Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the navigation system choose a route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibdb

Any excuse for a road trip
Apr 29, 2015
Puyallup, WA
This seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I can't decide how the navigation system choose which route to display.

In my old Honda, the nav could route by a direct route, easy route, or fastest route. It didn't consider traffic. The Tesla nav has the option to consider traffic, and use that to decide which route would be fastest, but doesn't necessarily suggest the fastest route for me to follow, nor does it chose the shortest route, nor does it choose the route I would consider to be easiest. I do have the option to reroute for a faster trip selected, and have the threshold at about 5 minutes.

Example - Leaving my house to go to a particular destination, I'll use the nav because of potential traffic issues on one of the three most common ways I take. Each route is similar in total distance, though one route involves more up and downhill travel than the others. The nav will often suggest my least favored route first and give me a time estimate -- say 25 minutes and arriving by 4:30pm. That indicates to me that I'm unlikely to have traffic issues as the "preferred" route seems to be the one that travels through the area most likely to have slowing if it exists.

If I choose a different route and start driving that direction, the nav will adjust and reroute. It might now display that the trip will take 29 minutes arriving by 4:34pm. I'll ignore the reroute and continue for another minute and the nav will adjust again, now displaying a route that will take 19 minutes arriving by 4:25pm. Half way through that route, I'll ignore a suggested turn and find the nav updates from 10 minutes remaining arriving by 4:25 to 7 minutes remaining and arriving by 4:22. The original route would have been slower by more than the threshold that should have triggered a reroute when the whole trip started.

Does anyone know what criteria are actually being used? Things seems to be much worse since the latest updates. A couple of weeks ago I was provided with a route that was estimated to take 3.5 hours for a trip that Waze estimated at 90 minutes. The Waze route took main streets and major highways along a fairly direct route, so I have no idea what the Tesla nav was thinking when it came up with a 3.5 hour route.

I just got my 90D on 3/24 and have noticed that the built in navigation usually provides routes that take longer than Google Maps or Waze. It seems to be suggesting routes with the shortest distance, but can't tell for sure. That would make sense if trying to save battery but not if trying to save time. I am curious what you find.

I have not looked closely at the route that the NAV sent me on last night in eastern North Carolina. However, I decided to follow it to the new Supercharger in Warsaw, NC. Wow! I got on winding 45mph roads and really felt like I was going out of the way. The familiar route for me was all 4 lane highways! I am going to have to see if I can figure why the system chose the route it did.

I have noticed some changes in routing behavior with the most recent maps and update. On one common route that takes me generally to the northwest I'll be routed through a residential neighborhood with 25mph speed limits and stop signs over a 30mph arterial two blocks to the east. It might be fractionally shorter, but definitely slower.

One of my theories was that the nav was choosing routes that had the most complete information history over those that were less traveled and would have the least data. But that doesn't fit with the route that takes me through a less traveled residential neighborhood over a commonly traveled arterial with faster average speeds.

I also thought that shorter might be ranked higher than faster, but I've had it choose a slower 17.5 mile route through a heavily traveled area over a faster 12.4 mile route that's still on main arterials, but less traveled ones.

:confused:

Today I put in an address and it directed me to a different state entirely! Yes, I am serious. I even included the zip code. I tried re-entering the same destination another 5 times before giving up and using my iPhone. Even when I got 3 minutes from the destination I tried re-entering and it kept redirecting me.
Still trying to get my arms around this.

I have a 45 mile commute each way to work. I use the navigation religiously and it seems to put me on routes that I would never pick but it gets me home quicker with less traffic than the two or three routes I used to follow out of habit. So far, the navigation is much better than previous vehicles I have owned. Especially my XM/Traffic aware GPS what was "Traffic Aware But Don't Care".

While the Ford navigation was purely BS, it did have a concept of "shortest, faster, most economical, and some avoidance capabilities such as avoiding toll roads, ferries, etc. It also had a way to avoid areas you mark on the map which you never want to be routed through. Tesla navigation desperately needs this. There are just some areas of town I don't want to be in or perhaps roads that are closed that are not reflected on the maps.

This seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I can't decide how the navigation system choose which route to display.

This is a closely guarded trade secret, and I could probably get in trouble for disclosing what I know, but what the heck...it's likely to get out some day anyway...

Without getting into all the complicated details, let's just say that the crux of the system involves several well-trained monkeys and a large dart board.

I hope I haven't given away too much!

I've been disappointed with nav so far. I won't type out a long story here, but after trying it on some longer trips, I don't trust it. (I turned off trip planner too - which was REALLY squirrel-y)

I prefer to prop up my iPhone and use google maps to route me. At least I get two or three route options at the beginning and excellent traffic based route alteration along the way. I do a 3000 mile r/t every summer for the past 5, and based on this, trust the google maps app completely.

While I am no fan of google spying on my every move, I wish Tesla would simply use Google completely for the nav, or finally open up to apple carplay.

For such an amazing car, this is a real glaring shortcoming.

Reactions: Andyw2100
upload_2016-4-21_6-38-56.png

Reactions: Andyw2100
Going back to this after a particularly bizarre route selected today (a 13+ mile detour to get across an intersection).

How many of you have the "traffic aware" routing option selected? I know that I did, but I think I'm going to turn it off for a while and see if it's any better.

Going back to this after a particularly bizarre route selected today (a 13+ mile detour to get across an intersection).

How many of you have the "traffic aware" routing option selected? I know that I did, but I think I'm going to turn it off for a while and see if it's any better.
Turn it OFF (traffic aware routing option)!!! Until Tesla fixes the Nav system this will contribute to unfavorable routes.

Last edited:
I have a 45 mile commute each way to work. I use the navigation religiously and it seems to put me on routes that I would never pick but it gets me home quicker with less traffic than the two or three routes I used to follow out of habit. So far, the navigation is much better than previous vehicles I have owned. Especially my XM/Traffic aware GPS what was "Traffic Aware But Don't Care".

While the Ford navigation was purely BS, it did have a concept of "shortest, faster, most economical, and some avoidance capabilities such as avoiding toll roads, ferries, etc. It also had a way to avoid areas you mark on the map which you never want to be routed through. Tesla navigation desperately needs this. There are just some areas of town I don't want to be in or perhaps roads that are closed that are not reflected on the maps.
I have noticed this with Waze, which is why I love it. Re-routes around traffic delays. But it sounds like I will still be using Waze with my 60D when it comes in :(

Here's some behavior that I *really* don't understand: A year or two ago, a new bridge opened across the Mississippi here in St. Louis. The nav system won't route you onto the bridge, despite the bridge being visible on Tesla's maps. If you drive on to the bridge, it will route you starting from nearby local roads at the bridge's start or end. It behaves exactly as if the bridge doesn't exist, despite the map showing it correctly, and despite traffic data being visible on the bridge.

The dart-throwing monkeys are drunk.

Here's some behavior that I *really* don't understand: A year or two ago, a new bridge opened across the Mississippi here in St. Louis. The nav system won't route you onto the bridge, despite the bridge being visible on Tesla's maps. If you drive on to the bridge, it will route you starting from nearby local roads at the bridge's start or end. It behaves exactly as if the bridge doesn't exist, despite the map showing it correctly, and despite traffic data being visible on the bridge.

The dart-throwing monkeys are drunk.

See post #150 in the thread below, was it the Musial Bridge? If so I thought @FlasherZ said it was fixed with the latest Navigon map update.
map updates!

I have the reverse problem ... yesterday Nav tried to take me along farm tracks to get to my destination (not once but multiple times as I continued past them), in the end there was no obvious way to determine which "roads" on the map were navigable and which weren't ... also two highway closures on my way home in the evening, neither shown on Google Maps traffic ...

... I'll use Waze until Nav is fixed. But the recharger socket (new centre console) means I can't see the phone screen, so I'll have to rig something up with a USB lead - annoying.