Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on Autopilot Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather scary event on Nav on Autopilot yesterday. Driving 70 on a 65mph freeway (divided roadway) that turns into a 2-way 55mph (undivided) road at one point. Without notice at the point where the road turns to 55 the car rapidly slowed from 70 to 55 (like hard-braked) and worse, the wheel, which I had my hands on, yanked hard from left to right, causing the car to literally swerve left/right. No one was immediately behind me thankfully, and as I said I already had my hands on the wheel (of course). I'm not sure what would have happened if, as is usual in CA, I was being tailgated at 70 or if I didn't have manual control of the steering wheel (which you are supposed to do, again, of course). Makes me wonder about using Autopilot. Ever happen to anyone else? Any ideas why? I know it's Beta, but my wife was not happy. She may not be a FSD fan quite yet.

i use caution when ever the road markings or road type changes as auto pilot is still under development and the software is still learning. For now it is safer to enjoy the ride on auto-pilot when you are on a divided and highway.

Unfortunately - the product isn't mature. My hand is always on the wheel - ready to take action - when I think it will be potentially confused - or - where it has to maneuver... Ive had a few instances as recently as this week like you describe. I can't see how Elon believes these things will be driverless - where you can just unleash your car to make money picking up passengers. I cannot see it for years - even then... will get itself in trouble...

Reactions: wmself