Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My sentry didn't pick up someone vandalising the frunk.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.
Our car was parked in a local carpark, and when we returned to it, it had words etched into the frunk and 5 horizontal long scratches along the front. There were no sentry events recorded. We were confused as to why, so have run a few experiements. It seems if my 10 year old daughter approached the car from the front and applied pressure to the front (as if to vandalise it) and then left again without passing alongside the car, sentry missed it, Both times. Nothing on the video and the lights didn't flash. That said if my much taller husband did the same - he was caught on camera. So- not sure - is this an issue with our sentry or is this a known general sentry blindspot. Only had the car a few weeks so it's possible it's just our glitch. Be keen to know what others think and if any of you have had to run similar experiements!! Cheers.

Hi.
Our car was parked in a local carpark, and when we returned to it, it had words etched into the frunk and 5 horizontal long scratches along the front. There were no sentry events recorded. We were confused as to why, so have run a few experiements. It seems if my 10 year old daughter approached the car from the front and applied pressure to the front (as if to vandalise it) and then left again without passing alongside the car, sentry missed it, Both times. Nothing on the video and the lights didn't flash. That said if my much taller husband did the same - he was caught on camera. So- not sure - is this an issue with our sentry or is this a known general sentry blindspot. Only had the car a few weeks so it's possible it's just our glitch. Be keen to know what others think and if any of you have had to run similar experiements!! Cheers.
Does your car have ultrasonic sensor that show the distance when you pull up to a wall? They did stop installing them a while back and I wonder if the lack of them effects sentry mode's ability to detect shorter people and children.

As the car is new to you I would advise checking your sentry settings specifically the one which excludes certain areas like home etc. All in the manual. Never had an issue with ours.
Hi - Yeah, this is why we ran a number of experiments (nothing extensive - just 'recreating the crime') all over 2 seperate days in 3 locations. I figured if there was an issue with the settings such as home - it would be more binary; either it would pick up all events or none. What I don't get is why some are picked and others not.

If you notice something like this within an hour of it happening, then pull the USB drive out and plug it into a computer.
All dashcam footage is stored in \TeslaCam\RecentClips and deleted after an hour. Sentry events and "manually saved" by pressing the camera icon are put in separate directories and not deleted.

If it was more than an hour ago then "undelete" might help recover the files.

Or you need more than an hour you can use something like teslausb to store as much footage as your drive will hold.

If you notice something like this within an hour of it happening, then pull the USB drive out and plug it into a computer.
All dashcam footage is stored in \TeslaCam\RecentClips and deleted after an hour. Sentry events and "manually saved" by pressing the camera icon are put in separate directories and not deleted.

If it was more than an hour ago then "undelete" might help recover the files.

Or you need more than an hour you can use something like teslausb to store as much footage as your drive will hold.
Thanks for this info. I will store for use (hopefully not!) for next time.

I guess the issue isn't for me about accessing the event, more about why a deliberate act of vandalism wouldn't trigger any events. It seems it doesn't (as per the experiments I have run), so I still am trying to understand if this is my sentry at fault - or a known shortcoming of sentry. Maybe others in the community who don't have the ultrasonic sensors can try it too, with their own shorter people.

This does not seem normal from the perspective of how Sentry operates. Mine constantly picks up people that walk by any quadrant of my car within one foot. The cameras above the rear view look right down over the hood to the road as close as it can get to the car so there should not have been any issue with the height of the ‘perp’. Sorry that I cannot offer any explanations other than my comment that yours should be picking these things up.

This does not seem normal from the perspective of how Sentry operates. Mine constantly picks up people that walk by any quadrant of my car within one foot. The cameras above the rear view look right down over the hood to the road as close as it can get to the car so there should not have been any issue with the height of the ‘perp’. Sorry that I cannot offer any explanations other than my comment that yours should be picking these things up.
Hi - thanks that is really helpful! Someone else here has suggested it might have something to do with the fact that my car doesn't have the ultrasonic sensors (as it's manufactured after Dec 2022). May I ask - does yours? (Just to get an idea if this is indeed the potential reason), thanks.

This happened to me twice...car broken into and sentry didnt get anything. Had another instance where it was a hit and run, and sentry didnt catch it...For serious reliability get a blackvue camera installed. I find sentry to be kind of crappy. The dashcam that comes stock in my C8 corvette (from the PDR system) works WAY better than Tesla's.

Reactions: brkaus
actually, come to think of it - when we were experimenting, my 6 year old (so about 120cm) misunderstood the brief and went to the back of the car and touched the back number plate, and that event didn't trigger either, so maybe there is a correlation to the now missing sensors.
Sorry confused. Your 6 year old (who was 10 years old in the first post) was I would Hope supervised so assume it recognized your phone near by. As I noted skip the “experimenting” and simply disable the “do not enable xxx” in the software. If not at home it should pick up motion around the car.

Sorry confused. Your 6 year old (who was 10 years old in the first post) was I would Hope supervised so assume it recognized your phone near by. As I noted skip the “experimenting” and simply disable the “do not enable xxx” in the software. If not at home it should pick up motion around the car.
I have 2 children. My point was I had been focused on the front of the car when experimenting. But come to think of it, the touch at the back of the car wasn't noticed either, by an even smaller child. It is perfectly possible to supervise children from afar without holding a phone that is connected to the car. I note that you think this is all caused by my having my 'do not enable xxx' enabled. Thank you for your view, but I am pretty sure this isn't what is causing this as I pointed out before - the sentry continues to pick and choose what to capture.

This happened to me twice...car broken into and sentry didnt get anything. Had another instance where it was a hit and run, and sentry didnt catch it...For serious reliability get a blackvue camera installed. I find sentry to be kind of crappy. The dashcam that comes stock in my C8 corvette (from the PDR system) works WAY better than Tesla's.
Oh no! That sounds rubbish! Sorry to hear it. I find it weird that some people believe sentry to be bullet proof and others flaky. They sell it like it's really comprehensive. I was beginning to warm up to the idea that because my car was manufacturered this year after the ultra sonic sensors were removed, there is a corrolation (remember mine is a very specific example of it not capturing small people) but I guess as you say its just kind of crappy, more generally?

Sentry used to be triggered by ultrasonics. It had false triggers (motion basedlike bushes moving) as it wasn’t really detecting people. As of one of the more recent releases, I remember reading that it is now video based to be more accurate (to be debated) But that would depend on the vision models, so I’d guess there are shortcomings.

These recording features are all afterthoughts. I personally would not rely on them. And they use a fair amount of power keeping the computers running.

I do wish the would save more than 1 hour if an appropriate sized usb drive is installed. That limit seams silly.

Sentry used to be triggered by ultrasonics. It had false triggers (motion basedlike bushes moving) as it wasn’t really detecting people. As of one of the more recent releases, I remember reading that it is now video based to be more accurate (to be debated) But that would depend on the vision models, so I’d guess there are shortcomings.

These recording features are all afterthoughts. I personally would not rely on them. And they use a fair amount of power keeping the computers running.

I do wish the would save more than 1 hour if an appropriate sized usb drive is installed. That limit seams silly.
ahh - yes, well maybe my example adds to that debate, because theoretically, if you crawl up to the front or the back of the car now, it seems you can vandalise it without being tracked. Do you know if there is anyway to pass this feedback to the devlopement team - could be useful to them. And yes I agree about the 1 hour thing.