Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Experience So Far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this goes really long (Stephen King once said something about "diarrhea of the word processor" or something like that). Let's get right to it.

I have made many mistakes in the course of owning this vehicle and I will admit full responsibility for matters as we go. While I generally hate getting out of my comfort zone, I also have a curious nature and a propensity to do things "for science!" that is potentially problematic when it comes to the long term upkeep of a sick ride.

2015 Model S 85D (Deep Metallic Blue)

Mistake #1 - doing no research at all before choosing which Tesla to buy other than what was cheap (relative to the crazy at the time, more on that later), near me, pre-approved for financing with zero down payment, and available right then because someone offered to cover my shift at work of I wanted to buy this car and because I had the itch bad I just went for it. If I knew then what I know now I would have tried to find a facelifted S with FUSC if possible (idk how easy they are to find as that information doesn't tend to be shown in car listing), MCU2, ability to FSD, USS, etc.

Sticker price for said 2015 S 85D - $46990

Mistake #2 - I bought my Tesla in March 2022 near the peak of insane used vehicle prices. Needless to say I am pretty far underwater.

Mistake #3 - Long story short, there were two small dents and a gouge that I paid to fix that weren't my fault. Is what it is. $2200

Mistake #4 - A friend of mine has a driveway with a nasty drop off. Parking to the side of the road is not really an option in the winter so brave the drop off against my better judgement, you bet. Cracked radiator with other miscellany, $1200. Now, I just go really slow and precise over that drop off, cross my fingers and pray.

Mistake number #5 - Scratched rear slightly when I was backing it off of ramps at another friend's house due to me going too fast in R, not paying attention to the USS, and his girlfriend's yard being an absolutely chaotic mess (I microscopically dinged my door on an unfortunately placed wagon that I should have seen the same night). Low priority, have yet to fix. Estimated to run $800. I barely notice it nowadays but intend to fix eventually.

Mistake #6 - Worst yet. I was way too overconfident and tried to take a 90 degree turn at much too high a speed in snow. Curbed it, and quite hard. I was extraordinarily lucky and did not scratch or dent the body of the vehicle at all. What I did do was destroy the driver side front wheel, control arm, and drive shaft. With the $800 94 mile tow to the nearest Service Center and the repair running a cool $2400, I'm beginning to get a bit hot under the collar.

Of course, not even two weeks after receiving the car back, my parking brake capped out. For several days I was able to drive around by fighting with the PB using tow mode and a bit of luck. Got it to the Service Center once more $750.

It's been about a month since then. Now one of the light strips for my driver side rear brake light is out, and while I could likely replace it myself, I need to go to the city where the Service Center is anyway in the near future so I figured I'd just schedule another appointment. God knows what this is going to cost, especially if I roll in a fix for the charging port door, which neither opens nor closes reliably.

Also, I left out the part where I ended up in the ditch in a snowstorm and had to tow it out by the control arm because I haven't pulled up the frunk and confirmed if I have a tow eye in there or not, let alone practiced taking off the nose cone. Go slow when the weather is bad kids, real, real slow. I didn't count it as a full mistake because it cost me $0, there was no damage to the vehicle, and with the road conditions what they were something like that can happen easily, though I recognize I should have been going slower (was hardly ripping it up however).

Needless to say, the first year of ownership of this vehicle has been a disaster, mostly my fault. I recognize this and am committed to improving my treatment of this vehicle for my safety and the safety of others.

I share this so that others can avoid the same mistakes I've made.

20220321_122109.jpg

You may not necessarily want AP2. There's always a give and take. Where AP2 gained additional functionality with it's capability for FSD, from what I have heard from people who have owned both, the AP1 cars are superior in terms of their ability to match speed with the vehicle ahead while also maintaining a proper following distance. From what I have heard the newer Teslas are much more aggressive in this regard and are not as "smooth" at operating in stop and go traffic. Perhaps this has to do with the removal of the ultrasonic sensors and the switch to Tesla Vision.

I would personally be OK with lacking AP2/FSD if I still got FUSC, the facelift, and the Smart Suspension. Just me though, and maybe that's why AP2 Cars with FUSC are so hard to find. Perhaps their owners would not like to part with them!
am looking at a 2016 and on the screen it says

autopilot computer: full self driving computer

Full-self driving capability included package.

