing that I will be forever land locked, driving our Tesla around the country, the SEAS are left to you, my fellow EVers.