Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

nail in tire. this is repairable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. Any idea how much they would charge (see the nail below)?View attachment 801043
From my experience (6 nails in the same tire over a 9 month period!!) there are 4 ways to plug a tire in order of quality/durability. The 1st three can be done without removing the wheel/tire from the car: 1) Buy a patch kit and do it yourself. Be sure to ream out the hole with the provided tool per the directions. The plug material is usually a braided fabric ribbon soaked in ‘glue’. 2) Have a shop plug the tire using similar materials and methods as above. 3) Have a shop plug it similar to above but using an actual tapered piece of rubber as the plug and using a bonding agent that will actually vulcanize both the rubber plug and the tire together forming a quality seal. This is what I had done twice. 4) Have a shop take the tire off the wheel, remove the sound deadening foam from inside the tire (this is why most shops want nothing to do with it and would rather sell you a tire), patch the tire from the inside by grinding the inside surface and vulcanizing a round rubber disc to the inside of the tire. The disc has a rubber nipple that goes in the hole where the nail was and protrudes outside the tire which is then snipped off, then reassemble the foam and tire. Very labor intensive. In my case after 2 quality exterior patches I found 4 nails in a cluster in the same tire. That’s when I discarded the tire and had Tesla Mobile Service install a new one in my driveway!

Don't take the Tesla Model Y to Tesla Service with the punctured tire. Try Discount Tires/America's Tires, Goodyear tires, Costco (call ahead to see if they service Tesla vehicles) or a local tire center. There are also some mobile tire service vans that could come to your home or office and repair the puncture.

Plug or else patch from the inside. If the tire has the foam insert sound control treatment the foam must be cut away before applying the patch, then the foam piece can be glued down into place. Not all tire repair shops will deal with a tire that has a foam insert.

Don't pull out the screw, wait for the repair person. Keep adding air to the tire as needed so you can drive short distance or to the tire center.
agreed!! got nail at same spot last week. don't bother to go to tesla for tire repair ( they told me to replace tire )

I can't understand why anyone would pay $85 for such a simple fix. You can buy a Tire Plug Kit for around $7 and it comes with enough materials for about 8 plugs, depending on which pack you buy. If you can reach the nail without removing the tire, the whole job will take 2-3 minutes.