Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My tesla battery is dead (hoax!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the forum. Bummer. You should have left it plugged in like they said. Anyway...

1. Pop open the nosecone (someone will hopefully link to a post with good pictures)
2. Connect up the 12V jump source
3. Wait a few minutes
4. See if you can get the 17" to wake up
5. Pop open and unlock the charge port from the 17"

If you get lucky and that works, you're golden. If not, you'll want to call Tesla for help.

Here is a link to the thread to the relevant procedure.
Procedure-for-exposing-the-nose-cone-charging-lugs-for-the-12V-battery
Also note that the pictures on the first page are for the nose cone of an early "Signature" model which are different to later production models.
Post #28 on page 3 indicates where you should try for a production nose cone.
In any case we recommend you contact Tesla first.

Last edited:
Exactly why Gen 3 was not built before the model S. in other words, not everyone will read the basics of the car before purchasing , or even after. We have now gotten to the point with deliveries where it is not just innovators or people who have taken pride inTesla, but now the average joe is driving the car. This has always been my concern once deliveries started moving along.

Keep us informed. And first thing you should do is call tesla, not get on a forum.

not to pile on but.... don't people read manuals anymore?? all these situations are easily avoidable. who buys a $50K+++ piece of equipment and doesn't at least page through the manual on the toilet??

on a less condescending note: hopefully your battery pack hasn't been discharged for that long and you can recharge and have it fully functioning again without much fuss. please update us on the situation. it's good data for the (hopefully) very rare times someone else lets this happen.

good luck.

The car really should not let this happen. This is why people are saying that the car isn't ready for primetime (not me, but there are some). If an ICE car can be left sitting out there for a month and still be started, the Tesla has to meet or exceed the status quo. Hibernation/suspend/sleep should be an option and it should also automatically kick in when the battery power is low and the car has clearly not moved an inch for a long period of time. I mean, if our laptops know well enough to warn of low battery and critical battery and be programmed to self-initiate a shut down after warning you to save your work, surely Tesla can do better. It should be able to send out an alert to your phone via the Tesla app and automatically hibernate the car leaving enough juice for the owner to at least unlock doors and open charge ports to get the car charged.

Anyway, he just wants to open the charge port. I don't think his battery dead yet. He just wants to plug it in and charge so just stick a card there as leverage to open the charge port maybe?

The car really should not let this happen. This is why people are saying that the car isn't ready for primetime (not me, but there are some).
And what exactly is the car supposed to do about it?

Imagine people punctured their gas tanks with an ice pick. Or started a campfire under them. Should the car somehow violate physics to protect itself?

People with unrealistic expectations of technology are the problem. Not the technology.

When I see stuff like this (not the OP, but this expectations game), it makes me sad for the future of humanity that we're nannying future generations so that they are mental infants into adulthood.

Yes but what IS the real problem? The OP wasn't specific. [1][4] Is his 12 volt dead? Did he actually leave the car [2] unplugged [3] for a month?
I thought he was pretty specific.

1. My Tesla's battery is totally discharged
  2. I didn't have the power charger on.
  3. I have been travelling for a month.
  4. How do I open the charge port?

What's he's not saying, but I would agree with:
Model S should have some form of manual release (perhaps via additional key or hidden device in the fob) such that when the 12V is fully discharged (which blocks access to the 17" display UI for the charge port) the charge port can be opened and unlocked.

While I'm not certain that this could be made to work easily with a "charging station" (Supercharger, HPWC, J1772, etc.), I do have high confidence this could be made to work with 110V/12A and 14-50 receptacles.

Also, as an owner I think I'd be fine with not requiring a security mechanism (key / device in the fob) for the manual release as long as the manual release is disabled when the car is adequately charged. In other words, I want the safety feature when the car has the power to support it but I don't want it blocking me from waking up a dormant vehicle.

Because if the same scenarios, a Park -> Neutral physical release should be provided as well.

Last edited:
I thought he was pretty specific.

1. My Tesla's battery is totally discharged
  2. I didn't have the power charger on.
  3. I have been travelling for a month.
  4. How do I open the charge port?

Not to be picky (or too dumb) but I still don't think so.

1. WHICH battery? The 12volt could e dead and you wouldn't be able to open anything. No?
2. When the 12 volt went dead?
3. Could mean anything.
4. Even in context, couldn't it just be a dead 12 volt?

I guess it's just stupefying to believe that he'd go away for 30 days and leave the car unplugged which is ( I guess) how we're reading the OP?

For people that keep saying RTFM (read the #&$# manual)

"Wired: What does unconditional warranty? Transferrable?

Elon: Open the pack, use it for target practice, no intentional damage to the pack then you are covered. Complete piece of mind. Don't worry if you don't read the manual. Any product that needs a manual is broken."

When the car is plugged in normally, the main pack will top off daily, and the 12V will be topped off from that.

When not plugged in, the main pack will discharge until it reaches its shutoff threshold, where it goes into a sleep mode to protect the pack. At this point, the 12V stops getting topped off, and will die fairly quickly. You cannot charge the main pack while the 12V is dead, since the 12V powers the relay that's required to bring the main pack online. So as others said you need to recharge the 12V first.

And by the way, it's not like the 12V on ICEs won't die if the car isn't started for awhile. Remember the MS 12V doesn't need to provide cranking amps to start an engine, so I believe it's a lower capacity pack.

Mod Note: We're checking the IP and user details (once California wakes up) because, and call me a cynic, the first post from someone located in Fremont is a bricking story and they came here before calling Tesla....? I'm inclined to temporarily lock the thread but we don't need a censorship discussion either.

Status
Not open for further replies.