Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav and IC dead after car sits overnight, sometimes (early 2016 with atom MCU)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I leave the car alone for 18-36 hours, half the time give or take, when I get in the car the instrument cluster and nav/MCU are black. The car will start and drive after some prodding (gear down / brake pedal / gear down / brake pedal / etc) the lights will turn on and the car will come to life, but the IC and nav are still off.

When it's in this state, there's no reverse camera or signal lights, and the hvac are left in whatever state the car was in before.

I had the MCU upgraded a while ago; it's a bit silly that this is happening with the new model as well.

I can keep the car "broken" and drive it around; if I use the 2 finger reboot it'll eventually reboot and work properly.

Anyone else see this same behavior?

As in "upgraded", did you have the entire MCU replaced with MCU2? or, did you have the eMMC chip replaced (like most of us did back in 2021, from 8 GB to 64 GB)? If your IC and MCU2 are having issues, you should let your Tesla Service Center know. When I had my MCU1 (2014 Model S 60) replaced with MCU2 (in April 2023), the Service Center did a firmware update, transferred my data files (driver preferences, navigation data, etc.) and the entire install took about 3-4 hours. I now get software updates, and the everything works normally.

Your service center should do a diagnostic to see what's wrong. I haven't had any problems with my MCU2 , and what you're experiencing is not normal, and it's dangerous.

Out of curiosity, when last was your 12 volt battery replaced?

- James