Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mysterious “P” indicator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this “P” show up a couple times. See attached pic. Goes away by itself. I have seen it on the left and the right side. Any idea?

Attachments

• 96C39F50-9B0F-4EBA-A009-F736DA56CF5F.jpeg
    96C39F50-9B0F-4EBA-A009-F736DA56CF5F.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 113
The car is telling you it can auto park into that spot.

If you happen to be driving by an actual parking spot where you may want to park, you would stop the car, go into reverse, and press P. The car will auto park into that spot.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Ah ok. Funny I was stopped at a traffic light though and not in the right most lane. Beta software indeed. Thanks!
It uses ultrasonics to determine open spots.

When your pulling up to a light, a set of cars next to you driving almost the same speed can show up as a large gap. The ultrasonic sensors are just looking straight out from a single spot.

I must have the unusual exception here. I see the P show up fairly often. My gym parking lot requires you to pull fairly close to the parked cars in order for cars going in the opposite direction to get by. I see the P pop up quite often when there is an open spot between two cars.

It seems like you might have to be a little closer to the parked cars than you would normally think.

AutoPark has worked fairly well for me.

I must have the unusual exception here. I see the P show up fairly often. My gym parking lot requires you to pull fairly close to the parked cars in order for cars going in the opposite direction to get by. I see the P pop up quite often when there is an open spot between two cars.

It seems like you might have to be a little closer to the parked cars than you would normally think.

AutoPark has worked fairly well for me.
I have noticed this too, so you either have to pull too close to the cars in a single pass, making it hard for you to park yourself, and hope you get a P. Or drive like normal and park like normal.

Reactions: brkaus