Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S Build Thread...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I don't see many build threads on here, but I enjoy doing them because it can help others wanting to do similar modifications... not to mention I LOVE to see the transformation. Granted, it's a lot harder to do this with a Tesla than other cars, but should be fun none-the-less. That said, below are a few different threads I've done related to builds:

2017 Toyota Tacoma:

Obz Build Thread (Pic Heavy)... Now with a Harley Build

235607-4d5c9fc661ca4eb78684f3aa87373499.jpg

235608-9b5b5346de99e1df37f65d4bc95c4d40.jpg

My 2004 Harley Sportster 883:

My SUPER Sporty Transformation... - Harley Davidson Forums

235609-103b05532bc3cee4e464607d0fc68048.jpg

235610-cb703691a1d8cd8ce868a737f6d3f4a7.jpg

And now, the day I picked up the Tesla:

235611-01cf93d6936c4cfed96f326d062e4ab7.jpg

It's a 2013 P85+ Model S. I bought it off of a buddy who babied it. That said, there's a lot to be done to it, and it starts this week. The hope is that someone will find this useful if they want to do something similar as I go. Anyway, wish me luck!!

Did a little work yesterday. Got her all clean, clayed, polished, and sealed. Looks good if I do say so myself. I'm going to throw on the boot spoiler tonight if I've got a second and maybe pull the wheels and tires in prep for powder coat.

IMG_1552.jpg
IMG_1554.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg

Reactions: StarLog
My interest would be if your mods improve range. Adding a spoiler may do the opposite.

On the other hand, if you are building this for 'show', have fun.

Honestly I'm not too worried about it. If it does make a difference in range, I imagine it will be minimal at best.

Is it just me or could it use a paint correction? I see a lot of swirls there...

Sounds like a fun project - what is the plan?

Not swirls but during the sealant phase. That's from my dual action orbital.

Ahem... a sports car should look sporty, no? Spoiler will just do that.
It's a P85+ after all!! The sportiest of them all!

Amen!

Little more work done last night. Got the wheels swapped over to a winter set. 19" Rial Lugano wheels with Blizzak tires. Definitely don't like them as much as the stock 21's but I also don't care if they get beat up. Got these from another member here for a great price! It's probably a little too early for the swap, but the 21's are on their way to powdercoat today. I'm going to shoot for a black chrome if they can pull it off, otherwise I'll do a shiny black powder... maybe even with some metal flake in it. Anyway pics... keep in mind I had the height maxed out for jacking up the car.

IMG_1562.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg

Few things done this morning. Dropped off the wheels for powder. SUPER excited to get them done. I'm going to go with a glossy pearl black powder coat. Should look AWESOME with the pearl white. Also did a full interior detail including cleaning and conditioning the leather. SUPER impressed with the Wolfgang products. I use them for my polish and wax, and their interior stuff is pretty amazing too. Little spendy, but amazing none-the-less. Took out some of the dirtiness from the previous owner and makes them feel smooth and supple again. Oh and also installed a screen protector for the main screen. Lined up perfectly and filled the entire area. Very pleased with that purchase too!

IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1569.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1571.jpg
IMG_1572.jpg

Got my spoiler installed. Yes it was the cheap amazon version (I have no interest in paying $1500 for Tesla's) and I must say, not terrible quality. I did have the gaps as others have mentioned, but fixed those up with some weight on each side overnight. Now adhering perfectly. I also put some extra double sided tape on a few of the areas just to help with the adhesion. Anyway, some pics below...

IMG_1573.jpg
IMG_1575.jpg
IMG_1576.jpg
IMG_1577.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg

Finally got the blackout mostly done. Some parts in carbon fiber wrap, others in satin black. I'm leaving some parts until after I have the new bumper which should be here Monday! Tomorrow is strip down day to get the front and rear bumpers, and side skirts removed ready for paint. Super excited. Also got my ceramic tint in - 35% all the way around. I LOVE my guy... hooked me up with all 5 windows for $200. Can't complain about that. And the blackout was only $250. Still got a long road ahead, but it's starting to come together!

IMG_1579.jpg
IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1581.jpg
IMG_1582.jpg
IMG_1584.jpg

Reactions: rjhoskins
Got a little more done today. Front, side skirts, and rear bumper stripped for paint... well the front is stripped for the new bumper cover from unplugged! Going to test fit and then take down to paint... hopefully tomorrow depending on what time I get the front bumper. A few points that are worth mentioning...
  1. Front came apart SUPER easy. Took me all of 30 minutes to pull apart.
  2. Side skirts were probably the hardest part. Unlike the youtube video that shows how to do it, the inner door wells were not in 2 pieces, but just 1 long piece. Must be something on earlier model S's (mine is a 2013.5).
  3. Also, easier to just pull the chrome pieces away and remove the screws on the side skirts than try to pull them entirely off. It will break them, guaranteed
  4. The pop rivets underneith the skirts are impossible to remove IMO. Just break them with a screw driver and replace. Not worth trying to salvage due to the amount of time that would take.
  5. Rear bumper wasn't too bad, but not as easy as the front. Youtube video showed exactly how to do it, but still took about an hour or so to pull.
Anyway, pics!

IMG_1586.jpg
IMG_1587.jpg
IMG_1593.jpg
IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg
IMG_1597.jpg

Reactions: ebrown7b