Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYSR is now $4k lower than MYLR. Which one to choose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early delivery options (Seattle) show white MY for $50,990. Car details show 279mi range. Long range in white is currently $54,990.
Can you help me to understand pros and cons of the standard range? Is it worth paying 4k more for long range?
Thank you.

Depends on your driving needs. Both cars have access to the supercharger network, so if you travel the SR could still be ok albeit maybe with an extra stop or two.
Real world range will almost always be less than stated range due to use of accessories and weather. MY SR uses the 4180 battery which may have some advantages, but probably not real world advantages over the older batteries. You are trading range for a discount. That's really where the rubber meets the road. Are you will to do that to save 4K?
To be fair there are many EVs being sold now with just over 200 miles of range. 279 isn't bad, but it isn't as good as 330 miles of range.

Real EPA range of the AWD standard MY with 4680 is likely 240 ish miles when you consider that its not a good idea to charge it above 90% regularly. Actual range could be considerably less depending on conditions.

With that said I think it depends on your daily driving habits. If your driving 125 miles per day or less I think the standard is fine. If your driving more than that you might want to go with LR instead. When choosing you want to keep the battery between 20% and 90% SOC as much as possible. So if you want to be safe your only using 70% of the battery. LFP batteries can be charge to 100% but the 4680 is not LFP.

If you drive more you could still go with the lower cost model but you would want to stop to charge to keep the battery within that range.

7.27% savings $ for 15.7% lower estimated range. If most of your driving is local and you can charge at home each evening or at work you will probably never miss not having the additional range. On road trips you may have to allocate time for a few more Supercharger charging stops.

I would choose the longer range of the LRMY over the SRMY. In winter efficiency and range will be ~20% less. The battery will lose capacity over time (especially over the first 5 years.)

When shopping EVs I would suggest that if there are three different battery sizes offered to at least choose the
mid-size battery. If only two sizes of battery are offered then always get the larger battery.

Like AWD versus FWD or RWD; 5 seat versus 7 seat, battery capacity is one of those things you can't change after purchasing the vehicle.

Reactions: Eto Demerzel
To me the cost difference is worth it for the extra range which can vary as commented on by some above. Until there are chargers all over like gas stations, in my opinion range is still king. Especially when the cost difference can be amortized over a 72-month loan or similar.

When I was driving 250 miles one way a few times a month I was very happy I had chosen the long-range choice of the time. Now my trips are 15 miles each way, broken by a multi-hour stop where I can charge L2 if desired. Long range would be a waste of money.

OP, consider:
  1. Your long drives and how often you drive them
  2. The Supercharger network where you drive
  3. Your anticipated winter hit to range
  4. How fast you drive
  5. How long you expect to keep the car, and what the extra cost for LR does to your money situation

Early delivery options (Seattle) show white MY for $50,990. Car details show 279mi range. Long range in white is currently $54,990.
Can you help me to understand pros and cons of the standard range? Is it worth paying 4k more for long range?
Thank you.
Get the long range. You will easily lose 20-30 miles range after a few years, unless you don't plan on long trips

Reactions: howardnj
Thank you.
Get the long range. You will easily lose 20-30 miles range after a few years, unless you don't plan on long trips

Thank you all for replies. I don't plan to drive long distances in the next 2 years. When I drive on road trips I tend to stop every 2-3 hours for 30 mins break.

To make the choice even harder I have an order for MYLR from the end of Jan 2023 (EDD Mar 15-30), price $54.5k for grey color. MYSR as of today comes at $52k in grey so the difference in price is "only" $2.5k.
I'm looking for the 3rd car in my household as teenage kid started to use my RX 350 more often. I'm not in a rush to buy a car but at the same time I would not want to miss on 7.5k tax credit.

Thank you all for replies. I don't plan to drive long distances in the next 2 years. When I drive on road trips I tend to stop every 2-3 hours for 30 mins break.

To make the choice even harder I have an order for MYLR from the end of Jan 2023 (EDD Mar 15-30), price $54.5k for grey color. MYSR as of today comes at $52k in grey so the difference in price is "only" $2.5k.
I'm looking for the 3rd car in my household as teenage kid started to use my RX 350 more often. I'm not in a rush to buy a car but at the same time I would not want to miss on 7.5k tax credit.
I would think the difference of $2.5K would make it easier to pick LR versus SR. I hear you on not wanting to take a chance of losing out on the tax credit. I also ordered LR on 01/20 and have a similar EDD 03/13-03/31. The current abundance of SRs is really tempting to make a switch but as others mention - LR is better in a long run....so I am 99.99999% keeping the LR and really hoping that we still get the tax credit when we take delivery.

for 2.5k more its a no brainer for the reasons previously stated. heck if a new software upgrade came out that magically offered 20%+ more range on the lr (330 to 400) for 2.5k i would buy it in a heartbeat lol. there are people that gladly pay up 2k to go .5 sec faster to 60.

I just ordered the MY AWD with 279 miles of range. Delivery between 2/17 and 3/17.

I wonder if the shorter range is a software limitation as Tesla used to do in the past and they eventually will offer the "unlocking" of the additional range.

Reactions: chiefsmy

Attachments

• 5284C14D-2A22-4284-938B-42385A347F4E.png
    5284C14D-2A22-4284-938B-42385A347F4E.png
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 1,129