Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Narrow Carport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 MY. I have hit the rear right panel twice now backing up into my narrow carport. I bought Enhanced Autopilot for the Auto-Park feature and found out it is not available because Tesla Vision is not available. I am afraid to use the carport now. I cannot afford any more damage to the car. It didn't even alert me when I got too close to the carport. When the side mirrors fold in, it's harder to see along the sides. What do other people with narrow carports do?

I don't need to back into a narrow garage/carport, so I don't have this problem. However, I can think of a suggestion. Back halfway in with perfect alignment, then mark the floor/ground to match up with the parking lines you see in your reverse camera display. When backing into your carport in the future, have your side mirrors folded, and match your camera display lines with the lines you marked on the floor/ground. (Let us know if this is reasonable for you, and if it works.)

Reactions: Kupe and kt2062
Dunno, you probably got your reasons to back into your car port. I have a relatively narrow garage. For whatever reason, since from long before Tesla, I've always drove in frontwards and backed out. Backing out with the Teslas has been easy, what with the side/rear view giving pretty clear navigation on not hitting anything, not to mention the mirrors auto folding.

Dunno, you probably got your reasons to back into your car port. I have a relatively narrow garage. For whatever reason, since from long before Tesla, I've always drove in frontwards and backed out. Backing out with the Teslas has been easy, what with the side/rear view giving pretty clear navigation on not hitting anything, not to mention the mirrors auto folding.
You probably have an older Tesla with USS. Mine does not and the Vision isn't that helpful. That is why I wanted the autopark. Ihave been backing up into the carport because my charger is located in the back of the carport. Also it is hard to back out of my driveway with all the cars parked on my street.

I don't need to back into a narrow garage/carport, so I don't have this problem. However, I can think of a suggestion. Back halfway in with perfect alignment, then mark the floor/ground to match up with the parking lines you see in your reverse camera display. When backing into your carport in the future, have your side mirrors folded, and match your camera display lines with the lines you marked on the floor/ground. (Let us know if this is reasonable for you, and if it works.)
Now that is a useful suggestion. I wonder if the Tesla would recognize the white lines as well the way they do in a parking lot sometimes.

I have a 2023 MY. I have hit the rear right panel twice now backing up into my narrow carport. I bought Enhanced Autopilot for the Auto-Park feature and found out it is not available because Tesla Vision is not available. I am afraid to use the carport now. I cannot afford any more damage to the car. It didn't even alert me when I got too close to the carport. When the side mirrors fold in, it's harder to see along the sides. What do other people with narrow carports do?

are you already using the side camera view as well?

my garage is pretty narrow but i dont have to fold the mirrors in to fit so if i get just one mirror an inch from the edge i know the whole car is good... also my garage opens up after i get in so only the entrance door is a challenge

You probably have an older Tesla with USS. Mine does not and the Vision isn't that helpful. That is why I wanted the autopark. Ihave been backing up into the carport because my charger is located in the back of the carport. Also it is hard to back out of my driveway with all the cars parked on my street.
Well, the SO and I do have a pair of older Teslas (2018 M3, 2021 MY) with the USS and so on. But it's a two car garage, both sides are narrow. When putting in the Wall Connector, I took one look at the whole situation and said, "Y'know, the WC would probably work a whole lot better if it were between the two doors with a longer cable.." and went with that.

Well, the SO and I do have a pair of older Teslas (2018 M3, 2021 MY) with the USS and so on. But it's a two car garage, both sides are narrow. When putting in the Wall Connector, I took one look at the whole situation and said, "Y'know, the WC would probably work a whole lot better if it were between the two doors with a longer cable.." and went with that.
That sounds like a good alternative, but that is not an option with a one car carport. I can still use the charger if I pull the car in head first. I read somewhere else in the forum about putting down white duct tape lines, so I'm trying that out. It seems to be working. The hard part is positioning the lines.