Does this mean it has fsd built in ?

There - fixed that for you :)
Well I was more referring to their explanation that they improved autopilot hardware (not the software) - more cameras, better radar and US sensors. I’m quite happy with my AP1 car and can’t understand the reason they wanted to invent their own. Haven’t driven any AP2 or AP3 cars in that matter so can’t imagine how bad the “improved” software currently is…

am looking at a 2016 and on the screen it says

autopilot computer: full self driving computer

Full-self driving capability included package.
What does it shows on the Additional vehicle section? Is there a NVidia processor or Intel? If it’s Intel then the car have MCU2 installed and according to the info you have given it might also have AP3 hardware installed and possibly activated as well.

A49FEB42-D5EA-4D23-B458-6BDA7D42D1BD.jpeg

We have 2 Model S, AP1 and AP2. I have AP1 which I like to use on my car, my wife has AP2 and she turned it off in the settings as she hates it. Every once in a while when I drive her car, I would try AP2 only to turn it off after behaviors like phantom braking annoy me (and other drivers around me). 2022 Model S stalkless yoke is definitely not better IMO than the older stalked steering wheel. The currently available round wheel is even worse, as it is still stalkless but now your hands are not forced into specific positions. Newer is not always better with Tesla, especially true for cars under a couple of years old - for example latest Teslas don't have parking sensor functionality, a 2013 does. When we bought our 2017 Model S, it didn't have auto wipers or automatic headlights for over a year, while the 2013 and 2015 did from day one. There are of course things which do improve, such as seats, however that is a personal preference too, as even though I personally liked the newer seats better, I've read here from people who preferred the older seats.

So I think this just boils down to "there is no golden rule that older or newer is ALWAYS better". One should always compare products based on their function available and working at the time of purchase, and decide which one they like best, because "better" has to always be qualified "better for whom?", meaning it will be different for different people. I stopped buying Model S after 4, because I honestly don't believe the latest ones are better, for me.

Definitely agree there as I also love my old nosecone 2015 85D rebuild to 100D for several reasons:
- Free SuC
- 22kW AC charging (newer cars limited to 16,5kW and the latest to 11kW)
- AP1 works just fine for me especially when considering AP2, wouldn't change it
- it has the possibility to mount the roof rack while the latest cars doesn't have this possibility I believe
- also like the look of the old dashboard more then M3/new MS look

Reactions: whitex
a brand new radiator is 30 bucks i bought one like 6 months ago, you overpaid lol

Also I'm assuming that you didn't have snow tires on which is why you keep crashing (M/S tries aren't as good as snow tires). I have Pirelli sotozero on my car and it handles as good in chain control areas at 60 mph as it does in the summer at 90 mph with my summer tires on. I have tried to lose control a few times in the snow and ice and yeah if i try to i can get it to break loose but i immediately am able to regain control very easily.

Your whole thing reads like you suck at driving, constantly hitting things or not paying attention, bro go back to drivers ed 🤣🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Sanderpman12
What does it shows on the Additional vehicle section? Is there a NVidia processor or Intel? If it’s Intel then the car have MCU2 installed and according to the info you have given it might also have AP3 hardware installed and possibly activated as well.

View attachment 901614

it says full self-driving computer

also says intel atom

software screen says FSD beta 10.69.25 (2022.44.25.5)

does this mean it already has FSD and dont have to pay the additional $15k or $200/mo.?

also says intel atom

does this mean it already has FSD and dont have to pay the additional $15k or $200/mo.?
the other car says the same thing but says v11.1(2022.44.25.3) and the seller is saying it includes full FSD that i dont need to pay

also says intel atom

This car currently has the FSD beta software on it (latest version).

the other car says the same thing but says v11.1(2022.44.25.3) and the seller is saying it includes full FSD that i dont need to pay

This one I am not sure about - it may have the standard (non-beta) FSD package.

It's not unheard of for FSD to be stripped by Tesla when the ownership of the car is transferred so there is no guarantee that it will remain with the car.

This car currently has the FSD beta software on it (latest version).

This one I am not sure about - it may have the standard (non-beta) FSD package.

It's not unheard of for FSD to be stripped by Tesla when the ownership of the car is transferred so there is no guarantee that it will remain with the car.
Thanks Danny for the latest software to work I would assume it needs to have the hardware paid for ?

