Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR in a public parking lot for a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new Tesla owner.

I have a 70 mile drive to a public parking lot where the 2023 MYLR will sit for at least a month and up to 6 weeks unplugged.

Here's my current thoughts:
* Charge to 100 before leaving home
* Turn off sentry mode when in lot
* Don't use overheat protection in lot

There is a supercharger 10 miles away from lot.

There is free public charging but I'd have to buy the mobile charger and I don't want to be that guy hogging it for so long.

Are my thoughts valid or do I leave things on and let the car get to 20% and just go to the supercharger when I'm back?

overheat protection will only run for 12h after you park. You can turn it off but it's not going to be that significant over that period. As long as you let the car sleep, you will have absolutely no problem. You should return to your car having lost just a few percent over that period. To make sure the car sleeps:
- turn off sentry and anything else keeping it alive (smart summon...)
- do NOT open the mobile app on any device to check on it. Opening the mobile app wakes the car.

I suggest that you leave your new Tesla Model Y at home or at your work place (if secure).

Charge to 90%+; 100% if you prefer, if driving 70 miles to the public parking location.
Park with Sentry mode turned off (also Smart Summon turned off if you have purchased Full Self Driving.)
Note: Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) is only active for the first 12 hours; set COP to the Fan Only setting or turn off if you prefer.

The most important advice is don't regularly open the Tesla app while you are away as this causes the Tesla Model Y to wake from Sleep mode, wastes power while in Standby mode until the Tesla Model Y returns to Sleep mode (after ~30 minutes) Do not wake up the Tesla Model Y several times each day by opening the Tesla app.

Your battery will lose ~1% charge over 7 days; You should have still have plenty of battery charge remaining after 45 days when you return to drive to the nearby Supercharger.

Example: Charge to 90%; drive 70 miles (consuming an estimated ~30%); Park with 60% state of charge (SOC) with Sentry mode, Smart Summon turned off. Leave vehicle parked, unplugged for 6 weeks and don't open the Tesla app at all while you are away, until just before you return. The battery will lose ~6% of the SOC over this time. Even if the battery loses 10% SOC after 6 weeks the battery will still have ~50% SOC when you return.

Last edited:
Brand new Tesla owner.

I have a 70 mile drive to a public parking lot where the 2023 MYLR will sit for at least a month and up to 6 weeks unplugged.

Here's my current thoughts:
* Charge to 100 before leaving home
* Turn off sentry mode when in lot
* Don't use overheat protection in lot

There is a supercharger 10 miles away from lot.

There is free public charging but I'd have to buy the mobile charger and I don't want to be that guy hogging it for so long.

Are my thoughts valid or do I leave things on and let the car get to 20% and just go to the supercharger when I'm back?

Here is one of the threads I remember about people parking their vehicles for an extended length of time. There are more than a couple of these, but they have the same theme. If you turn off everything, and dont check the car repeatedly in the tesla app, you should be ok.

That's going to be a stretch.
You absolutely have to make sure that Sentry is off.
Cabin overheat is off.
NEVER check the car with the app.

Look around for locations that have at least a 120V plug that you can use. There are more than many people think.

But the bigger question is getting back home another 70 miles. Down and back is 50% of the battery and I'd highly suggest travelling slowly, maybe under 50 mph.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pianewman
Here is one of the threads I remember about people parking their vehicles for an extended length of time. There are more than a couple of these, but they have the same theme. If you turn off everything, and dont check the car repeatedly in the tesla app, you should be ok.

thanks - my poor search skills didn't find that post.

I suggest that you leave your new Tesla Model Y at home or at your work place (if secure).

Charge to 90%+; 100% if you prefer, if driving 70 miles to the public parking location.
Park with Sentry mode turned off (also Smart Summon turned off if you have purchased Full Self Driving.)
Note: Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) is only active for the first 12 hours; set COP to the Fan Only setting or turn off if you prefer.

The most important advice is don't regularly open the Tesla app while you are away as this causes the Tesla Model Y to wake from Sleep mode, wastes power while in Standby mode until the Tesla Model Y returns to Sleep mode (after ~30 minutes) Do not wake up the Tesla Model Y several times each day by opening the Tesla app.

Your battery will lose ~1% charge over 7 days; You should have still have plenty of battery charge remaining after 45 days when you return to drive to the nearby Supercharger.

Example: Charge to 90%; drive 70 miles (consuming an estimated ~30%); Park with 60% state of charge (SOC) with Sentry mode, Smart Summon turned off. Leave vehicle parked, unplugged for 6 weeks and don't open the Tesla app at all while you are away, until just before you return. The battery will lose ~6% of the SOC over this time. Even if the battery loses 10% SOC after 6 weeks the battery will still have ~50% SOC when you return.
thanks for the insight - leaving the car at home isn't an option as it's my only way to get to the ferry's parking lot (and I don't want to bring the car on the boat because it's difficult/expensive to bring it on/off the island repeatedly).

I'm OK with all the scenario, but my spouse has major range anxiety so I'm trying to assuage her feelings with what you all say.

That's going to be a stretch.
You absolutely have to make sure that Sentry is off.
Cabin overheat is off.
NEVER check the car with the app.

Look around for locations that have at least a 120V plug that you can use. There are more than many people think.

But the bigger question is getting back home another 70 miles. Down and back is 50% of the battery and I'd highly suggest travelling slowly, maybe under 50 mph.
If I got too low, there is public charging in the lot, so I can always just charge there (L1 I believe) to get me enough juice to make it to the supercharger 9-10 miles away.