Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR 2023 - 85 miles on it - already showing degradation??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theocguy

M3RWD - MSM/BLK/OD:03/22/Picked up 10/31/2022
Feb 11, 2022
Southern CA
As the miles reading for the 100% fully charged is based on the rated miles, I wonder why my new MYLR shows 329 miles if I charge it to 100%?

Picked up brand new on 12/3. Charged it once at home using the wall charger from 45% to 60% ( to test the charging capability).

The car only has 85 miles on it as my wife only drives it locally to/from school pick up.

How come to reading is incorrect at the early stage?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
relax - the battery system just gives an estimated range, which can float around if it's not seen the battery move thru much range-of-charge lately.

Tesla makes the best packs on the planet. Put the range-display on "percent of charge" instead of guesstimated-miles-remaining and treat it like an iPhone. Plug it in when it gets low. Enjoy the vehicle. It's glorious.

The TL ; DR version is " The number on the screen is an estimate from the Battery Management System, and since electricity storage is not something that can be measured as easily as water or flour, that number will drift."

For anything longer than that, there are probably 150+ threads on this topic. You can start with looking for posts from @AAKEE in this 250+ page thread on the topic of battery degradation:

As the miles reading for the 100% fully charged is based on the rated miles, I wonder why my new MYLR shows 329 miles if I charge it to 100%?

Picked up brand new on 12/3. Charged it once at home using the wall charger from 45% to 60% ( to test the charging capability).

The car only has 85 miles on it as my wife only drives it locally to/from school pick up.

How come to reading is incorrect at the early stage?
The displayed range is just an estimate. The estimated range will vary with temperature. If you strictly drive at no more than 45 MPH and don't use climate control you might be able to achieve the Tesla Long Range Model Y EPA estimate for combined city/highway driving (in mild temperatures) but for everyone else your results will be lower. How much lower depends on the speed you drive on the highway, other factors such as carrying a bicycle rack, roof rack with luggage carrier or towing a trailer. In all probability you will be able to drive between 200 and 240 miles before needing to stop to charge. Plug in most days and you will never suffer from range anxiety.

Tap the battery icon on the Tesla screen to change the readout from estimated range to battery state of charge (SOC) and never look back.

switch the display to percentage and treat it like a fuel guage in any other car. eventually youll learn how far the car will go at different speeds and range anxiety will go away..

learn to drive efficiently, easy on the go pedal, zero out the demand/regen bar display, exploit hills for zero demand/regen.