Thanks Danny for the latest software to work I would assume it needs to have the hardware paid for ?

Yes - the fact that the cars already have the software means the hardware is present in the car. All Teslas produced after 3/2018 contain the necessary hardware for the current FSD implementation. What you pay for is effectively the software license to enable the functionality. If the car already has the software enabled, you wouldn't need to pay for it.

Yes - the fact that the cars already have the software means the hardware is present in the car. All Teslas produced after 3/2018 contain the necessary hardware for the current FSD implementation. What you pay for is effectively the software license to enable the functionality. If the car already has the software enabled, you wouldn't need to pay for it.
The car I am looking at is a 2017 S. So it seems the previous owner paid the 15k already. Seller is non-Tesla dealer. Previous owner traded in this Tesla

I am debating between a 2016 ap1 car (old body) which has free super charging vs a 2017 (new body) which has fsd and mc2 but no supercharging. Price difference is around $8k. The 2017 also has 20k less miles. Is it worth the extra 8k?

The saga continues.

It has been 4-5 months since "The Curbening" - about 7,000 miles. During that time I have been much more careful with the vehicle and have not crashed it into anything or done anything to it to cause it problems. Yet stuff is still breaking.

The first problem to present itself post-Curbening was the left side tail light LED reflectors on the trunk - there was a significant amount of moisture ingress, and that caused the upper and lower LED reflectors to either be extremely dim, or completely non-functional, depending on the temperature. Low priority as the rest of the tail light on that side works; and according the Wisconsin Supreme Court, proper functioning condition doesn't mean perfect condition.

Second problem - parking sensors stopped working. Pretty annoying, as Auto Lane Change doesn't work, and all parking assistance features, including displaying distances from nearby objects, as well as Autopark, are complete no-shows. Still, completely driveable.

Third problem, the real kicker - my charge port has been making weird noises for months, but it had not affected being able to charge the vehicle or unlock the charge port. The light on the charge port also became hit or miss. Many times I would have to manually open the charge port door, and manually unlock the charge port from either inside the vehicle or the app, as well as manually starting the charge. No biggie, or so I thought. Definitely should have gotten that looked at sooner, though.

There I was one morning, after pushing it real late (moving stuff to my new place). Plugged in my car, and immediately got the dreaded "No Power" error, along with "Charge port disabled". I was unable to remove the cable from the charge port, and my vehicle somehow has no manual release for the charge port latch. If I would have been able to remove the cable, I would not have needed to call a tow, and would have been able to ramp drive the car onto my dad's flatbed.

Due to these factors, I had to call a tow truck from 45 mins away and get them to tow the vehicle almost 70 miles to the nearest SC. Cost me $800. Wish I would have known that my boss's husband would have performed the same tow for $300, but you live and learn. Last time I needed a tow, that guy was the only one out of 4-5 that I called that was willing to tow my car, so I went with him again this time. He skidded both rear tires and winched it onto his wrecker. I wish I could have been there to see it, but I had to cover at work to help pay for the butt hole puckering repair costs Tesla charges.

I entered the issues with the charge port, sensors, and tail light into the service section of the app and waited for the next appointment (vehicle was towed 5 days prior to the earliest service appointment, as I wasn't going to let the vehicle just sit in my driveway until the last minute).

Initial estimate was $400 based on what I'd written, and this estimate seemed too good to be true, as it was created before any human actually looked at the vehicle.

A couple days ago, the estimate was updated to $1000 or thereabouts, which was more in line with my expectations.

ETA for repair completion was yesterday, and when I woke up yesterday morning, the estimate had been updated to $3100-ish. Charge port was fixed, but apparently there was a knocking/popping sound in the suspension, and the cost to fix the sensors went from $200 to $650. Fixing the suspension is going to be $700ish, and the tail light is going to be $450ish instead of $100.

Apparently I also need new tires, which perplexes me as I haven't even put 30,000 miles on the tires yet, more like 24,000 max.

I approved the estimate but asked if the tires need a replacement immediately or if I can get a couple more months out of them. If I need to I'll get the tires replaced now, but I'd prefer to wait a little while if at all possible, since the tires are over $1100 for a full swap.

They literally respond to almost none of my questions, which drives me nuts. I plan on being a lifelong Tesla customer, but their customer service sucks because you can't talk to any service techs on the phone, and their responses to questions are either incredibly slow boated or non-existent.

