Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP on Gemini's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

In the process of doing a 100% charge before getting the new results on the Dragy after changing from the stock 21" Uberturbine wheels (64 lbs each in the front, 68 lbs each in the rear) to the Gemini 19" wheels and stock all season tires (56 lbs each, front and back). So, I lost 16 lbs of rotating mass from the front axle and 24 lbs of rotating mass from the rear axle. I will post up results when I have them :)

Keith

Here are my previous results when I was running on the 21" Uberturbine wheels. Full thread here: MYP SOC% vs performance with Dragy!

Sport Mode:

0-60 3.83 sec -0.75% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 3.58 sec -0.75% slope
1/8th mile 7.75 sec at 93.35 mph -0.12% slope
1/4 mile 12.01 sec at 114.18 mph -0.12% slope

Chill Mode:

0-60 7.62 sec -0.27% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 7.34 sec -0.27% slope
1/8th mile 10.31 sec at 72.65 mph 0.27% slope
1/4 mile 15.70 sec at 91.40 mph 0.27% slope

Here are my new results at 100% SOC on the Gemini wheels.

0-60 3.73 sec 1.15% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 3.49 sec 1.15% slope
1/8th mile 7.69 sec at 93.47 mph 0.22% slope
1/4 mile 11.94 sec at 114.54 mph 0.22% slope

Chill Mode:

0-60 7.45 sec 0.09% slope
0-60 with 1' rollout 7.14 sec 0.09% slope
1/8th mile 10.19 sec at 73.42 mph 0.12% slope
1/4 mile 15.51 sec at 92.67 mph 0.12% slope

Looks like the lighter wheel and tire package helped in chill mode as well! In the other thread you can see that SOC had zero effect on Chill mode and significant effect on Sport mode... but lighter rolling stock improved both!

Later,

Keith

Thanks for posting. Any reason you couldn’t run the same route so you could keep the slope the same?
Looks like with a 1% slope increase, you shaved 1/10th.

I thought about switching to a performance and swapping the ubers for Gemini wheels. The lowered suspension is still a deterrent.

Thanks for posting. Any reason you couldn’t run the same route so you could keep the slope the same?
Looks like with a 1% slope increase, you shaved 1/10th.

I thought about switching to a performance and swapping the ubers for Gemini wheels. The lowered suspension is still a deterrent.

I do the same section of road each time for the "sport" runs, the slope is very small, and a +/- 1% deviation between runs seems like a very small deviation in the measurment. I just include it because it is there :)

Keith

What do you think of the ride and the handling with the 19" Gemini wheels versus the 21" Uberturbine wheels, summer sport tires. Are the tires on the 19" wheels the OE Continental Procontact RX all season tires?
These are on the stock tires. Ride is a bit better than the Uberturbine wheel and tire package. I doubt you would see any handling difference unless you take it to an autocross or road course... I don't see any handling difference in normal road driving.

Keith

These are on the stock tires. Ride is a bit better than the Uberturbine wheel and tire package. I doubt you would see any handling difference unless you take it to an autocross or road course... I don't see any handling difference in normal road driving.

Keith
If you decide you like 19" Geminis and decide to keep them I suggest 44 PSI cold tire pressure with the Continental Procontact RX tires for a better more cushioned ride than 42 PSI.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Tesla Parts Catalog. Parts Catalog
Yeah, basically the parts team and marketing team don’t always coordinate, nor do they seem to care about the discrepancy. The reality is that the marketing team has more power over owners, so most just call them Gemini’s.

Pictures of both kinds of “Gemini” wheels and screen captures from the EPC are in this thread:

But this is off topic for this thread…