Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR differences between Austin and Fremont builds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a club member here in Idaho receive a VIN from Austin for a MYLR. My EDD is the exact same as hers although I haven't been vinned yet. I was wondering if anyone knew definitively about the differences between the two factories? I was kind of hoping for a Fremont build now that they say they are adding matrix headlights for the near future due to supply issues. All I really heard was that Austin builds had the privacy screen and magnetic console. Are both factories now providing the new interior door wrap design? Are matrix headlights in Austin as well as Fremont? Any other differences? How about the castings? Is it structural in Austin even though the MYLR is using 2170's? Sorry for the rambling. I thought for sure my build would come from Fremont. But my friend, who lives in the same city just got one from Austin. Thanks for your help :)

Reactions: ord3r
So far no reports that I've seen of new trim or matrix lights out of Austin. My bet is new trim will happen soon but matrix lights may never come from Austin as it is supposedly a temporary change till supply is better for the non-matrix lights. Hopefully Tesla makes Matrix standard on MYLR as they do M3LR (and MYLR in most other countries) but so far it is being reported as temporary change.

Looks like the I will be getting Fremont MY. I am still not sure what are differences between Austin build Vs Fremont. Initially I was assigned a VIM for Austin build, but with the 2nd attempt I am assigned a Fremont one..! Not sure if that is good or bad!

Looks like the I will be getting Fremont MY. I am still not sure what are differences between Austin build Vs Fremont. Initially I was assigned a VIM for Austin build, but with the 2nd attempt I am assigned a Fremont one..! Not sure if that is good or bad!
Probably good. Mine was an Austin build...No matrix lights, no new door refresh. Did have cargo cover however. Fremont I believe is still delivering both those omissions.

w
So far no reports that I've seen of new trim or matrix lights out of Austin. My bet is new trim will happen soon but matrix lights may never come from Austin as it is supposedly a temporary change till supply is better for the non-matrix lights. Hopefully Tesla makes Matrix standard on MYLR as they do M3LR (and MYLR in most other countries) but so far it is being reported as temporary change.
what new trim??

Revised door cards, the door panel trim is different. I’m pretty sure that both Austin and Fremont cars have this as I’ve personally looked at recent production cars from both factories that do.
Yes that is what I was referring to. That post was from August. Yes all cars have the new door trim now no matter the factory.

Seems both factories are pretty even now although Fremont still seems to sneak in a few MYLR with Matrix and not sure if any have been seen out of Austin with Matrix??

Still not sure if Austin is doing white interior or 7 seaters and I don't think MYP.

Yes that is what I was referring to. That post was from August. Yes all cars have the new door trim now no matter the factory.

Seems both factories are pretty even now although Fremont still seems to sneak in a few MYLR with Matrix and not sure if any have been seen out of Austin with Matrix??

Still not sure if Austin is doing white interior or 7 seaters and I don't think MYP.
Austin isn't doing 7 seaters, white interiors or performance cars.

The recent Fremont deliveries of LR cars with matrix lights all seem to be 7 seaters but maybe some of the delayed white interior builds are also getting them.