Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Plaid and my car says I have to put the little car or the credit card key on the upsloping part of the console for it to start.
The fob has no buttons for opening doors like most other cars.
On mine, I'd only need to place the key on the console if the battery in the key was dead. Normally the car should go just fine as long as the key is anywhere inside the car for the most part.
The fob doesn't look like it has buttons but it should be able to click more or less on the roof, the windshield and the back window of the car shaped fob for buttons...

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
IMG_1508[1].JPGIMG_1509[1].JPG
Your fob battery is definitely dead and you can get these rubber protectors from Tesla cheap that allow you to attach the fob to your key ring

Pair your phone to the car via Bluetooth and you don’t need to carry a FOB or the card and the car will always be “ON” when you are near it. I still keep a card in my wallet just in case something messes up and the car asks to put it on the console for the handshake. Mine never asks this, but about a year ago a ton of folks got stranded when something happened with the Tesla servers affecting the app and they didn’t have a card/FOB on their person. Or something like that…can’t recall.

Pair your phone to the car via Bluetooth and you don’t need to carry a FOB or the card and the car will always be “ON” when you are near it. I still keep a card in my wallet just in case something messes up and the car asks to put it on the console for the handshake. Mine never asks this, but about a year ago a ton of folks got stranded when something happened with the Tesla servers affecting the app and they didn’t have a card/FOB on their person. Or something like that…can’t recall.
Ok I'll do that.
I scheduled the gearbox fluid change.
Tesla has a Service Center in Rochester that is 60 miles away from Buffalo NY.
I also ordered some floor and trunk matts and the little car fob holder.
I'm going to get a new battery as mine is dead.
So will the little car open and close the door locks when I press on it?
Also what is this ?
Looks like air freshener.

Ok I'll do that.
I scheduled the gearbox fluid change.
Tesla has a Service Center in Rochester that is 60 miles away from Buffalo NY.
I also ordered some floor and trunk matts and the little car fob holder.
I'm going to get a new battery as mine is dead.
So will the little car open and close the door locks when I press on it?
Also what is this ?
Looks like air freshener.

Again, the manual would answer all theses questions. Yes a simple battery in your fob will auto open doors.

The manual is on the screen or on the web to download. Not sure I ever seen a newer Tesla with a manual?
Ok
The manual in the glovebox was the Safety Information manual.
Sometimes it's quicker just to ask questions 🤔
I ordered some batteries for the fob on Amazon since they weren't available at the pharmacy or hardware store.
They'll be here tomorrow.
I'll read the manual later today.
Thanks for all your help guys.

Ok
The manual in the glovebox was the Safety Information manual.
Sometimes it's quicker just to ask questions 🤔
I ordered some batteries for the fob on Amazon since they weren't available at the pharmacy or hardware store.
They'll be here tomorrow.
I'll read the manual later today.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Congrats on a Great car and choice. Love ours.

So I got my 2021 Model S Plaid with 16k miles from Carmax on Tuesday.
With my 2014 Jeep SRT Trade in and an extended 75k warranty it was 76k

What was your trade in valued at? I am seeing 2022 Plaids for under $80K, so $76K for a 2021 Plaid, with a trade in that could be worth around $30K, seems way high.

Here's an example:

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
What was your trade in valued at? I am seeing 2022 Plaids for under $80K, so $76K for a 2021 Plaid, with a trade in that could be worth around $30K, seems way high.

Here's an example:
My trade in was 24k.
The Plaid was 91k. with 16k miles.
The thing is I went with Carmax because they brought it in on a carrier for me right to Buffalo.
The Plaid is a specialty car not commonly available on used car lots.
I also wanted a black interior and not white color.
I used them to buy the Jeep SRT in 2016.
They brought that in on a carrier as well.
The only ones I saw for under 80k had 40k+ miles on them.
The next closest one was in Pennsylvania for 86k with 13k miles.
I don't have time to travel 2-300 miles and money is not an issue for me.
My company is set to do 50+ million in revenues this year with an 8 million dollar profit.
I also have personally 3 million in the bank and a 400k income plus my company owes me another 400k tax free.
I just wrote a check.
Buying this car through Carmax was very convenient for me and trading in my SRT was completely painless.
It was worth up to 40k retail but I was ok with 24k wholesale.
With the degrees of seperation I don't have to worry about a buyer blowing it up being a highly modified supercharged 426 Hemi with 10 psi boost.

My trade in was 24k.
The Plaid was 91k. with 15k miles.
The thing is I went with Carmax because they brought it in on a carrier for me right to Buffalo.
The Plaid is a specialty car not commonly available on used car lots.
I also wanted a black interior and not white color.
I used them to buy the Jeep SRT in 2016.
They brought that in on a carrier as well.
The only ones I saw for under 80k had 40k+ miles on them.
The next closest one was in Pennsylvania for 86k with 13k miles.
I don't have time to travel 2-300 miles and money is not an issue for me.
My company is set to do 50+ million in revenues this year with an 8 million dollar profit.
I also have personally 3 million in the bank and a 400k income plus my company owes me another 400k tax free.
Buying this car through Carmax was very convenient for me and trading in my SRT was completely painless.
It was worth up to 40k retail but I was ok with 24k wholesale.

Should have bought a new one. You missed some nice upgrades since 2021.