Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR Steering Rack Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYLR is 6 weeks old and less than 2k miles on the clock.
A few days ago got the Steering Assist Reduced error. Called for assistance and they came to pick it up it's now in the Belfast SC.
They are replacing the steering rack. Has anyone experienced this and if so, how quick was the repair completed?
Latest update from them is they are waiting on ETA from distribution centre.

Latest update from them is they are waiting on ETA from distribution centre.
I would expect the job to be completed efficiently by the service centre, in my experience them getting the parts if the biggest problem especially within the first year of a model coming out. Took them 6 months+ to get me a bumper years ago for the 3 and more recently took several months to get a specific part for the Y.

If its a part that is commonly stocked you may be lucky and get it much sooner!

any symptom before it failed? I'm a bit worring about my steering as it feels a bit laboured and not very smooth - a ranger said to bring it to the SC but not to worry too much (guess what, that's not a way to transmit confidence)

I would expect the job to be completed efficiently by the service centre, in my experience them getting the parts if the biggest problem especially within the first year of a model coming out. Took them 6 months+ to get me a bumper years ago for the 3 and more recently took several months to get a specific part for the Y.

If its a part that is commonly stocked you may be lucky and get it much sooner!
Yeah it's the parts supply i'm most concerned about tbh. They gave me a Model 3 as a loaner, but even still if i end up paying MYLR lease prices to drive a three year old Model 3 around for any more than a week or two i''ll not be happy.

any symptom before it failed? I'm a bit worring about my steering as it feels a bit laboured and not very smooth - a ranger said to bring it to the SC but not to worry too much (guess what, that's not a way to transmit confidence)
No symptoms at all. Could just be one of those things. It can happen any car i guess, but this is my 3rd new car in 8-9 years and the first time i've ever had to take a car in for anything other than regular service/tyres etc.

Yeah it's the parts supply i'm most concerned about tbh. They gave me a Model 3 as a loaner, but even still if i end up paying MYLR lease prices to drive a three year old Model 3 around for any more than a week or two i''ll not be happy.
Basically if the services centres can't give you an ETA from the start then usually they just have to wait until it turns up, which seems to be a communications issue, I think some people had long waits for the Model 3 steering racks I suspect it will be similar.

Basically if the services centres can't give you an ETA from the start then usually they just have to wait until it turns up, which seems to be a communications issue, I think some people had long waits for the Model 3 steering racks I suspect it will be similar.
Yeah that's what i'm thinking. It's either in stock and available in a distro centre ready to ship, or it's not. Currently I have no ETA.

I had my steering wheel on my MR3LR replaced last month. Took them a couple of weeks to source the part, it was then fitted in a day. The car was drivable in the meantime, so no problem waiting. The parts were £1,600 or so plus labour of 4 hours (replaced under warranty).

Reactions: Exy1
I went to leave the house on Saturday, and the steering was locked. It turns about 3 degrees either way with all of my strength..... Like any other car, I suspect it would be much easier to turn while moving; however, I can't turn the wheel enough to get out of my garage. Fun!!! - The display shows "Steering assist reduced" LMAO!....
IMG_3413.jpg

I went to leave the house on Saturday, and the steering was locked. It turns about 3 degrees either way with all of my strength..... Like any other car, I suspect it would be much easier to turn while moving; however, I can't turn the wheel enough to get out of my garage. Fun!!! - The display shows "Steering assist reduced" LMAO!....
View attachment 909349
Try a reboot and a sleep for a few hours (the car). Meantime report for service… someone will come out to you.

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
Serious fault with a 6 week old car, and given a 3 year old 3 loaner. Yep, that’s what Tesla thinks of its customers.
Not even the same type of car either, so in all probability can’t be used for the same tasks that might have necessitated buying the Y to begin with.

That said I don’t really know what they’re obliged to do vs what they ought to do.

...Happened to my partner last night on the interstate .. steering just locked up and nearly crashed into the Jersy wall. Flat-bed to Tesla last night. This morning they confirmed they would replace the entire steering rack. A very serious problem and it looks like it is not uncommon: