Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY with 20 inch Induction wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered MY with 20 inch induction wheels (uses 255 40 20 tires) as I feel they give the best look without compromising any efficiency. The only downside which worries me is whether the low profile tire which it uses would have issues with pot holes. The sidewalls on tires used on 19 inch Gemini wheel ( tire is 255 45 19) is 114.75mm compared to one on 20 inch induction wheels which is 102mm. For reference M3 tire (18 inch wheel ) is 105.75mm ( tire size 235 45 18).

The performance version of MY tires are at 89.25mm for fronts and 96.25mm for back.(tires are 255 35 21 and 275 35 21).

Does anyone have any experience with 20 inch induction wheels, if so would appreciate your feedback.

They’re great. Good balance as you say, and no real sidewall drama IMO. Roads here in Central Texas are not the best, and they have been great. Suspension is more of the issue. Very firm.

You will take a slight range hit with the 20s. But still at 305-307 on a full charge. AC, etc is the bigger issue, given all the glass.

Good luck!

ß

I had a similar question as you OP, and did the math as well. You’re looking at slightly less than a half inch between the 19” and the 20” sidewalls. I would have gone with the 19”s if they had given me at least 1” more sidewall. The 20”s look too nice. I will find out Friday.

I have the 20s and found the ride to be much rougher than my previous car ( Range Rover). Not sure if the 19's would've been significantly better, but im still trying to get used the massive shake every time I hit a bump in the road. I live in Toronto where the roads aren't great at all.
I'm considering trying out a car with 19s to see if there is a big difference. If yes, I might try to sell the inductions and switch to something more comfortable.

But damn, the inductions wheels look amazing... Totally changes the look of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I think you may be right, though. The suspension just seems to be very firm. Hopefully it's the kind of thing you just get used to, because right now, I feel pretty shaken up driving around the city roads.
What tire pressure are you at, cold? That makes a difference as well. You can go a little lower than recommended, take a little range hit, but improve the comfort as well. Just don't go too low, as then you can deal with damage if the roads are really poor.

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: Kelr316
What tire pressure are you at, cold? That makes a difference as well. You can go a little lower than recommended, take a little range hit, but improve the comfort as well. Just don't go too low, as then you can deal with damage if the roads are really poor.

Good luck!

Actually just did this today. brought the tires down to 38PSI , recommend psi is 40 ( they had 43 on delivery) will let you know how it feels.

Reactions: empiredown