Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but it was a screen grab from a video because I didn't know where the nail actually was... but I feel like this should be patchable right?
1710972274992.png

It's on the front passenger tire so the nail is on the inside portion. Tesla told me that this was not repairable and the tire needed to be replaced which really sucks since the car isn't even a year old yet. If I have to replace the tire then I'm probably just going to accelerate my plan of getting a new wheel setup.

Reactions: Discount Tire
Ahh, thanks. Plugs aren't considered a permanent fix though right? Would still eventually need to get a replacement tire? I'm only at 7.7k miles so there's so much life left in all these tires :( It's a super slow leak, I only reinflate like once a month.
If you do it right it should hold air. Got to ream then goop the hole before inserting the plug. I plugged nearly the same area 6 weeks ago and it hasn't leaked. As I see it, right now I'm getting free miles out of the tire.

Ask Discount Tire.
Discount tire won't touch that one.

If you do it right it should hold air. Got to ream then goop the hole before inserting the plug. I plugged nearly the same area 6 weeks ago and it hasn't leaked. Right now I'm getting free miles out of the tire.

Discount tire won't touch that one.
Hmm. I don't have the tools to do a plug so I'd have to go to a shop. I was planning to go to Discount Tire since I was planning to get a certificate if I ended up having to buy a tire. I guess I can check out one of the indy tire shops near me and see if they'll fix it for me. I'm mostly worried that the plug is done poorly, and it ends up leaking faster than it does now. My tire is basically holding air for 2 weeks without any drop in pressure, and I only lose like 4 psi across a month.

You don't need tools other than what's included with the plug kit that was pictured above. They're cheap and easy to use. Just pull the vehicle forward so you can get good access to where the screw is, pull the thing out with pliers or a Phillips head screwdriver from the looks of it and then follow the directions for reaming the hole and popping a new plug in. With that low of miles I would plug it and drive it until they all need replaced. That plug should last the life of the tire without problem and you won't have any leaking from it as long as you follow the instructions properly. Just about any automotive place, Walmart, Amazon or whatever will have something similar and they're super cheap too. Those kits are literally designed so that anybody can use them so it's kind of hard to screw up as long as you just stick with the instructions. Make sure you've got an air compressor handy so that you can re-air the tire once you're finished. Other than some sort of air source and possibly a pair of pliers or a screwdriver though you don't need any tools.

You don't need tools other than what's included with the plug kit that was pictured above. They're cheap and easy to use. Just pull the vehicle forward so you can get good access to where the screw is, pull the thing out with pliers or a Phillips head screwdriver from the looks of it and then follow the directions for reaming the hole and popping a new plug in. With that low of miles I would plug it and drive it until they all need replaced. That plug should last the life of the tire without problem and you won't have any leaking from it as long as you follow the instructions properly. Just about any automotive place, Walmart, Amazon or whatever will have something similar and they're super cheap too. Those kits are literally designed so that anybody can use them so it's kind of hard to screw up as long as you just stick with the instructions. Make sure you've got an air compressor handy so that you can re-air the tire once you're finished. Other than some sort of air source and possibly a pair of pliers or a screwdriver though you don't need any tools.
I guess i can see how exposed it is when i turn my wheels to the left but I was guessing it was too far inside that I wouldn’t be able ti access it without removing the wheel. But also if it’s only $15 to plug it I don’t mind just paying it for convenience.

challenge accepted :cool:
When you pull the nail note the path it took into the tire. If it went in at 45* and you’re pushing at 90* you won’t get past the steel belt. To be successful you have must get through the tire.

I guess i can see how exposed it is when i turn my wheels to the left but I was guessing it was too far inside that I wouldn’t be able ti access it without removing the wheel. But also if it’s only $15 to plug it I don’t mind just paying it for convenience.
Jack the car up, makes it easier to get to the tire, but removing the tire does help.

When you pull the nail note the path it took into the tire. If it went in at 45* and you’re pushing at 90* you won’t get past the steel belt. To be successful you have must get through the tire.

Jack the car up, makes it easier to get to the tire, but removing the tire does help.
I think you misunderstood the challenge.. I'm trying to prove that the human race is indeed ignorant

My man! (said affectionately, insert whatever pronoun you identify with to avoid offense as a necessary)
The ring on my hand makes my wife think I identify as a superhero with the chores she has lined up for me

Unfortunately I don't have a jack. I did try and turn the wheel and it might be doable depending upon how big the tools are to insert the plug. I have right angle drivers that the screwdriver wouldn't be an issue.

Unfortunately I don't have a jack. I did try and turn the wheel and it might be doable depending upon how big the tools are to insert the plug. I have right angle drivers that the screwdriver wouldn't be an issue.

Please take advantage of our free flat repair service. Here is a LINK to what is serviceable. From your picture, it looks like it is a 1/4 inch in from the shoulder. We would also rebuild the TPMS and rebalance the assembly. All at no cost to you. 👍

Please take advantage of our free flat repair service. Here is a LINK to what is serviceable. From your picture, it looks like it is a 1/4 inch in from the shoulder. We would also rebuild the TPMS and rebalance the assembly. All at no cost to you. 👍
Thanks! Great to get a direct comment from you. It’s unfortunately 40 minutes to the nearest Discount Tire so scheduling might be tough.

Reactions: Discount Tire
It’s about at this point where I think the ROI is greatest to have someone do it 😂
On my hands/knees for an hour (especially the first time), or just drive over and wait 🤔😁

Just a heads-up that reaming the hole and driving the plug into the hole takes a lot more strength and leverage than most people expect it to. It doesn’t just slide in and out, and the hole needs to be big enough.

Good luck however you decide!

Sorry for the fuzzy photo, but it was a screen grab from a video because I didn't know where the nail actually was... but I feel like this should be patchable right?
View attachment 1030079

It's on the front passenger tire so the nail is on the inside portion. Tesla told me that this was not repairable and the tire needed to be replaced which really sucks since the car isn't even a year old yet. If I have to replace the tire then I'm probably just going to accelerate my plan of getting a new wheel setup.
I feel your pain. I've had nails in both rear tires, the right rear a second time with two nails in it. At least here in New Jersey the Tesla Tire Van comes right to my house to replace and balance the new tires.

Attachments

• Tesla Nail Right Rear IMG_9847.JPG
    Tesla Nail Right Rear IMG_9847.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Tesla Nail RR IMG_0330.jpg
    Tesla Nail RR IMG_0330.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Tesla Tire Repair Van IMG_9762.JPG
    Tesla Tire Repair Van IMG_9762.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 8
It’s about at this point where I think the ROI is greatest to have someone do it 😂
On my hands/knees for an hour (especially the first time), or just drive over and wait 🤔😁

Just a heads-up that reaming the hole and driving the plug into the hole takes a lot more strength and leverage than most people expect it to. It doesn’t just slide in and out, and the hole needs to be big enough.

Good luck however you decide!
I don’t mind learning new skills so the time isn’t the worst! My bigger fear is doing it wrong though and having to pay for a tow haha

Was there a charge for it? I feel like I wouldn’t have any better luck with mobile service since I went to the service center.
Of course they charge. Elon wouldn't have it any other way. It is much nicer to wait for the tire van to show up in my driveway in my house than schlepping from one tire place to another to have some inexperienced kid put a plug in that may or may not hold or possibly lead to a blowout.
I often have my three grandkids with me and I'm not about to take the risk. One accident as a result of a tire failure is going to cost a lot more than the price of a new tire. Many other automobile manufactures and tire shops will no longer plug a tire.