Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System Routing, sometimes random? Shortest by default?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm leaving the Miner, MO Supercharger, heading to Jonesboro, AR. The route is simple, you go 55, to 412 and follow the signs to Jonesboro. The system decides to route me on the farm roads, instead of 2 hours, that way is 2.5 hours plus. WTH? You have to be out of your mind to route someone to the Missouri and Arkansas farm roads, instead of US 55. On the way home, I was leaving the Miner, MO Supercharger and found a slower routing choice in the hour or so back to my house. That would have only cost 5 minutes, not as big a deal. I was a little surprised they didn't know that Illinois 57 and 51 intersect, but could could be running a 6 month old construction detour?

I mostly use the Nav system when I'm in the city, and don't know where I'm going. So, if they insert stupid road choices, I don't notice it.

I have had GPS units that allow you to choose fastest route vs shortest route, Tesla doesn't seem to have that choice. Are they choosing shortest mileage by default?

Step 1. Mount your 4-6" phone with Google maps next to the 17" display.
Step 2. Ignore Tesla nav and use your phones map
Step 3. Stay happy!

But seriously, the Tesla nav is horrible. Don't trust it. Always double check it.