Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR one tyre replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a large bolt puncture the rear passenger tyre, this has been replaced by vwfs as it's a maintained car today. On our previous m3LR(different lease company) when this happened they replaced both rear tyres. So now one new tyre is 8mm and the old tyre is 5/6mm across the rear. They are the same brand and model. Is there any official guidance from Tesla that both tyres should be replaced at the same time. Any one successfully argued this. Thanks

If tires need to be replaced early, for example due to a flat tire, we recommend replacing the tires in pairs unless the other tires are within 2/32 in (1.5 mm) of tread depth of the new tire. When replacing tires, it is important to match the brand and model of the older tires.

Personally I'd not be super worried at 8mm and 5.5mm, but once they wear down to 3mm and 5.5mm or 2mm and 4.5mm - that's when it's going to cause problems. And of course, you can't really go back to them 2 years later

Last edited:
We had a large bolt puncture the rear passenger tyre, this has been replaced by vwfs as it's a maintained car today. On our previous m3LR(different lease company) when this happened they replaced both rear tyres. So now one new tyre is 8mm and the old tyre is 5/6mm across the rear. They are the same brand and model. Is there any official guidance from Tesla that both tyres should be replaced at the same time. Any one successfully argued this. Thanks

Logically since you want to minimise the difference across axles and assuming the fronts wear more slowly than the rears ( which they always do on LR models) what you should do is swap the old rear tyre with the front one on the same side that way in instead of having 3 mm difference across the rear axle you will probably have 1.5mm across the rear and 1.5mm across the front there by staying within Tesla's guidance. Simples.

Just out of interest what would you do if you were the one paying for the tyres?.......... 🤔

Reactions: Burley and Adopado
I guess I am paying a monthly lease fee which includes tyres, so I am paying for it and probably paying handsomely for it. So I'd want to get my money's worth, if the manufacturer says it's needed then it should be done, as they are only potentially damaging their own vehicle and making it slightly less safe for me and my family.

Reactions: Wattsisname