Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP 288mi Max Range [Incorrect or misunderstanding]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine took delivery of his MYP on 9/14 and noticed his max range was 288mi. I told him mine goes up to 301mi and that he should make an inquiry. Turns out his MYP is fitted with the new battery packs which are being pushed in the M3 SR+, thus he has a lower max range. That's very surprising when you've ordered a specific vehicle and something else was delivered.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 8.59.14 AM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 8.59.14 AM.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Disagree
Reactions: jebinc
A friend of mine took delivery of his MYP on 9/14 and noticed his max range was 288mi. I told him mine goes up to 301mi and that he should make an inquiry. Turns out his MYP is fitted with the new battery packs which are being pushed in the M3 SR+, thus he has a lower max range. That's very surprising when you've ordered a specific vehicle and something else was delivered.
Doubtful. The battery capacity of the 2021 Performance Model Y has been well documented at 82kWh. What is your source besides a guy who knows a guy?

No, it was not delivered with the battery packs that are going into the SR+, those are LFE, and you cant put enough of them in there for a performance vehicle. Its possible they have the 77kw battery vs the 82kw battery but that is NOT the LFE one.

I attached an image. Its a close friend, not heard thru the grapevines and he confirmed with Tesla.

Again, NO ,its NOT the LFE battery that is going in the SR+, that simply isnt possible from a technological standpoint. It is likely the "older" 77kw battery for performance, vs the newer 82kw battery for performance.

Different battery than 2021, but the same every tesla model 3 performance 2020 and older had.

How can you check which battery pack it is?

Because there is no version of the LFE battery currently in a tesla that would provide 288 miles range. Those batteries dont even provide the same range as the "old" batteries in an SR+. they provide less energy for same space, so its not possible for that to be the LFE battery. This is absolutely a case of "telephone game", going on here.

Tesla told your friend that he has a different battery than the 2021, and either your friend or you made an (incorrect) assumption that "oh that must be the battery in the SR+". Its understandable to be confused about that but its another thing altogether to come to a forum and state "My friend the battery in his Model Y P thats the same as the new SR+"

Again, NO ,its NOT the LFE battery that is going in the SR+, that simply isnt possible from a technological standpoint. It is likely the "older" 77kw battery for performance, vs the newer 82kw battery for performance.

Different battery than 2021, but the same every tesla model 3 performance 2020 and older had.
That's what they told him. If what you're saying is true, thats almost worse!

If Tesla changed battery packs in the Performance Model Y then they would likely update the EPA combine City/Highway range estimate. The Tesla web site still shows 303 miles for the Performance Model Y and 326 miles for the Long Range Model Y.

That's what they told him. If what you're saying is true, thats almost worse!
Even though tesla sales agents have some ineptitude, there is virtually no chance they said " your car has the same battery as the SR"" which is what you are saying. If you want to say "different" battery, thats fine, but you should stop saying "same as SR+" cause it isnt that.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Even though tesla sales agents have some ineptitude, there is virtually no chance they said " your car has the same battery as the SR"" which is what you are saying. If you want to say "different" battery, thats fine, but you should stop saying "same as SR+" cause it isnt that.

I think you are under estimating the ineptitude of the SA's :) My SA was pretty bad, and my DA was even worse... had to go to that dumb Q@#$'s supervisor in order to get my car.

Keith

I agree, but look at the photo I attached in my first post. How can anyone explain why its 288 vs 300+?

Pretty easy, the BMS calibration is screwed up.

Charge the car to 90%, let it sit over night with cabin over heat off, sentry mode off, anything that would prevent deep sleep off. Drive it the next day and charge to 80%, then do the same and charge to 70%, then 60%, then 50%. After a week or two of doing this (letting the car deep sleep at different SOC levels) have him report back what his max range is.

Keith

I think you are under estimating the ineptitude of the SA's :) My SA was pretty bad, and my DA was even worse... had to go to that dumb Q@#$'s supervisor in order to get my car.

Keith

I hate lumping any group of people together and applying subjective feelings to them, but with that being said, tesla salespeople are not much different than any other car salespeople. In general, people selling cars know less than the people buying said car, and thats still the case.

I am still holding out hope that this is telephone game, and they told this OPs friend that "you have a different battery" and the OPs friend assumed "different" ment LFE. I dont think the LFE batteries put out enough power in that form factor to be used in a performance model Y or 3.

If tesla actually is putting LFE batteries in the perfomance variants that would be huge news (but I dont think this is true). I said what I think this is, that they are using the 77kW batteries in some cars vs the 82kW batteries, but in most of these reported cases they have told the people (and offered a discount).

There is something missing in this story, but since its "OPs friend" and not OP themselves, its also possible the OPs friend glossed over the fact that they got a discount for buying that version of the model YP.

Tesla being tesla, its also possible that they didnt.

None of us were there for the discussion, so we dont know what was said, but I feel comfortable saying that there is no way that is actually a LFE battery in that car no matter what the OPs friend was told. It is the same battery that was in the 2020 Model Y perforamance.

Reactions: Rocky_H and DanDi58
"OPs friend" is a very reliable source, whatever thats worth. They specifically told him its a "new" battery being used. They also mentioned that he can charge his battery to 100% daily rather than charging to daily drive limits, which is in line with how LFE batteries work (as reported on the M3SR+ (Ha! I said it again). Thus, being that he has a slightly lower range and based on the conversation he had I believe its safe to assume they used an LFE. If not, and its the older battery, thats complete BS and I cant imagine why they would do that on a new delivery.

• Disagree
This is FUD and OP is posting it in multiple threads! With the model 3 SR+, Tesla sent out letters to all customers, and it was widely and transparently reported on. ZERO evidence on this claim; just “I heard it from a friend….”

@TripleA I would suggest you stop spreading this FUD, unless you have tangible evidence that this is happening.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Status
Not open for further replies.