I'm pretty peeved, but since this is my only vehicle (beater's dead) I don't feel like I have a choice but to eat the price. I also have zero plans to sell this vehicle, as I like it way too much and selling when I'm as far underwear as I am wouldn't be a great decision. I'd also lose the ability to take free road trips because of Free Unlimited Supercharging.

I was just starting to reduce down significantly my credit card balance that I'd racked up from the last repairs. Then this. I've had the vehicle a year and I've had to spend over $10,000 in repairs, some of which were my fault, sure. All the current issues could be classed under normal wear and tear, as I've been driving much more carefully.

Still though, this thing has been Armageddon to my wallet. Laugh if it's not happening to you. The build quality on the 2015 85D seems to be terrible with the amount of things breaking, though the car does have over 100,000 miles on it, so perhaps to be expected. Still blows though. My wallet is crying uncle, but I don't plan on tapping out on this car anytime soon. It's just too awesome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230329_004203_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230329_004203_Tesla.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 59
So it finally happened. I crashed the Tesla and caused major damage.

Let it be said that I was not driving crazily. While it was indeed my fault, I was not pulling any "slick" or "fancy" maneuvers.

It was nothing more and nothing less than a case of being exhausted and over worked. I checked my time sheets. I work two jobs, and in the two weeks of this pay period, I got paid for 117 hours.

Needless to say, I should not have been driving this night.

I give a guy rides to and from the job that we work at, and am currently renting his upstairs. However, instead of going right to bed, (which I SHOULD have done) I instead decided to drive the extra 16 miles to a couple of towns over, because no way was I going to miss Mondays (Monday nights are for the boys, after all).

I was not drowsy dropping dude off, because I had someone with which to converse. Upon leaving the duplex, however, I began to get drowsy. Long story short, I was nodding on and off the whole way back to town. Stupid, yes. I should have pulled over and cat napped for 20 minutes or something. ANYTHING other than continue driving. But that's not what I did. Because I usually always choose to push it, and burn the candle at both ends.

I went for it. I literally had to make it one more block, and take a right at a stop sign. Instead, I nodded off, and awoke to a stop sign coming at me at 50 mph. Autopilot probably saved my life from an even worse accident, as there are plenty of ditches I could have gone into on the way back.

I went over the curb, through (literally) the stop sign, and continued over about 40ish feet of curb/sidewalk, before going onto the road once more. Yes, the airbags deployed (and that detonation reeks, man). I was able to move the car to the side of the road, but upon parking, was unable to turn the vehicle on again. The doors wouldn't even open, but the driver door refused to close, so I was at least able to exit the vehicle. I seriously messed this car up, dudes.

I called the police (somehow, got no ticket), they facilitated the car being towed to a garage, and now I'm waiting on a 2-3 month backlog at a Tesla-certified body shop to get worked through before I even find out if my car gets totaled or not.

The insurance adjuster thinks the car is repairable, though I don't know if he got a good look at the underside, where I assume most of the damage is (hopefully not to the battery pack!). If it gets totaled out they did offer me what I'd consider a fair price ($31k, which would leave me $6k underwater on the loan, plus owing $4500 on the repairs).

This really sucks and I have no one to blame but myself. I know I should have handled this completely differently and not been blinded by desire for money, pushing myself so hard at work (and I am even having some work problems due to this time period and the incredible stress I've been under that we don't need to go into, but I felt it worth mentioning nonetheless). 117 hours in a pay period is definitely excessive, and it cost me my car (at least for now) and it also caused me problems at work, because I can't keep 100% on point work performance running on that little sleep, especially not after getting into a wreck that involved my baby.

Live life to the fullest. Money isn't everything. You could get in a car wreck, like me. I'm glad I'm ok, but it's very hard to maintain a positive attitude about the whole thing. Believe me, I'm trying. Also, despite the fact that I am devastated over this, I am trying to keep in perspective that I wasn't, nor was anyone else, was injured in this. It could have been much, much worse. A Tesla is just a material thing, and there are things that matter in life much more than just a car, even if it is (or was) an awesome car indeed.

Attachments

• 20230414_234555.jpg
    20230414_234555.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230414_234524.jpg
    20230414_234524.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230404_191737.jpg
    20230404_191737.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 45